PDA

View Full Version : Why dpes everyone hate Bartz

MJN SEIFER
06-19-2003, 09:39 PM
he is my favorite FF hero!!

ShivaBlizzard8
06-20-2003, 01:10 AM
I don't think everyone hates Bartz, but he does have less character development then some of the other FF heroes, which makes him more difficult to relate to or form an attachment towards. The only part of the game I felt that I really got a sense of who Bartz was is the optional visit to his hometown. The part when he hears the music box play and has memories of his parents, then goes and visits their graves is rather touching. Perhaps if the story had gone more into that, Bartz would have more sympathetic fangirls. Other than that, he is a pretty generic hero. And I think guys tend to make fun of him because he spends the entire game pimping around with three good-looking girls and does little in the way of going after any of them. . . ;)

TheAbominatrix
06-20-2003, 01:20 AM
The fact that his Japanese name is Butz kinda kills most fangirl obsessions. Though I dunno why.

When I saw this thread I originally thought it said 'Bratz' as in those little hoe bag dolls some coroporation has been pandering to little kids. I was dissapointed when I re-read the name, no rant for poor Abominatrix.

crono_logical
06-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Perhaps they're all jealous that he gets to travel with 3 girls towards the end of the game :p

Psychotic
06-20-2003, 06:37 PM
People hate Bartz!? what!? I've never heard anyone say that! and if they do, they're probably concerned that he doesn't have a silly haircut... er more silly and a strange sort of sword or something.

MJN SEIFER
06-28-2003, 01:11 PM
And I think guys tend to make fun of him because he spends the entire game pimping around with three good-looking girls and does little in the way of going after any of them. . .

that means nothing he probably isn't INTRESTESTED in those particular girls he's focused on the job at maybe he already HAS a girlfreind at home who knows (Ok maybe not but one girl in Lix seems to be close!)

eestlinc
07-05-2003, 05:38 AM
butz is awesome. he is a good fighter, isn't messed up in the head despite coming from a broken home, and runs around with the ladies all day. The lack of "detailed backstory and character development" to me is more a lack of "crap melodrama thrown in to distract you from the dearth of gameplay options".

Wightraven
07-05-2003, 09:10 AM
Butz is a killer guy. I liked him. He's a bit of a dork, but he's not a total jerk like Squall, not a complete nutjob like Cloud, etc. etc. He's just a good 'ol adventurer, and that's damn fine with me.

eestlinc
07-05-2003, 09:31 AM
he's an animal lover too.

Dalkaen
07-08-2003, 07:38 PM
He just seems like a random generic adventurer to me. He's not that well developed, but I don't hate him, or anything. He's an acceptable leader for your party, so its all good.

Celes
08-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Bartz was a good leader and a good friend in the game, but he was kind of ho-hum. I was very surprised he didn't try to go after Reina, although in the beginning someone says to him something like, "go after the girl you like" or something along those lines. What I really couldn't figure out is why they made Bartz's hair white in the opening and ending CG scenes (for the playstation) It makes him look like a fairy! When I saw his dorky white hair, I don't know, it just didn't fit.

ShivaBlizzard8
08-02-2003, 05:29 AM
Lol. . . I believe they gave him white hair because the FMV's were modeled after the original Amano drawings, in which Bartz had white hair. Similarly, the drawings depicted Lenna and Faris as having reddish-blonde hair rather than pink and purple, and so theirs was also changed. :)

MJN SEIFER
08-19-2003, 10:28 PM
I was just wondering is Anammo offical? Beacuse it is always what they go by! there have been a lot of Bartz fan arts (Most famous was the Berzerker Bartz Fan art story (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=524578) which was used on the internet to provide roomers towards an FFV-2!! (I got in touch with my freind and he pointed me to the Website on his computer so I have finally revealed the Identity of that picture [The post were asked about it was deleted and that would also be reviving]

(Clip in link is actually Michael Jackson - Forgive my mistake!)

MagicKnight Locke
08-19-2003, 10:33 PM
because that guy gets to travel :mad2:

Sephex
08-20-2003, 04:22 AM
I never really heard about this "Bartz/Butz hating".

He is nowhere near my favorite character...I don't see why anyone can hate him though.

ShivaBlizzard8
08-20-2003, 05:12 AM
I was just wondering is Anammo offical? Beacuse it is always what they go by! there have been a lot of Bartz fan arts

Yoshitaka Amano has been the offical concept artist for, I believe, all of the Final Fantasys to date. Even the character designs for the newer games, such as 8, 9, and 10, were based off of his work. If by "they," you mean Squaresoft, than yeah, they generally go by his work since that is what he is hired to do! :p In the older games such as FF5, the sprites differ from the orginal drawings because the old-school Nintendos which the games were designed for couldn't support the detailed graphics of Amano's art. However, in the later PSX games, his drawings are very similar to the finished product. The one below from VII is a good example:

Celes
08-21-2003, 06:45 AM
That was an awesome pic, ShivaBlizzard8, where did you get it? I looove all of Yoshitaka Amano's artwork. I have only seen some from ff6 and ff9, none from any other ff games, including ff5.

ShivaBlizzard8
08-21-2003, 06:30 PM
I don't remember exactly where I found that particular pic, Celes, but I know I've never found a site which includes all of Amano's work. However, I do know a few good sites that have nice chunks of them - usually particular character or game shrines.

