PDA

View Full Version : Game crashes right after Adel battle (slight SPOILERS)

admiralthrawn_1
06-26-2003, 07:55 AM
The game goes through the battle just fine, and it also goes through the "droplets" movie fine. The game works up until Squall mentions Edea's house, and the group goes out of the movie to the regular game. Right then, the game just hangs for a second, then kicks me out to the desktop, without offering an error message.

Anyone have any ideas? Know of any home-made patches for this problem? Or am I better off investing 15 bucks in another copy of the game that might work better.

Thanks

Silent Warrior
06-29-2003, 04:13 PM
I don't know of any homemade patches, but I know Square punched out a few of their own. I don't know where to find them, but they're about 20 Mb each.

It would also help if...
- you listed your OS.
- you listed your graphics card.
- you knew if there was something not quite right about your soundcard.

My best uninformed guess would be that you're using WinXP, and that it doesn't like FF8.

admiralthrawn_1
06-30-2003, 12:15 AM
Yeah...that would help, I guess.

You're right, I am using Win XP. Yes, I have heard the horror stories about trying to play older games on it, but I keep hoping that someone will find a way around poor programming.

My graphics board is a Radeon 7200, an older 32 MB SDR card. I also use an integrated sound card, so I don't think there'd be problems with that.

Really? More FFVIII patches? As far as I knew, there was only one, and it was about 9 MB, nowhere near 20 MB.

Well, thank you for the tip.

crono_logical
06-30-2003, 06:36 PM
I'd get a PSX version of the game and emulate it on the PC instead myself, especially if your machine can cope with WinXP.

Silent Warrior
07-03-2003, 04:19 PM
9 Mb? *Shrug* Maybe I was thinking about some other patch. Anyway, there WERE two patches, and two versions of them (one GeForce, one for the rest). Do you have the latest - or fully functional - drivers for everything? Tried compatibility-mode?

admiralthrawn_1
07-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Yeah, good idea. I'll try compatibility mode. Thanks