PDA

View Full Version : Weird Blank Icons. Help!

TheAbominatrix
06-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Okay, my computer has a recurring problem that has once more reared it's ugly little head. Every so often, my icons will go weird. (See the attachment for an example). They're just blank white, and when I go to select them, they just sort of a jarbled picture of other stuff (like the Word icon for example). Sometimes it's like that, sometimes it's not. It effects all the icons on my comp in all my folders, and gives my start menu weird icons as well. There's other stuff, too.. if ya need more description, I'll post again or something.

So anyway, does anyone know what this is? And does anyone know how to fix it? It's flippin annoying. :mad:

P.S. And yes, all my folders have Farscape names. I'm on a Scape kick.

Endless
06-25-2003, 02:16 PM
Get tweakui from the Microsoft site and use the "rebuild icons" function.

TheAbominatrix
06-25-2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks muchly, I appreciate the help.

Killy
06-25-2003, 02:22 PM
Ive had a similar problem, and TweakUI wasnt able to fix my icons, it fact, it removed them all. But when I booted in safe mode, it fixed it all, so you should try that before using TweakUI.

TheAbominatrix
06-25-2003, 02:35 PM
I tried yours first, Black Ninja, and it fixed it right up. Thanks so much.

crono_logical
06-26-2003, 10:02 PM
TweakUI usually works for me :p Otherwise, deleting ShellIconCache in the Windows folder (it's hidden so you need to adjust your view settings) and rebooting usually does the trick too on WinME and older. You need to dig a bit harder in your user profile area, I believe, on Win2k and later, and I have a feeling it also has a slightly adjusted name, but still recognisable.