PDA

View Full Version : damn random mishaps....internet doesn't work

Peegee
06-29-2003, 07:43 AM
This isn't on my computer (it doesn't even have an OS installed), but it is the computer at home. I ran ad-aware and it probably erased a system file (though I don't think it did....though it probably was the cause of dad's and now this computer).

I rebooted to find that internet doesn't work. I tried running ping, and go the following:

'unable to initialize sockets interface. Error code 0'

what's going on? I've reinstalled windows twice with no change. I have no idea how to install TCP/IP or whatever could be the problem (I've tried installing all the windows installation programs in the control panel)...

I will be gone for the next two days, and will have little time when I return. If this is solvable please leave a detailed explanation. Thanks k bye *wave*

edit: it's windows ME....

crono_logical
06-29-2003, 10:41 AM
Are the drivers for the modem/network card etc. installed? You're not gonna ping anything if they're disabled. I'm pretty sure TCP/IP is installed by default per network device in WinME, although it might rquire some configuring according to your ISPs instructions, so you'll have to look there. Maybe try the hardware in question in another machine.

It's likely a driver/configuration/hardware problem if it still does that after you reinstall Windows a few times.