PDA

View Full Version : help computer fan me stupid help

Peegee
06-23-2003, 08:19 PM
http://www.geocities.com/ghettoprops10/

click. See pics.

basically I'm not sure if my case fan (that's the thing on the side of the computer right?) is 1) facing the right way and 2) pointing at the right direction

If you need more shots of specific things tell me. Um...if you do instructions and they require things that I don't understand (ie: everything), edit my screenshots or use your own, along with detailed circles and other gibberish.

Or teach it to me nice and slowly....

Endless
06-24-2003, 12:47 AM
It's easy.

Put your hand behind your computer (outside), if the fan blows on it, it's pointing in the right direction. (You want the air to go out of the case).

You should use screws though, not a rubber band like it seems you did. Just go to a computer parts shop, and ask them for the screws/bolts to mount a case fan.

Citizen Bleys
06-24-2003, 01:17 AM
It actually depends--For optimum airflow, you DO want intake fans as well. When you blow air out of the case with no intake fan, it creates a vacuum, so air is drawn in through the power supply to fill that void. Air drawn through the power supply is hot.

Most of the techs I spoke to during my A+ certification training recommended fans at the back of the case blowing air out, and a fan at the front of the case drawing air in. With an intake fan, the air that's being drawn in to replace the stuff you're blowing out is cool external air rather than hot power supply air.

Peegee
06-24-2003, 02:03 PM
In-take fan? *shrug*

I know it's really bad practice, but I've resorted to using a room fan (the oscillating types) to cool my computer down. My computer fan isn't powerful enough, or is doing something wrong when I attach it to the air grate (there doesn't appear to be air coming out)

All confused I am....somebody come over and fix it for me

Endless
06-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Then it's most likely mounted backwards, and it's drawing air <i>in</i> the case, instead of blowing it out.
Also use proper mounting (and not that wire) so that the air doesn't flow between the fan and the case (partially staying inside) instead of going out.

Citizen Bleys
06-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Outflow fan without intake fan = ok
intake fan without outflow fan = bad, sucking dust in the case and dust gets trapped.

Dust kills computers.

crono_logical
06-26-2003, 10:05 PM
My solution is a powerful deskfan in the side, and loads of big holes in the rear of the box (mostly unused expansion slots and ports) - the fan is strong enough to blow around everything and force it out the other side through the extra holes in the case, and according to the temperature monitors, it works :D But yeah, I do have to dust it every once in a while :p

Citizen Bleys
06-26-2003, 10:14 PM
Using a vacuum cleaner inside your PC case poses an ESD threat, though. It doesn't take much voltage to fry your motherboard--An amount you wouldn't even feel would do the trick.

crono_logical
06-26-2003, 10:25 PM
I've dropped a metal bracket on the live motherboard before, causing sparks and the PC to switch itself off :p Still using the same PC right now though :p

I don't use a vacuum cleaner anyway, I just brush it off with a bit of paper or my finger or something, it's just a matter of being careful really.

*doesn't want to cause sparks again in the PC while it's on*

Ok, it's not a solution I recommend to anyone else unless they feel like doing it and know what they're doing/are careful/take appropriate precautions etc. :p