PDA

View Full Version : Dark Knight V Paladin (spoilers)

Zifnab
06-29-2003, 02:18 PM
Which did you prefer/find most useful?

For preferance I actually prefered the Paladin. Cecil seems to look more divine and heroic after his transformation. I mean, you could've given Golbez the same character sprite as Dark Knight Cecil it looked that sinister.

As for battle, I'm not sure. The Dark attacks were fairly handy, but if they didn't involve beyond the Paladin scene then they may have become weak towards the end of the game. Cecil's Cure was okay, but it wasn't anything special, and Rosa is far more equipped in that department. If Cecil had been given Holy, then he might have been a fantastic Paladin.

the blitzer
06-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Cecil looks far better as a Paladin. I also prefered the Paladin in battle. I never used his dark attack when he was a dark knight as I don't like moves that lower your HP. As a Paldin I didn't really use his Cover move but I found his white magic useful while Rosa was not in the party. He was also a good secondry healer to back up Rosa sometimes.

Pancaek
06-29-2003, 08:10 PM
I liked Paladin Cecil much better. He's a lot more versatile than the Dark Knight. If I remember correctly, all the Dark Knight did was attack, and all of his attacks were Dark elemental (even the swords, I think). The Paladin can attack, cover and heal, and you could even keep him in the back and use bows if you really wanted to.

Vermachtnis
06-29-2003, 08:16 PM
I like Pally Cecil. He has Wht. Magic and the best attack str. with the Ragnarok sword.

Rydia
06-29-2003, 08:23 PM
I think good old Paladin wins hands-down in this forum :)
Dark Knight's probably cooler,but I prefer the Paladin (as did the black mages in that little village :) )

Rase
08-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Omni Legacy
I like Pally Cecil. He has Wht. Magic and the best attack str. with the Ragnarok sword.
Ragnarok Sword? Thats new to me... Any way, I like Paladin Cecil because his White magic's not great in battle but outside it's good if you want to save potions or Rosa's MP.

Outsider
08-15-2003, 08:33 PM
Dark Knight is great... You can't get cooler than that. And when Cecil is a Dark Knight he uses the Deathbringer, one of the coolest swords of all time.

MagicKnight Locke
08-18-2003, 09:18 AM
the classes werent bad,bad was the man who was those classes a.k.a cecil sucks

Sephex
08-18-2003, 09:26 AM
Wow. I thought I was the only one who liked the Paladin better. As of this post, the Paladin is winning. I can't believe that.

Yeah, go Paladin Cecil!

Outsider
08-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by locke lionheart
the classes werent bad,bad was the man who was those classes a.k.a cecil sucks

No, you're wrong.

Cecil doesn't suck, he is the best main character, ever. In fact, Square never made a main character as great as him.

Rase
08-18-2003, 10:42 PM
Okay I'm hearing just now about the Ragnarok sword and Deathbringer. And seein as how I never really paid attention to all the weapon names in the PSX version cause I figured I knew them all from the SNES verion, I figure they must be from FFC. Am I right? BTW I personally like the SNES version way more then the PSX.

Outsider
08-19-2003, 09:59 PM
The Deathbringer is the third sword that Cecil gets, given to him by the king of Fabul castle.. I believe in the SNES version (I haven't played this one in ages) it's called "Black".

Rase
08-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Ahhh. Okay. Yes, in the SNES it's called Black. Thanks for the info.

Nemesis the Warlock
08-25-2003, 12:35 PM
I think Ragnarok is what they call the Crystal Sword in the remakes. Silly name for a sword.

I certainly prefer Cecil as a Paladin. As a Dark Knight, he did 1 HP damage to undead creatures. There are lots of undead enemies in the game, which would have wiped the floor with Dark Cecil.

Outsider
08-25-2003, 07:08 PM
It's not a matter if the Paladin is stronger than the Dark Knight...

The Dark Knight is cooler. C'mon, he uses a black armor, a horned helmet, he is a villain in the beggining! And when you get the Deathbringer, you can kick some ass very easily.

Flying Mullet
08-25-2003, 07:17 PM
Paladin

and the Paladin's the best because he looks like he strayed from some 80's rock band. :rock:

Rase
08-25-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Outsider
It's not a matter if the Paladin is stronger than the Dark Knight...
The Dark Knight is cooler.

The question isn't "Who is cooler" it's "Which do you prefer/find more useful?"

Prefence can be due to coolness, strength, looks, personality, background, etc. Find more useful can be srength, agility, how often they are "useful", etc.

So strength may not matter to you but it may matter to him.

TheAbominatrix
08-25-2003, 07:51 PM
I prefered the Dark Knight sprite, but other than that Paladin was far better. Cecil does some great attacks, and like a lot of people have said so far, his Paladin white magic ability is great for backing up Rosa.

Brickroad
10-02-2003, 09:10 AM
Auto-cover is woefully underappreciated. You'd be surprised how much you can improve your party's survivability by keeping Cecil well-armored and healed up in the back row, while everyone else is at near-KO.

This is not to mention his minor white magic, which can prove invaluable if a critical boss fight turns sour (as in, Rosa is KO'd but you need a shot of Cure2 and you need it NOW).

The Paladin is also much more versatile in his equipment selections. He works well in the front as the party's primary attacker, or in the back as an auxilary player (in which case Kain takes his place up front). Early on you can give him a Dancing Dagger, which is as powerful a hit from the BACK row as he's likely to deal with his sword from the FRONT. Very nice indeed.

By contrast, the Knight is only a tank. His job is to sit up front so weaker party members don't have to. (The Paladin is also better at this, because he has the Cover command.) The Dark command is useful in places (notably versus the Antlion) but, since it is self-damaging, is not a viable option in normal combat situations.

Even in theoretical situations, the Paladin wins out. What would the Knight do in the Magnetic Cave, if he had to go there? What could he possibly do of any use in the fight against Zeromus?

Plus, a L1 Paladin has better statistics than a L10 Knight by FAR. I think this alone is worthy of a vote for the Paladin over the Knight.

Er, the Knight has the better spriteset though, for a certainty. =)

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-06-2003, 11:13 PM
I prefer Dark Knight Cecil....

Paladin Cecil's White Magic is Almost Useless (to me) and even though Paladin Cecil has better stats and Growth.

Dark Knight was never ment to be used for Long so thats the only reason he's statisticly weaker.

I wish we could have chosen whether or not we wanted to become a Paladin.

Azeroth
10-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Paladin. He's just plain more useful.

The Man
10-24-2003, 06:45 PM
Paladin, by a landslide.

Rufus Shinra
02-15-2006, 05:12 AM
Although Cecil is far more powerful as a Paladin, I actually prefer the whole Dark Knight persona. That's what I'd be in the Dark Ages. A Dark Knight. Either that, or a Dark Wizard. :cool:

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-15-2006, 05:19 AM
Again, please don't revive several-year-old threads.