PDA

View Full Version : So where's the "and"?

Gudni_fighter
06-23-2003, 11:08 PM
I noticed one thing in FF6 that I really(!!!) hate. That is, you have to chose between things, instead of getting to have them all. What am I talking about? Well, a) the ragnarok. Why the hell do you have to chose between the esper and the sword? The esper sucks but we who want to perfect games chose it anyway and end up missing out on one of the best weapons in the game! And b) odin and rayden. They look almost exactly the same, do the same attack and are all in all, the same guy. Why, oh, why, does the more powerful one (raiden) have the worse abilities? I mean, odin adds +1 to your speed at level up! while raiden gives +2 in vigor? no fair! how can a man chose between these two? why can't you have both? why can't you have the sword AND the esper? since when did "or" take "and"s place?

p.s. the 8 dragons are WAY to easy! i'm at level 40 and i'm beating the crap out of them with the cursed shield equipped and not ko-ing the character wearing it! how weird is that!

Sefie1999AD
06-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Well, I guess that's just realistic. You can't get everything in real life, either. There is a lot of choices to be made in FFs, and they can have significant results. FF1's and SD3's choice of which characters to take, that's just a really tough choice.

I'd take Ragnarok Sword, BTW. You can learn Ultima even with Paladin Shield :)

Edgar
06-24-2003, 12:13 PM
You hate that in FFVI? I don't understand, I feel that it is a good thing about the game.

MecaKane
06-24-2003, 05:31 PM
You know what I hate, having to level up1!!!! Why can't they just put you @ lvl 99 at the strt of the game?!?!!?!? :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Master.Pug
06-24-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by MecaKane
You know what I hate, having to level up1!!!! Why can't they just put you @ lvl 99 at the strt of the game?!?!!?!? :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

wouldn't that be kinda boring??

@ Gudni

there are other things like the one you've mentioned!

If you choose the Ragnarok-sword, you have to decide to keep it or exchange it for the almighty Illumina sword!

n what about the Cursed Shield / Paladin Shield / Cursed Ring thing??
you can't get them all!

my best thing was to have all Espers except Odin + Ragnarok AND all Items but Ragnarok, Cursed Shield & Cursed Ring!
252 Items & 25 Esper;) + 252 Rage's;) ;)

Lexy
06-24-2003, 09:42 PM
My first thought was that it does suck to not be able to have everything, but then I thought that it is sort of cool. You normally don't get choices like that in other video games I have played. And I choose the sword, cos I like swords. Maybe ppl who like using magic more would choose the esper. Blarg!

Vermachtnis
06-24-2003, 10:36 PM
It's like the saying goes.

You can't have your cake and eat it too

So just choose the one that fits your abilities. I mean you like magic get the esper or you like brutality get the sword. If your one of those gamers that must have everything get the esper and try Relm's glitch trick *Not recominded*

DocFrance
06-25-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Master.Pug

You know what I hate, having to level up1!!!! Why can't they just put you @ lvl 99 at the strt of the game?!?!!?!?
wouldn't that be kinda boring??

He might have been being sarcastic...

Gudni_fighter
06-26-2003, 09:36 PM
...or just weird, maybe?

but anyway, wich one did you get? the sword or the esper and odin or raiden? i got the esper (don't get me wrong, i like fighting more than using magic, i just wanted to see what the esper was like. plus, i've kind of got this tradition where i get all the summons in the ffs i play) and i leveled odin up to raiden 'cause he has a higher kill chance. but what about you?

Cryih Tuikrdo
06-27-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Gudni_fighter
I noticed one thing in FF6 that I really(!!!) hate. That is, you have to chose between things, instead of getting to have them all. What am I talking about? Well, a) the ragnarok. Why the hell do you have to chose between the esper and the sword? The esper sucks but we who want to perfect games chose it anyway and end up missing out on one of the best weapons in the game! And b) odin and rayden. They look almost exactly the same, do the same attack and are all in all, the same guy. Why, oh, why, does the more powerful one (raiden) have the worse abilities? I mean, odin adds +1 to your speed at level up! while raiden gives +2 in vigor? no fair! how can a man chose between these two? why can't you have both? why can't you have the sword AND the esper? since when did "or" take "and"s place?

p.s. the 8 dragons are WAY to easy! i'm at level 40 and i'm beating the crap out of them with the cursed shield equipped and not ko-ing the character wearing it! how weird is that!

