PDA

View Full Version : Xenosaga not made by Square?

allkaiser
07-01-2003, 08:10 AM
I was just noticing today, when playing Xenosaga, that Namco was on the title screen. So Square didn't make it? Is there some story behind this, because I thought it was made as a "squel" or something to Xenogears (which I never played). Anyone explain?

Bahamut2000X
07-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Xenogears- Made by Square

After Xenogears was made some big high up guys at Square pissed off the Xenogears guys and they said "We're make out own game then, and it'll be awesome" and the head square guys were all like "Fine, let's see you try to make a game without us." and they were all like "sure." and they made Xenosaga and got all rich and famous and still have 5 more episodes to release of it.

So long story short, Square exectatives screwed their company yet again.

treaos
07-12-2003, 12:21 AM
well while that is an interesting way of putting it, the reason is that when xenosaga was made so was ffvii and since they werent sure how either would go they said which ever one sells more at first is the one they will make continuations of or somethign along those lines, also when xenogears first came out, there wasalot of controversy about it because of its strikes against religion(which if you ask me minus the whole invisible city full of advanced tech and an emporer who controlls the planet, then its a correct presumption of religion in general what with the churches and the people coming to your door at 5 am saying ,"have you found jesus?") but enough of my ramblings which to you will be high un deciferable due to my bad grammar, fast moving (like a shell fired from a rail gun) of topics as well as this manic sense of i'm a complete psycho. enjopy your reading ^_^

allkaiser
07-12-2003, 02:18 AM
No... I did not enjoy reading that.

By the way, when does the next Xenosaga game come out?

Jalbrean
07-12-2003, 02:31 AM
There's no set date.

July 21st Namco and Monolith Soft is having a fan event for Xenosaga. Check the major gaming sites they'll probably have all the goodies including when the Japanese release of Episode II is coming.

Ryethe
07-21-2003, 02:26 AM
The real reason from what I remember had to do with Disc 2 of Xenogears. If I remember correctly, Square didn't want to wait 6 months to a year for the team to finish Xenogears properly, so Square ordered them to fast track it (which of course ended in the mess that was Xenogears Disc 2). This didn't exactly please the Xenogears team, so they bought out the licence and formed their own team, Monolith (I think), so they could do all 6 Episodes of Xenogears the way they intended.

-Ryethe

P.S. Xenogears was episode 5 in case you were wondering. They have also said that they intend to redo episode 5.

Jalbrean
07-21-2003, 06:52 AM
Xenogears was episode 5 in case you were wondering. They have also said that they intend to redo episode 5.

In the xenogear series it was Episode V. They've said in numerous interviews that the games aren't connected. It's a reworked idea and story. Somewhat similar but not the same.

-shrugs- Although we've all been debating this subject forever. We'll have to wait and see. They haven't even acknowledged they're going to do Episodes V & VI. They've only confirmed they plan on making Episodes I, II, III, IV.

Ryethe
08-21-2003, 02:14 AM
Actually from what I've heard, Xenosaga Ep1 pretty much follows the storyline laid out for Xenogears Ep1 (as printed in Xenogears PerfectWorks). Xenosaga Ep2, however completely throws PerfectWorks timeline out the window. It is my opinion, however, that not all of the Xenogears episodes were meant to be games. I mean how much of a game can you make out of the Xenogears world 10 years after Deus lands on the planet ? Really the only episodes I can see becoming games are 3 and possibly 6, any of the others would either a) Have a dull setting and predictable story and b) Simply repeat all which is learned in Episode 5 (Xenogears) and reveal no new information, thus making them serve only to eliminate a number of twists and turns in Episode 5's plot.

It is my opinion that Xenosaga moves off the Xenogears track not because of copyright issues (even though the Xenosaga team has acknowleged they cannot follow completely follow Xenogears for the above reason) but because the episodes and previously laid out simply do not make good games. Perhaps Xenosaga will link up with Xenogears later on or maybe perhaps it'll simply show the events elsewhere during the events of Xenogears.

Just some thoughts.
-Ryethe

P.S. There are many sites that link up Xenogears with characters and occurances in Xenosaga. Sorry for the lack of a link.

Kenshin IV
08-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Xenosaga is made by most of the same team that made Xenogears. What happened was Namco wanted to start their own division devoted to solely making RPGs. Thus, MonolithSoft was born. They offered the president job to some big shot at Square, he accepted, a lot of people from Square left, and now the Xeno games are made by Namco's MonolithSoft. The end. Good story, ne?

Ryethe
08-27-2003, 10:33 PM
Actually, from what I've heard, Monolith existed inside Square to begin with. Really it was an in-house dev team that got tired of being bound to Square.