PDA

View Full Version : Official ff1 names

Twinkletoes
07-01-2003, 09:25 AM
Since there are no "official" names for the adventurers in Final Fantasy 1, why don't we create them? There seems to be no more dedicated group of people on the net to FF1 than this, so I think that this should be the default authority on what the "real" names are.

I realize that there will never be official names produced by squaresoft, and that whatever we decide here will not really be official, but I'd like a set of names as close to authoritative as possible.

It seems logical to me that we start with Fighter first. What should his name be? I don't know how to do a poll, and I won't limit the group to what I think the possible names should be.

Let's say that people can suggest names for Fighter for the next week, and after that we'll put up a poll asking which of the names people want. After a week the poll will be closed, and we will have an official name for a Final Fantasy 1 character!

twobitmage
07-01-2003, 09:55 AM
If white mage is in fact truly a women, I vote for the name "faye"

I always liked that name...dunno why

Rydia
07-01-2003, 11:22 AM
I always called my white mages 'Babe',but 'Faye' does suit 'her'.
I dunno though,I think White Mage is a guy,even though it does look like a girl

Zifnab
07-01-2003, 12:00 PM
In the FF1 instruction manual (NES) WM was given the name Tony, and the BM Phil. I can't quite make out BB and Fighter's names, but BB's seems like 'Homa'. Fighter actually looks like 'Nest' or something.

Nuke seems to be a popular name for BB.

MJN SEIFER
07-01-2003, 12:32 PM
As a Tribute to The Final Fantasy Fighting (http://fff.wangclip.net/movies/movies.html) series The black magic *could* be Called "Kuro" (I wonder how THEY came up with that name sounds cool though)

DocFrance
07-01-2003, 02:37 PM
I think that 'kuro' is Japanese for 'black.'

Master.Pug
07-02-2003, 02:22 PM
I don't think WhiteMages are female!
look at WhiteWizards!
they look quite male:whoa:

BG-57
07-02-2003, 02:26 PM
'Shiro' is 'white'
'Aoi' is 'blue'
'Aka' is 'red'

The game's manual calls a party Hilt (Fighter), Pommel (Monk), Pox (Black), Remedy (White Mage).

The guidebook has a party called Cloud (Fighter), Sabin (Monk), Vivi (Black Mage), and Rosa (White Mage)

6 character maximum? Hmmm....I'd go with biblical names.

White Mage: Sophia
Black Mage: Zophar
Red Mage: Micah
Fighter: Nathan
Monk: Samson
Theif: Zadok

Bahamut2000X
07-02-2003, 02:30 PM
Back in NEW days we always had the same names for our guys. POW! for the monk, Zap! for the black mage, and heal for the white mage. We just came up with whatever for the other guys.

Also Shiroi is white, and black is kuroi, kurai, and kuro.

MJN SEIFER
07-02-2003, 02:42 PM
look at WhiteWizards! WTF?! THIS looks male!? I must get my I checked!!

Zifnab
07-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Other than the pink hammer, he looks male to me.

Twinkletoes
07-04-2003, 07:51 AM
I like that this thread has gotten as much attention as it has, but it's getting close to Saturday evening and I haven't seen much activity in terms of name proposals for Fighter.

I also like that this has been an open discussion, and that names for other characters have been discussed.

The thing is, though, I'd like to have fairly conclusive results for this instead of having suggestions. Suggestions are fine, but my goal (not necessarily yours) is to decide on "official" names.

Maybe what's needed is a format for proposal. Instead of saying "Well, in the manual Fighter's name was NEST." let's say "I propose that Fighter's name be NEST." That way when I post a poll on Sunday I can know specifically what people want as options.

I haven't played any of the other Final Fantasy games, so I don't know what his character class usually is, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the name "Cid."

BG-57: What game manual and guide are you working with? I thought there was only the one. I would very much like to know if there are materials other than the basic instruction book.

So please, start writing back with proposals like "I propose that Fighter's name be Nathan."... except maybe only 4 letter names ;-)

I hope I'm not sounding too pushy. Please let me know if I'm being too aggressive.

I started this thread on a Tuesday. Should I give it another full week instead of ending the proposal deadline on the 6th?

Edit by Kishi: Don't double-post.

Wightraven
07-04-2003, 10:41 AM
Is this honestly really necessary? I mean, isn't it much easier to just call them "Fighter", "BM", "Thief", etc.? Besides, newbies to the forums would get confused...

Newbieboy001: Who's "Karn"?
Veteranman345: lol He is the Fighter. We call him Karn. Silly newbie! lolol!

Chaos would ensue... Chaos I tells ya!

EDIT: *remembers he likes the chaos* I shall suggest "Karn", then.

Axethorn Stonehammer
07-04-2003, 04:12 PM
For me it's always been,

Fighter = Thor
BB = BLee (Bruce Lee)
Thief = Seth
RM = Palo
BM = Merl
WM = Norm

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-04-2003, 09:46 PM
If you really need things like names to be set in stone, then FFI may not be the game for you.

BG-57
07-06-2003, 02:42 PM
I'm using the official Final Fantasy Origins Strategy guide and the little booklet that came with the game. I'm not sure which used which names.

Xu
07-10-2003, 08:07 PM
at official site the pics have strange names. There's a Vivi there.

figured out 4 names (3 males and 1 female)

Kenneth (male)
Ashley (male)
Faith (female)
Sindri (male)

BG-57
07-11-2003, 03:16 PM
Isn't Kenneth 7 characters long? My version of the game will allow up to 6 characters. :(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-11-2003, 04:04 PM
So call him Kenny.

BG-57
07-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Yeah, but if he gets killed by say Astos, think of all the potential South Park jokes. ;)

Meuterei
07-14-2003, 01:05 AM
Astos: RUB

*Erased - Slain*

Fighter: OH MY GOD, YOU KILLED KENNY!

Thief: YOU BASTARD!!

lemonation
07-20-2003, 08:52 PM
I actually used the first four on this list. Can't think up good Fighter/BB names.

Thief: Shoes
RM: Talon
WM: Ryfia
BM: Socks

Reine
07-21-2003, 02:22 AM
I called my party:

Warrior: Andrel (Andreil)
Monk: Akrad
W. Mage: Arcada
B. Mage: Zanith

DCI Superfan
07-21-2003, 07:20 AM
There was the Nintendo Power review which had the Fi,BB,WM,BM named NEST, HOWA, GAIL, PAM.... or the Strategy Guide where the party was named BORS, LEE, JED, TOTH. Go figure.

DCI Forever!!

Wightraven
07-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Mine's...

RM: Alex
Theif: Jack
BB: Lee
BM: Pig

As you can see I've taken full advantage of the PSX remake's 6-letter names... *sarcasm*

Vermachtnis
07-27-2003, 06:14 AM
Here's mine

Fighter: Sord
Theif: Stel
Black Mage: Zeux
White Mage: Live
Red Mage: BWWZ (Black, White, WiZard)
Monk: Knee

Star of Penumbra
07-27-2003, 10:07 AM
I always use the same names for my characters.

Fighter: Meat
Thief: Spdy
Black Belt: Kick
Red Mage: Red
White Mage: Cure
Black Mage: Nuke

BG-57
07-28-2003, 12:52 AM
My current party is named for Job and his three friends who come to comfort him:

Fighter: Job
Monk: Zophar
Red Mage: Elifaz (really should be Eliphaz)
White Mage: Bildad

Zophar may sound familiar to those who've played Lunar II.