PDA

View Full Version : Selphie is a.... SPOILER!

Xu
06-23-2003, 05:32 AM
....Sorceress?!?!

hehehe, how she can use magic without junction? (limit break), only sorceresses have the innate ability of casting magic...or Selphie could be a monster from the moon! (monstres can also cast magic as innate skill)

maybe she is a sorceress but she never realized it, remember Edea, she can use exclusive spells like Ice Strike or Maelstrom, Selphie have 4 (...or 6, if you count Percent and Catastrophe) exclusive spells... i'm guess that is the only explanation for innate magic...

btw, that shouldn't apply to Quistis, since she only mimic the moster skills, i guess.

Big D
06-23-2003, 05:57 AM
A lot of the characters can use some kind of pseudo-magical ability in their Limit Breaks, without junctions. Besides Selphie and Quistis, Squall and Zell can do some fairly powerful stuff - just look at the levitation or fireworks involved in Lion Heart and Burning Rave. Seifer's Fire Cross is perhaps the best example. I believe that many of FFVIII's characters have some kind of innate magical ability, but aren't quite as powerful as 'real' sorceresses. After all, Galbadian and Esthar soldiers can use magic without junctions, too - they simply have a different system.

What I'd like to know is, why does Rinoa still depend on junctions and drawn magic when she becomes a sorceress? I mean, her powers and abilities (excluding Angel Wing) are completely unaffected.

Xu
06-23-2003, 06:10 AM
SPOILER AHEAD!!!!!

maybe because she is a beginner S...

hey, can yu teach me hoy to put these (SPOILER) thing on threads?

.. oh, nevermind, i think i get it... just make the letters in dark blue rigth?

Spatvark
06-23-2003, 06:17 AM
1) Put the spoilerous text inbetween a [ spoiler] and a [/ spoiler] tag (NOTE: Remove the spaces that precede spoiler in teh tags). So, putting something like [ spoiler]I like pie![/ spoiler] will give you I like pie!

2) Don't double post; use teh edit/delete button found at teh bottom of teh post to add to the post in question plzkthx =P

TheAbominatrix
06-23-2003, 06:20 AM
I dont think Selphie is a sorceress... I think VIII just left a lot of strange loose ends and unexplained things, not to mention the Time Compression nonsense. Especially all the stuff Big D mentioned

Xu
06-23-2003, 06:26 AM
oh yeah... not a flawless plot, eh :love:

Seifer
06-23-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Big D
After all, Galbadian and Esthar soldiers can use magic without junctions, too - they simply have a different system.
Indeed. They use materia. xP

Xu
06-23-2003, 06:58 AM
ahh...that Trabia place is really for wicked people, that should explain why it is in the middle of nowhere.

...kidding...:love:

Erdrick Holmes
06-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Wouldn't Quistis be a sorc too because her limit break allows her to use Blue magic without any junctioning?

Big D
06-23-2003, 08:35 AM
Isn't that what we're saying?

I figure that a limited amount of magical ability is natural in the FFVIII world. Perhaps some lingering remnant of Hyne's powers?

Sorceresses simply have more powerful, more diverse forms of magic at their disposal.

A few 'normal' people - Seifer, Quistis, Selphie, etc - have certain magical powers, and anybody can be given similar abilities by using junctions, or whatever it is that Galbadia's and Esthar's soldiers use.

PhoenixAsh
06-23-2003, 06:20 PM
I gotta say, nice as that explains things, Selphie is WAY more powerful than any sorceress in the game. The only thing she lacks is control given she can only use it when she is emotionally charged, and even then she can't use her skills efficiently.
I know it's probably just a plot hole, but they did give Selphie an enormous amount of power considerringthe focus on sorceresses in the game.

Blackmage
06-23-2003, 08:51 PM
Regarding Big D's spoiler'ed question...As far as having strength and what-not it makes a tad bit of sense: use the magic's innate power to increase your physical powers. I mean, I'd hate to have to focus my mind on upholding a bunch of spells to "junction" to my HP, my strength, my vitality, my speed, etc. I dunno, somethings are strange like that. Probably just a loophole the makers didn't want to bother with (And it'd suck to have Rinoa not be able to junction anything, ya?).

Sefie1999AD
06-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix 17
I gotta say, nice as that explains things, Selphie is WAY more powerful than any sorceress in the game. The only thing she lacks is control given she can only use it when she is emotionally charged, and even then she can't use her skills efficiently.
I know it's probably just a plot hole, but they did give Selphie an enormous amount of power considerringthe focus on sorceresses in the game.