For instance, Shinryuu's Lair, the best FF5 website out there, has the biggest collection of FF5 Amano art I've ever seen:
http://www.syldra.net/lair/amano/amano.htm

This site has the biggest collection of FF7 Amano art I've found, including that pic you liked:
http://members.easyspace.com/jenova/cha_amano.html

At this site, go to "Image archives" then "Amano art" then "heroes" to find an awesome FF4 Amano archive:
http://paladin.5u.com/FF4/chronicle/

A handful of FFX art here:
http://www.tbi.net/~max/ffxart.htm

For FF8, go here and scroll down to the pics labeled Amano:
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff8/ff8art.html

Well, that's most of the ones I have. For more, go to google and type in Amano art along with the title of the game or character you're looking for. I agree - his work is amazing! :)

The Man
08-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Note: FF7, FF8, and FF10 were character-designed by Tetsuya Nomura, I believe. FF1-6 and FF9, though, use Amano designs.

Sefie1999AD
08-21-2003, 08:11 PM
What The Man said, I also thought Nomura did all character designs in FF7.

Originally posted by crono_logical
Perhaps they're all jealous that he gets to travel with 3 girls towards the end of the game :p

Don't forget that all those girls are princesses. xD

Anyway, I think Butz isn't a bad character. He might not have that much development, but he still has his great moments, and he's great in battles. If you play through the game at least twice, you'll notice that his storyline in the whole story set makes a lot of sense.

ShivaBlizzard8
08-21-2003, 10:03 PM
Note: FF7, FF8, and FF10 were character-designed by Tetsuya Nomura, I believe. FF1-6 and FF9, though, use Amano designs.

Right as usual, The Man. :p I didn't really specify that although Amano still did the conceptual art for 7, 8, and 10, he wasn't considered the offical character designer for those particular games. My bad. >_<

The Man
08-21-2003, 11:17 PM
I actually wasn't aware of Amano's involvement at all. :o Odd. =P

Flare_Star
08-27-2003, 12:44 PM
this is kinda off topic....:beer:

i thought amano was doin all of them, actually. never heard of tetsuya numara, no wait maybe i have..

back to topic...i never knew anyone hated bartz, though he is still not my fave character

Kenshin IV
08-27-2003, 06:00 PM
Nomura does a lot of other Square games, not just the Final Fantasy series. He acts as other roles, too. For example, he was the director of Kingdom Hearts.
Amano has done art for Seven, Eight, and Ten, but he didn't design the characters. For Seven and Eight, I'm actually glad he did the designs, eventhough Amano is my favorite artist from Japan. Amano's designs just wouldn't have looked right when transformed into 3D. Also, the dark theme of Seven, and the realistic look of Eight fit perfectly with Nomura's designs.
However, I think Amano could have been able to do Ten really well. I look at some of the garments and outfits of the characters in Ten, and I think "wow, I wonder what they would have looked like if Amano drew them?" Don't get me wrong here, I love Nomura's designs for the game, I'm just curious to see what Amano would have done with them.

The Man
09-19-2003, 07:23 PM
He's often killed in fanfics? Odd, I never noticed. Then again I hadn't really read many fanfics based on FFV in the first place :o

MJN SEIFER
09-19-2003, 08:20 PM
At The Top Of My Head Bartz was Killed In Flash Movies Such as FFBig Brother he wasn't even VOTD off he just dies!! Final Fantasy Fighing Dies in the second episode and suffers another stupid death and of course he Falls victim to a Tomberry In a Flash Movie that Goes By the name of "Robo Voice" whichI'm sure EVERYONE has seen!!

alnykleo
10-26-2003, 11:50 AM
Hey MJN SEIFER, you don't have a copy of that FF Big Brother flash movie laying around on your hard drive? I really want to see it, but the only site that seems to have it tells me that access is forbidden.

Or do you have a link to it, perhaps?

Shlup
10-26-2003, 11:04 PM
I thought we were talking about Butz? I didn't know anyone didn't like him. I don't think there's much to like or dislike.

MJN SEIFER
10-27-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by alnykleo
Hey MJN SEIFER, you don't have a copy of that FF Big Brother flash movie laying around on your hard drive? I really want to see it, but the only site that seems to have it tells me that access is forbidden.

Or do you have a link to it, perhaps?

Here ya go! (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=64822)

alnykleo
10-28-2003, 03:39 PM
Hehe, thank you. ^^

TasteyPies
03-28-2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by ShivaBlizzard8
Yoshitaka Amano has been the offical concept artist for, I believe, all of the Final Fantasys to date.

But....all those people look like butch lesbians

http://www.syldra.net/lair/amano/butzlenna.jpg

Takara
03-29-2004, 05:32 AM
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I guess. Granted, most of Amano's men look effeminate, but his art style strikes me as being rather goth-like (or maybe pale skin and dark lipstick was only trendy over here when I was in high school). Dark elegance. ;)

Personally, I don't hate Butz, but as it was said, he wasn't the most developped of characters, so it's hard to sympathize for him.

DJZen
04-01-2004, 06:14 AM
It's not really a goth thing. Goths are very attracted to his work because the people are very pale and waifish, but Amano's style is more influenced by Art Nuveo... Neuvaux? Bah, I can never remember how to properly spell French words.... But yeah, it's mostly a result of using watercolors. Also, just to clarify, Tetsuya Nomura DID do the character design for FF7 and 8. Amano was commissioned to draw the characters, but...... Well, his drawings weren't anything like the character designs. He made Cloud look like Robert Smith, and Red XIII just looks like a rust colored blob in some of the pictures. Amano's designs are usually along the lines of mysterious looking people wearing exotic clothes. Nomura prefers to draw spikey haired Ministry fans with gigantic weapons to compensate for.....

I should say something about Bartz here. I think he's developed better than Squall, personally, whose entire personality (and backstory!) can be summed up by the word "Whatever..."

DocFrance
04-01-2004, 06:23 AM
Another thing is it's really hard to translate Amano's complex designs into simple 2D sprites. If you ask me, Tetsuya would have been better for the NES-SNES games, with Amano handling the Playstation era.