PDA

View Full Version : DVD ripping

Killy
07-05-2003, 07:02 AM
I started to look for DVD ripping programs, after choosing what seemed like a decent one, I ended up with something thta cannot keep sound and Video in sync. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me abotu a decent DVD ripping program.

crono_logical
07-05-2003, 12:00 PM
http://easydivx.does.it is pretty good for beginners, from what I've seen from it, and pretty simple to use too. If you're more advanced and know what you're doing though, you'll probably end up doing the seperate steps of the ripping yourself by hand to get more control over it - vstrip to decode the DVD to HD, Azid and maybe Lame/ogg tools to rip and encode the audio, VobSub to rip subtitle streams, and possibly m2apx3g and whatever installed video codecs you have for the video. Then VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod to piece them together into an AVI or OGM so they can be played back together. http://www.doom9.org has quite a few tutorials on DVD ripping too.

Killy
07-05-2003, 08:03 PM
Thanks a lot, ill look into it.

hyper phreak
07-09-2003, 04:44 AM
hey whats your e mail?? i got one that i will send you. i have no idea where i got it but its a good one. You can rip dvds into VCD, SVCD, Divx avi files. Also you can rip VOB files into the same formats. Its a really good and easy program to use. Its called Super DVD ripper v1.89. If your interested let me know.

Citizen Bleys
07-09-2003, 03:50 PM
I use SmartRipper to rip the audio and video tracks from the DVD, and then VirtualDub to resynch them in an .avi.

Peegee
07-10-2003, 10:37 AM
how does vdub work with vobfiles?

are you sure it's a delayed audio problem? You can use virtualdub and set the audio to start earlier/later than it usually does. Works great. However if it's a seeking problem you need to re-encode it (I think....forget)

crono_logical
07-10-2003, 11:30 AM
VirtualDub itself can't use VOB files, it's only an AVI editor (although will read but not write MPG as well) - I mentioned it because I use it after converting the video stream in the VOB to AVI using other tools to add the other streams to the AVI, such as audio.

Peegee
07-10-2003, 11:50 AM
...okay, I knew that :p

Use DVDx. It's a great program to rip dvds into avis, svcds, or vcds.

Citizen Bleys
07-10-2003, 02:30 PM
DVDx won't work on all computers, though. I think I had it working in Windows 2000, but I never could get it to work in 9x or XPee.

And PG, if you'll read my post a little more closely, I said I used SmartRipper to decode the VOBs before firing up VirtualDub.

SmartRipper converts VOB to an .avi without sound and a very large .wav file, and then I use VirtualDub to merge the .avi and the .wav (and compress using DivX/mp3 audio), and VobSub (a plugin for virtualdub) to rip the subtitles from the DVD and weave them into the new video. (Of course, if you want to edit the subtitles, you need Sub Station Alpha, but not many people try to spoof anime. I never got far myself)

Killy
07-11-2003, 01:06 AM
Thanks to your support, I was finally able to do a decent looking rip. Thanks

hyper phreak, thanks, but Super DVD ripper was the program I am reffering to im my first post, and it degraded picture quality needlessly. DVDdecrypter was the way to go for me.

On an another note, it seems Lame MP3 wont work on my computer, same thing with the ogg Vorbis codec, they cannot encode properly, even after I reinstalled. My Lame MP3 encode contain no sound, while my Ogg encode will not work at all. I use FlaskMpeg if that is of any help. I had to use VirtualDub to insert the MP3s that were ripped from the DVD.

Peegee
07-11-2003, 04:35 AM
WHAT MANNER OF SCARY ANGRY ANGST FILLED HORROR IS THIS??? SINCE WHEN DID SMART RIPPER DO AVI CONVERTING??? OMG I WOULD'VE SAVED DAYS OF HORROR IF I KNEW THIS!!!!

*sniff* x 100^pg

hyper phreak
07-13-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Black Ninja
Thanks to your support, I was finally able to do a decent looking rip. Thanks

hyper phreak, thanks, but Super DVD ripper was the program I am reffering to im my first post, and it degraded picture quality needlessly. DVDdecrypter was the way to go for me.

On an another note, it seems Lame MP3 wont work on my computer, same thing with the ogg Vorbis codec, they cannot encode properly, even after I reinstalled. My Lame MP3 encode contain no sound, while my Ogg encode will not work at all. I use FlaskMpeg if that is of any help. I had to use VirtualDub to insert the MP3s that were ripped from the DVD.

no prob, but thats weird, it seems to do great for me. What version were u running? just wondering. I think i might have to try out DVDdecrypter,

Anyone have the new divx version 5.0.5 retail final edition?? Its pretty good. I always use it when encoding and decoding movies

Citizen Bleys
07-13-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Pureghetto
WHAT MANNER OF SCARY ANGRY ANGST FILLED HORROR IS THIS??? SINCE WHEN DID SMART RIPPER DO AVI CONVERTING??? OMG I WOULD'VE SAVED DAYS OF HORROR IF I KNEW THIS!!!!

*sniff* x 100^pg

marry me

Peegee
07-13-2003, 10:43 PM
not until you tell me how. I fired up smart ripper and couldn't find any means to output avi/wav files. :(

Citizen Bleys
07-14-2003, 07:02 AM
*dies*

My mistake; I used SmartRipper to decode the AVI; It was a program called DVD2AVI that I used to convert it to an avi/wav.

(It's been almost a year since I did a DVD rip; It was Escaflowne.)

Peegee
07-18-2003, 10:42 PM
I've been ripping family guy dvd eps for the last....oh, probably twenty-one hours (I've only finished eleven episodes haha). I've got it all figured out. I should make a webpage but there's already one that's available here (http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/MakingVideo.shtml).