Yeah, she is more powerful than any other character, monster or sorceress. She can even kill Omega Weapon and Ultimecia with a single cast of The End. As for her restriction to only cast it while having a limit break, she could easily cast Aura.

By the way, this gives us some reasons to believe that Selphie is Ultimecia and Quistis is Griever (well, she and the Griever are the only ones who can cast Shockwave Pulsar). :D

PhoenixAsh
06-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Sephiroth1999AD quote:

By the way, this gives us some reasons to believe that (SPOILER)Selphie is Ultimecia and Quistis is Griever (well, she and the Griever are the only ones who can cast Shockwave Pulsar).

Hehe, I can't believe how far me asking a question about R=U closing methods has spiralled. There's been so much new thinking and talk in the forums recently I'm convinced R=U is good for this place (even though by a bizarre twist *raises eyebrow* both R=U threads in Feedback got closed with almost no provocation).
BTW yes I know that was a joke from Seph, but it sure beats the 'where can I get Dragon Fangs' style threads that usually fill this forum.

Mo-Nercy
06-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Selphie's limit break has an ability that allows you to kill everything in one hit. So does Odin. Does that mean Odin is a sorceress?

I think Limit breaks are a build up of emotion, then the character releases their anger in the form of a really good attack. I don't think Selphie gets her magical limit break from sorceress abilities. I don't think Square meant to have an explantion for it, either.

hydan
06-24-2003, 12:55 PM
noone else is a scorceress.Adel Edea Ultimecia Rinoa...
the only ones featured in the game.
scorceresses are powerless unless they inherit the power. only one scorceress with power can exist in one time.that was the golden rule in FF8!!...
tsk tsk...

Tidus StarWind
06-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Hydan I have to disagree with your last bit of input there..because you have Adel and Rinoa in the same time period..really The sorceress powers pass on from death to death kind of thing, ya know? Adel never died so she had the power still...and Rinoa got her powers from Edea..but she didn't die!...arg...but I know what you said isn't true

hydan
06-24-2003, 01:55 PM
when Adel come out of sleep Edea didn't have no powers.
Rinoa didn't have the power from Edea.
Only one with power at any one time

TheAbominatrix
06-24-2003, 02:03 PM
I think Hydan's right. Lemme see if I can figure this out here.

Edea gets her powers from Ultimecia, yes?
Edea loses her powers when Adel is reawakened.
Adel passes her powers onto Rinoa? Or does Rinoa get them before Adel dies?

I've got no clue. But I still agree with Big D's theory about innate magical abilities. In a way, kind of like the FFVI village of mages. Not the same, but in the sense that they all were born with a bit of magical ability. And no, I'm not saying that everyone in VIII descends from magical-types. Just tryin to give examples.

Big D
06-25-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by hydan
when Adel come out of sleep Edea didn't have no powers.
Rinoa didn't have the power from Edea.
Only one with power at any one time In the Tutorial, it says that there are more than a few Sorceresses, just that most of them don't flaunt their power because of prejudice.

DocFrance
06-25-2003, 05:50 AM
What about Angelo? Invincible Moon seems pretty magical to me, especially since there are no spells (only items) to make your party invincible. So, obviously, Angelo must be a sorceress. Or would that be sorcerer? Aw, frickin' hell, he's a dog!

So we've got R=U and now S=U. Scary. Why not:

Quistis=U?
Edea=U?
Xu=U?
Aeris=U?
and my personal favorite,
Laguna=U? (that's right, Ultimecia had a sex change once, and is actually Squall's daddy! "Suall, I am your father!

OK, I've had my fun for this evening.

kali
06-27-2003, 06:41 PM
lol@Aeris=U

wow.....i had no idea selphie was so powerful....lol

Other than the magical ability...there is nothing to imply in the game that selphie could be a sorceress...if she was one or could be one.

Zifnab
06-27-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
Adel passes her powers onto Rinoa? Or does Rinoa get them before Adel dies?
If you remember, Adel was the first boss on Disk 4, and Squall rescued Rinoa from the Sorceress Memorial towards the end of Disk 3.

I think my theory of Ellone being a sorceress is quite sound. Heck E might = U, what with both seeming to have the ability to send their minds back through time (granted Ellone sends other people's minds back, but doesn't she also experiance the dreams of those who get sent back through time?).

PhoenixAsh
06-27-2003, 10:53 PM
I think Ultimecia was going back in time because she needed Ellone, it would be kinda pointless if she could do it herself. She coulod send herself back because of Odine's machine.

I know a lot of theories about someone=U are just jokes, but it's getting a bit annoying. R=U is there to explain things it isn't just an idea someone had because it's possible.

Zifnab
06-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Phoenix 17
I know a lot of theories about someone=U are just jokes, but it's getting a bit annoying.
Mine isn't a joke.

