PDA

View Full Version : by far the dumbest way to cool your comp

Peegee
07-02-2003, 11:34 PM
I was sitting here, getting upset that the a/c was blasting into my face (it gets cold eventually), when a revelation hit me:

I could use the a/c to cool my computer! It has an air vent at the bottom. So I grabbed my computer machine, and put it over the vent. Now cool, hopefully non-dirty air is going into my computer, lowering the core temperature from ~40 C to 29 C (104F to 84F)

Am I doing something destined to ruin my computer for good? My air ducts were cleaned (sparkling clean) just last week, so....

yeah, *shrug*

crono_logical
07-02-2003, 11:51 PM
Clean the PC out occasionally if it does start getting dusty like mine does wit the case opn like that :p Your choice whether you do it with the power on or not :p

29 C is impressive if that's when the PC is also working at 100% load such as when encoding a movie or something :p

Killy
07-02-2003, 11:53 PM
I dont think it can do much harm. Even if the air is full of dust, you could always vacuum your computer every now and then. Last week I opened my friend's PC that hadnt been open for the last 4 years. It was incredibly dusty, but it still worked fine (apart from the fact that his video card overheated). But if you keep it clean that wont happen.

Erdrick Holmes
07-02-2003, 11:59 PM
U suggest that if your gonna do that then clean out your AC filter every once in awhile.

Peegee
07-03-2003, 12:04 AM
29 is the resting (coolest) temperature. It's up to 34C right now (still good).

Axethorn Stonehammer
07-03-2003, 04:23 PM
If you're serious about keeping the AC there I suggest OCing your comp to the extreme, with that much core temperature change it'll be able to easily withstand 3x it's current speed eg: 766mhz = 2.33ghz~.

Peegee
07-03-2003, 04:40 PM
um....A/C turns off at night sometimes. This morning I found my hard drive at 59*C (!!!)

If there exists a machine you can put on the ground that shoots cold air upwards, then I'll invest in it. Yes, I was told to overclock by a friend. I have a 2.2 ghz processor, so 3x speed would be...*brain explodes*

Shiroi Kumo
07-03-2003, 05:54 PM
...6.6GHz.

crono_logical
07-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Shame it's not physically possible to overclock by that much due to the physical properties of the materials used to make the chip, even with sufficient cooling.

Peegee
07-03-2003, 09:47 PM
yes, but if I had control over the a/c, I could run it 24/7 and overclock to 3ghz with no problem, right?

It's still not feasible until I find a room a/c machine, because other people would not understand my need for cold and complain....teehee

so anyway, there's no problem with this method of cooling? Cool (no pun intended)