PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Weapon-G
06-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Well i my friend sent me a copy of Final fantasy tactics advance rom and i just played it in japanese... Its alright. im guessing in the begining they have a snowball fight but i cant get it together. well if anybody have played FFTA i wanna know some feedback because im still not sure if i should buy the game or not

Nakor TheBlue Rider
06-10-2003, 07:20 PM
No one has played it in english.....Very few anyway.....

If you Liked FFT and the little bit of FFTA you did play then buy it.

I loved tactics but I am not so sure about buying A GBA just for that ONE game.

Shyguy
07-21-2003, 10:13 PM
The original Final Fantasy Tactics for PlayStation introduced tactical role-playing games to a much larger audience. Melding a distinct style of gameplay -- as seen in Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle, etc. -- with the widely known Final Fantasy brand, FFT brought the genre thousands of new fans. A new generation of gamers was drawn to its epic battles, many of which took more than an hour, that required thoughtful precision. Though the style was new to many, FFT had moogles, chocobos, black mages, and more to keep things familiar.

However, it certainly wasn't without its problems; it was overwrought with extraneous game systems and stats, giving it a frustrating randomness and an overly steep learning curve. Hardcore fans may scoff, but there is something to be said for well-designed and communicative gaming experiences as opposed to layers of baffling stattitude. But players who were able to overlook this excessive complexity were rewarded with one of the finest tactical-battle games to ever hit a console.

That said, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance has proven thus far to be a more satisfying experience overall than the original. Basic game systems no longer include useless stats, such as zodiac signs, to add "depth." The game's core systems have been boiled down to just the important and fun parts, simplifying much of what was often times tedious and unrewarding in the game's PlayStation forebear.

The Joy of Tactics

Advertisement
In a nod to the first game's setting, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance starts out in the modern-day city of Ivalice. Not all is well in Ivalice -- the exceedingly effeminate main character, Marche, has a brother confined to a wheelchair by sickness and his new friend, Mewt, just lost his mother, causing his depressed father to sink into drunken unemployment in her absence. After a tactical snowball fight with the schoolyard bullies, Mewt reveals a book known as Final Fantasy to his new friends. The three escape their downtrodden lives in the pages of the book, pretending they are knights. Once they finish the book and turn in for the night, however, something happens -- the world is remade in the image of Final Fantasy, and our game begins.

As one might guess from this synopsis, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance eschews the complex and immensely political storyline of the original for something lighter, no doubt to appeal to the game's younger target audience. The Kingdom of Ivalice created by the book isn't supposed to be a real world with politics and history, but rather a setting conducive to a wide variety of fantasy tactical situations.

Get your war on. As noted earlier, the battles in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance have been reduced to the essentials, and move at a much faster clip as a result. The most immediately beneficial removal is the original game's overly complex "Active Time" system, which required the player to constantly worry about timing -- now, all spells and abilities are cast during your turn, greatly increasing the pace of battles. In addition to this major change, a number of smaller but equally welcome changes are also present, such as less random to-hit percentages and the ability to undo a movement command. While some of these changes reduce the player's strategic options, the game should be more fun for most -- as with the Pokémon games, the truly hardcore strategist will find greater reward in the game's multiplayer modes anyway.

^ ^ from gamespy

Dalkaen
07-22-2003, 04:55 AM
I know a die-hard FFT fan who completed the game and his synopsis was a lot more simple: "It sucks."

nickwilson
07-24-2003, 08:25 PM
i would have to the game and play it to make my final disition to the game but ff is alwasy been my fav and will always be so i would bye it maybe

nickwilson
07-24-2003, 08:27 PM
sorry about that i got distracted for a montent i think faster than i type

Dalkaen
07-26-2003, 10:03 AM
http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/images/edit.gif Know it. Love it. Use it.

nickwilson
07-27-2003, 03:35 AM
thanks did not see that symbol hey what is your fav final fantasy and have you seen the new ff 11 or 12 ,13 will they be like tactics or 9 and so on thanks :cool:

Inuyasha23
07-31-2003, 04:33 PM
Well i've been playing the rom and i just bought FFT for playstation and i know i can't fairly make a judgement because the rom is in jap. If i had to vote know i'de say buy the game if you want to play a new storyline, but dont expect anything in the line of gameplay. The GBA is pretty good but theres nothing you can do to make a handheld game as good as a playstation etc.

Anyone whose playing the rom know how to beat the forth fight?? I think it has a special objective like save whatshisname or defeate the leader.:choc: :mog: :choc: :mog: :choc: :mog: :choc: :mog: :choc: :mog: :choc: :mog: :choc:

The Amazing Spiderman
07-31-2003, 07:47 PM
I know why FFT is better than FFTA: there is no fantasy world. there is a good plot. Characters have some nice bios.

Behold the Void
08-01-2003, 08:04 AM
Odd... I talked to someone who said that FFTA was a recreation of FFT for the GBA. I take it that this info was faulty?

Liquid Glass
08-01-2003, 10:04 PM
Yeah I was wondering about that, is it a remake for the GBA or a whole new game with the same fighting concept?

Behold the Void
08-02-2003, 12:42 AM
I looked it up last night. Apparently, it IS a new storyline. It seems a bit more "kiddie" oriented, but many of the reviews I read were favorable. The graphics aren't AS good as they were on the PS1, but they aren't bad, and the summons look pretty good. Some of the new concepts (such as the "Law" thing where certain items, weapons, or magic is forbidden in different battles) seem iffy, but the fact that you can later counteract these and turn them on your foes seems an interesting idea. Plus, it seems that there are to be over 40 job classes, also a good thing. Then the new available races (including moogle) also looks interesting. I'd say this game is worth buying.