PDA

View Full Version : FF Straying

CalTT
06-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Is it just me or has final fantasy strayed away from the originals. OK so i never really took the time to play any of the nintendo versions but my all time favs have always been 7 & 8. I never did like 9 and 10 was also getteing somewhat farfetched for my taste too. And whats with this online stuff for 11??? in my opinion(of course) thats not the was a FF game is supposed to be. I have no probs whith the game changing ( for example the FFX battle system is one that i like) but when the essence of the game changes it just isin't a FF game anymore. the FF series stand for somthing and its slowly being destryed. Now i know i havent played them all and i havent play 11 yet either but if i cant play offline i dont think im going to give it a try. Now they're spending more time on graphics than anything else. of coure i like the new graphics too but what about the story.

im my opinion everything before 9 are some of the best games of all time!

Carlos

Pancaek
06-17-2003, 04:49 AM
Yes, the new FF's are straying from the old. FF9 isn't straying, though, because it's actually returning to the roots. 1 through 5 and Tactics were all medieval-style like 9. The series probably started straying at 6, although that was borderline. There was a lot of futuristic stuff with all the Magitek, but it still had some elements of traditional fantasy stuff. If anything, it reminds me more of Victorian times. 7 and 8 were where it really began to deviate. They're almost nothing like the earlier ones. There's too much technology, and the settings remind me too much of our modern world. 10 is kind of half-and-half like 6, but at least it's set in a world unrealistic enough to still qualify as fantasy and not sci-fi or real life. I'm not sure what 11 is exactly like, but there's no way I'm playing it.

Prodigy
06-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Straying can be a good thing though. If 7 had been medievil I doubt it would have been half as good as it was. 7 and 8 were my favourites. I didn't particularly like 9 because it was trying to be something that the fans wanted - not what Square wanted. Expanding into new areas and exploring new ideas can be beneficial.
I just hope Square don't make too many turkeys before they come up with the golden goose.

Blackmage
06-17-2003, 02:30 PM
In my opinion, Square strayed away from the roots starting with 7. I remember all the heavy advertising that they did for the game, so Square probably did it to appeal to new people, as well as those who've already played older FF's. Well, history tells all of that grand scheme; FF7 has become one of the best-selling games of all time, not to mention one of the best of all time.

Seeing the turnout with FF7, they went ahead and did FF8 in that fashion, and, as you can tell, it was another big hit.

Then, they went and did FF9, which flopped in comparison to FF7, if I'm correct; but, it was going back to the roots. It was still a great game in my opinion.

FFX has done well; well enough that Square Enix decided to make a direct sequel to it (Which, I have a feeling, will flop.).

FFXI goes back to the roots, that is definitely for sure; it's just that the twist to it is that it will be online, which could mean either the downfall or the success of the game: downfall because people will not want to get that stupid hard drive and the game for the PS2 (Which, if I'm correct, is still going to be normal price for a new game.) or not having nearly a good enough computer, not to mention the monthly cost; it could also be a big success if the game is just that good. I think it will be very interesting to see how FFXI will turn out.

And FFXII? Blarg, who knows?

CalTT
06-17-2003, 05:33 PM
I Dont mind with the fantasy and the medival(if thats wat its called) type of FF. But the story and mant aspects of the game are starting to lose their edge.(im my opinon of course) FF7 and FF8 are great games in the sense of charecter development and storyline. im more of "down to earth" type of guy. FF is are the only fantasey games that i play. I play them for fun not to pay 15 bucks a month just to enjoy a game i just purchased. FF11 may be a good game but i dont think it will have the same sales as the earlier games.

Carlos

Psychotic
06-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Just look at Black Mages in FFX-2... it just makes me want to cry. Well, no it doesn't, but for the sake of argument let's suppose it does.

zacks_clone
06-17-2003, 08:14 PM
i havent played 1-6 ...but from what you said they were 'midevil'...Hence the name 'Final Fantasy',the days of dragons and nights,and pricesses.The type of setting that most Fantasy novels and dreams and storys and fairytails and such took place on...Then care the sci-fi...7 and 8...I loved 7 and 8.'Final Sci-Fi' would be a better title for those,not final fantasy...And 10 sorta reminds me of a a sci-fi too...Remember Staw Wars?They have episodes one and two.You compair them to the orginals,it looks like a land of technolagy.In the originols,that was lost.so,as years went on,that was lost.Sorta like 7 and 8 were episodes one and two,and with 10(4,5,and 6) the thecnology was lost.still sci-fi

CalTT
06-18-2003, 07:10 PM
I dont think ony of the FF games should be considerded SCI-FI. Magic, talking animals (red XIII), and just the whole point of it makes it fantasy. i dont think this world will ever get to that point. mako energy and flying gardens...it all points to fantasy. ok maybe with the cars and space stations and things that resemble our world (in my opinion) just add to the story. Its somthing that we can relate to.

Carlos

Flying Mullet
06-18-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by CalTT
I dont think ony of the FF games should be considerded SCI-FI. Magic, talking animals (red XIII), and just the whole point of it makes it fantasy.
If you want to get techinical, Final Fantasies are in the fantasy genre, not the sci-fi genre. Fantasies are just that, fantasies, where fantasitical and impossible things happen, such as dragons and magic. Science Fiction is "near-possible" fiction, often in the future. The elements of Science Fiction, often including robots and travel to other planets, isn't impossible. Most stories start off as Science Fiction, until something impossible/fantasitical happens, then it becomes Fantasy.

Originally posted by CalTT I Dont mind with the fantasy and the medival(if thats wat its called) type of FF. But the story and mant aspects of the game are starting to lose their edge
I agree. There are only so many ways that someone can try to take over/destroy the world. I think that's why Square is getting so "interesting" in their stories now(read Final Fantasy VII-X) as they are reaching for new and original ideas. Many stories and plot twists that used to be unique and astounding are rather plain-jane these days. And with the rpg market flooded with junk, it's hard to stand out anymore.

CalTT
06-18-2003, 07:48 PM
The fact that the RPG market is flooded with junk makes it easier to stand out.(asuming that the game isnt junk either) If square were interested in making lots of money they should redo FF7 & FF8 and change some of it(the ending in particlary). Im sure alot of people would jump at a game like that.(i know i would) they already started with FF1 & FF2 eventaully they'll get to 7 & 8.

Carlos