PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Poll Idea I might try.

Rude
06-11-2003, 08:46 PM
This idea was inspired by a thread that was just posted on General FF, albeit with an incoherent subject that I can't recall, and Dr. Unne's recent FF1 tournament.

I'm in the process of learning PHP (which is what this forum is coded in if I'm not mistaken). In order to do something fun to test out my knowledge and learn a little more I think I'm going to create a tournment poll of characters from all Final Fantasies to determine who everyone in the Final Fantasy community considers the best character. This will include only playable characters and villians and will probably go from FF1-9, without Tactics and without X considering I haven't played either of the two or know anything about them (other than the fact that Wakka is the worst name I've ever heard).

I'm not sure what criteria I'm going to have the characters judged on or how many characters I'm going to include (64 perhaps) or if I'm even going to be able to do this or find the leisure time to. But let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions to provide on something else I could do with this idea.

the blitzer
06-11-2003, 09:26 PM
I am going to tell you the charicter names of 10 so you can inculded 10 in your poll.

Tidus
Yuna
Seymour
Auron
Lulu
Rikku
wakka

PhoenixAsh
06-11-2003, 09:33 PM
I'm going to tell you the character names in X with a chance of winning so you can include them in your poll.

Scar Face
06-12-2003, 12:25 AM
I think its a good Idea.Heres some Characters to Include in it:

Dark Knight Cecil(FF4)
Kain Highwind(FF4)
Edge(FF4)
Cloud(FF7)
Squall(FF8)
Shadow(FF6)
Sephiroth(FF7)
Zeromus(FF4) Either form.
Vincent(FF7)
Zidane(FF9)

PhoenixAsh
06-12-2003, 12:56 AM
Actually on a serious note, make sure you include Jenova in the FFVII one, she whips Sephiroth.

Psychotic
06-12-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix 17
I'm going to tell you the character names in X with a chance of winning so you can include them in your poll.

That's not quite true. Auron'd win at least one match, because he had a sword. Yeah, Tidus had one too, but what the hell can a scrawny little wimp do with a sword made out of water?

PhoenixAsh
06-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Yeah I know, but I thought it might have had less effect that way, plus I have one or two issues with Auron so I just left it.

Flying Mullet
06-12-2003, 06:31 PM
Are you going to make the poll a free-for-all 64 character bracket or are you going to make brackets for characters in each game, then let the winner(or top two/three) from each game bracket duke it out in the finals?

Rude
06-16-2003, 07:56 PM
It would be a complete mix if I did this.

Every bracket matchup would be completely random... so you could have something like Celes vs. Kuja in the first round.... I could just assign each character I would use a number, then use a random number function to determine who squares off against who.

This sort of thing will be off in the future though (perhaps in July)... I'm a pretty busy guy these days.

Rude
06-17-2003, 07:45 PM
Ok, so I took all of the main playable characters from FF2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and I have 63 total (only the main 4 from FF2 however). Now, I didn't include Seifer from FF8 because I'm unsure as to whether or not you actually have him in the party or if he remains a villian throughout the game (I've only played maybe 6 hours worth of FF8). So really don't know if I need to include him or not. If I include him that makes it an even 64. If not then I'll need to throw someone else in who is a quasi playable character (General Leo, Beatrix... an onion kid etc. etc.).

So without spoiling anything in FF8 for me, tell me if Seifer needs to be in this poll or not based on him being a playable character for any significant portion of the game.

zacks_clone
06-17-2003, 07:55 PM
...well....if you have played the game for atleast 6 hourse you should know he was once in your party

Rude
06-17-2003, 08:34 PM
So without spoiling anything in FF8 for me, tell me if Seifer needs to be in this poll or not based on him being a playable character for any significant portion of the game.

Flying Mullet
06-17-2003, 08:36 PM
You play him more than Leo and less than/same as Beatrix, so if you ask me I'd just pick one of the three and be done with it.

Rude
06-18-2003, 10:14 PM
!! Warning, Extremely Long Post, My Apologies in Advance !!

Ok, so I've made the brackets for my little tournament here. These brackets were formulated by assigning each character that I'm going to use a number between 1 and 64. I then went to http://www.random.org/sform.html and submited a random sequence for the numbers 1 through 64. Every 2 numbers the represented a matchup and I just inserted the character in for each corresponding number. (I hope that all just made sense).

Anyway, here are the brackets. The number before each name represents the game the character comes from. Some people have two names and I just included one of them, so as to clear any confusion.

Also, I included Palom and Porom as one character as I felt they wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell if they were separate. To fill in the last spot I put in an Onion Kid from FF3. Unless there is some huge request for some other character to fill this spot, it will remain as such.
I'll begin work on making this tournament live next week.

8 Irvine
9 Steiner

2 Maria
7 Barret

4 Edward
6 Setzer

7 Cloud
6 Sabin

6 Terra
6 Mog

7 Cait Sith
8 Qustis

7 Yuffie
2 Lionheart

9 Zidane
10 Rikku

9 Amarant
7 Vincent

10 Auron
7 Cid

9 Vivi
10 Lulu

10 Tidus
4 Cecil

7 RedXIII
6 Shadow

6 Gogo
10 Yuna

6 Relm
4 Kain

5 Krile
2 Guy

2 Frionel
8 Rinoa

8 Zell
4 Palom and Porom

6 Gau
4 Edge

7 Tifa
4 Rydia

6 Edgar
9 Dagger

4 Yang
6 Celes

8 Selphie
6 Umaro

6 Strago
3 Onionkid

9 Freya
5 Bartz

4 Cid
4 Tellah

5 Reina
4 Rosa

6 Locke
10 Kimahri

10 Wakka
5 Faris

7 Aeris
9 Eiko

8 Squall
6 Cyan

9 Quina
5 Galuf

Flying Mullet
06-18-2003, 10:49 PM
So I take it you don't want any responses/pm's on votes, but to wait until you make it live?

Rude
06-23-2003, 07:18 PM
This is going to be delayed a bit I'm afraid. The webserver here at school that I posted all of my ASP pages on does not have PHP installed on it.... so I'm going to look elsewhere. In the meantime I'm just going to get the layout working.