I've never understood the Ellone Machine idea. I know Odine mentions it, but if the Machine is the problem then why doesn't Odine just destroy/not invent the machine? We never see this machine, unless it is Lunatic Pandora, but that isn't called the Ellone Machine.

DocFrance
06-28-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix 17 I know a lot of theories about someone=U are just jokes, but it's getting a bit annoying. R=U is there to explain things it isn't just an idea someone had because it's possible.
Sorry, I was just trying to have some fun. Actually, R=U does sound pretty plausable to me. It certainly does explain why you can name Ultimecia's GF.

Kayin
06-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Big D
A lot of the characters can use some kind of pseudo-magical ability in their Limit Breaks, without junctions. Besides Selphie and Quistis, Squall and Zell can do some fairly powerful stuff - just look at the levitation or fireworks involved in Lion Heart and Burning Rave. Seifer's Fire Cross is perhaps the best example. I believe that many of FFVIII's characters have some kind of innate magical ability, but aren't quite as powerful as 'real' sorceresses. After all, Galbadian and Esthar soldiers can use magic without junctions, too - they simply have a different system.

What I'd like to know is, why does Rinoa still depend on junctions and drawn magic when she becomes a sorceress? I mean, her powers and abilities (excluding Angel Wing) are completely unaffected.
Agreed.

Spatvark
06-29-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by DocFrance
Aw, frickin' hell, he's a dog!

Actually, they state explicitly in the game that Angelo is a she.

PhoenixAsh
06-29-2003, 07:45 PM
Sorry I wasn't trying to sound like I was telling people off, there's no need to say sorry. R=U takes a lot of heat around here I just wanted to point out it wasn't just an idea that sprang from nowhere.

As for the Ellone machine, it could be explained why Odine doesn't destroy it in two ways I think. Either using a parallel universe theory of time travel that would severely complicate the fourth disc, or by assuming a second time loop has taken place as well as the Sorceress power one. The second seems more likely in that the machine was probably invented before the game, at which point someone from the future went back in time to get the details of it, then went slightly less forward in time and made themselves go back to get the details of the machine.

Of course often logic involving the fourth disc is a bit of a dangerous idea, and I'm pretty much just writing off the top of my head at the minute so there could be another far simpler explanation.

cat_manda
07-08-2003, 07:45 AM
well i dont think selphie is a soceress
but after reading this thing on a different web page i defiantly think rinoa is ultamtcia!!:p
well thats my opinion

MJN SEIFER
07-21-2003, 03:02 PM
Rinoa was ALWAYS a sorceress! it is proved in deling!

Big D
07-21-2003, 11:37 PM
No. Rinoa didn't become a Sorceress until she acquired Edea's powers. Later, she took on Adel's powers too.

She wasn't a Sorceress from the outset.

Besimudo
07-22-2003, 01:50 AM
Guys this forum is about Selphie Not Rinoa please stay on topic!

Selphie junctioned her first GF many years ago… This means that like squall and seifer in the beginning scene she has special attacks. The GF is what I call erroneous GF…i.e. the game does not show their own personal GFs.

Perhaps the Japanese just like super moves (ever since Street fighter 1) and decided to give selphie magic rather than “pyrotechnics”(fire), “band aids” (heal) and “a big flashing cross”(rapture) or “a jack hammer” (quake) and Squall a burning sword rather than a napalm crusted torch.

TheAbominatrix
07-22-2003, 01:56 AM
Well just like in VI, Terra, Celes, and Strago were the only ones originally able to use magic, but everyone had a strange desperation move that the used, much like a limit break, even before they started learning magic from Espers. I really dont think it has anything to do with any sort of plot in either game. It's just a limit break, even if it is magical.

PhoenixAsh
07-22-2003, 06:51 PM
Erm, you're using Terra, Celes and Strago in an arguement about mgic not being plot relevant? Interesting tactic...

All of VIII's character limit breaks featured magic admittedly, but the scale of Selphie's is just ridiculous. Given the game is about sorceresses having so much power a regular human way more powerful than all of them is fairly suspiscious.

TheAbominatrix
07-23-2003, 02:11 AM
I'm using the fact that they're the only ones who can use magic naturally, yet everyone has a bit of it in their Desperation Attacks. The entire plot revolved around Terra's magic and the fact that very few people in the world had it. That was my point.

Rusty
04-14-2004, 10:52 AM
If selphie was a sorceress why didn't she recieve adels powers? And also if Rinoa is ultimecia, then she would automatically die at the end of the game. Discussion closed.

Big D
04-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Please don't post in seven-month old threads, just leave 'em be.