All that stuff is in there for replay value, or what there is to come back to a second time. If the game branches off two ways, that leaves you with a different option to choose the second time around. It's what game developers like Squaresoft do to make an RPG more interesting.

Strider
07-01-2003, 12:29 PM
You can steal the Ragnarok sword, anyway. So technically, you can have both.

Gudni_fighter
07-01-2003, 05:16 PM
steal it? you serious? *starts drooling* who can you steal it from?

Lexy
07-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Yeah, who the heck can u steal it from..?

Zifnab
07-01-2003, 07:06 PM
A part of Kefka (I think the main part of the 3rd tier).

It doesn't bother me too much. It's like Chrono Cross/Trigger, you get a different gaming experiance everytime.
However I agree it's nice to have full Espers, but I just don't bother with the sword anyway.

Strider
07-01-2003, 08:35 PM
Actually, it's one of the statues before the final fight. You have to use either Locke or Gogo to swipe it, but I can't remember for the life of me which one it is. Instinct and vague memories lead me to think it's Doom, but no guarantees.

the blitzer
07-02-2003, 07:55 AM
I think Raden is better than Odin, because Odin can learn meteor x1 and raden can learn quick x1. Quick is could as it allows you to do 2 of the same spell. Combied with the thing you get from the fantictics tower you could do 6 magic spells in a row. Also you could learn meteor from Crusader at x10.

wolfmah
07-02-2003, 02:06 PM
The Ragnarok is not stealled from one of the statue. It's from the last stage in the final fight before the last boss. Here it is (http://www.wolfmahheaven.net/games/ff6/monsters.php?name=Girl&order=all).

Gene Ohm
07-02-2003, 10:01 PM
Yeah but if you cant get everything the first time round it gives you a good excuse to play it a second time which is a good idea since the whole story changes when you see it with all the info from later on

Wightraven
07-03-2003, 07:32 AM
... you know, you could just use a Game Genie/Game Shark and get all the goodies you want if you're THAT hungry for it. Hell, why stop at a Ragnarok sword and esper? Take three or four Ragnaroks and then use them to whup up on Keffy.

Still, steering back in the direction of the original topic, I think it's more fun AND it adds to the replay value of the game. I probably wouldn't have played the FF games as many times as I have if it weren't for all that stuff I missed.

Gudni_fighter
07-04-2003, 07:47 PM
well, i'm the kind of guy that wants to do everything in ff the first time around, without using any cheats, ok? and it is quite cool, actually, that i was just finishing the game the other day and just by sheer coincidence, i stole the ragnarok from that woman. :D i'm so cool!

-N-
07-06-2003, 09:04 PM
The plus side to having Odin is that he boosts your speed like crazy whenever you level up. So just max your speed with Odin, then convert it to Raiden. *shrugs*

Behold the Void
07-13-2003, 06:47 AM
Techinically you CAN get everything. Like someone said earlier, get the Paladin's Shield and Crusader. Also, you don't HAVE to convert Odin until you have all that you want from him. Or you can just sketch the right invisible enemy, possibly screw up your game but end up with hundreds of Paladin's Shields and Illuminas, and more dirks than you know what to do with. I did that and went through Kefka's tower with everyone holding a merit badge and an Illumina, and against Kefka I did the very fun Ultima Ultima Ultima Ultima etc. etc. which demolished him in no time flat.

Atma Weapon
07-15-2003, 05:33 AM
Did you get the drill as a hat? I don't know how to do it, but supposedly you can equip the drill as a hat. That might count as missed equipment for perfectionists since i think you have to sell all your hats for the glitch to work.

Behold the Void
07-15-2003, 07:13 AM
No, I didn't know you could get the drill as a hat. What I did with sketch was I sketched the invisible dragon in the Phoenix Cave. Something weird happened, and Setzer gained all these weird, cool sounding spells in which he could only target himself and his party with. The dragon also became visible again. With the rest of the party I kept attacking the Dragon, and with Setzer I used one that only targeted him. It turned out to be this weird spell that resembled General Leo's shock, and he became "wounded," but he remained floating and defaulted to attack. After beating the dragon, I found I had just about every item in the game, numerous copies of many of them, about 10,000 dirks, and Setzer was wounded. No harm done, no "extra" weapons to be seen either. Tried selling all those dirks but there were just too many of 'em.