PDA

View Full Version : downs on FFIX

Xu
07-06-2003, 12:18 AM
just the things that i dislike..

1.The SD graphics shouldn't be so "SD", like, the arms should be somewhat shorter...

2. Amarant's general artwork.. his hair and clothing... he doesn't even look like a monk..

3. By the end of the game, you just can use half of your gang (in FF6 you can use almost all of your chars. in kefka's tower, FF7 you can have all of your gang figthing bizarro seph. , FF8 you split in 2 for Ultimecia's castle, plus everyone can figth at final battle)

4. Garnet's accquire Shiva, Ifrit, Atomos, Leviathan (maybe odin) at the SAME time. Before that you have to use only Ramuh for an long time period.

5. Tetra master is kind of boring (doesn't get even close to Triple Triad)

6. Zidane's Skills are almost useless (exept for detect and thievery)

chocoboy
07-06-2003, 12:32 AM
...Not to mention the castle where none of the weapons work on enemies.

The lack of a decent mini-game.

The "two endings" mystery. That I couldn't find.

The jesters who are supposed to be funny but aren't.

The "hard-nut" boss guy is more like a girl.

The way that the main character doesn't use a sword twice his size. Infact he doesn't use a sword at all.

Ragtime mouse.

Kurohime
07-06-2003, 02:34 AM
Picky picky picky! XD

The only thing I didn't like about the game was (if we want to stick with real gameplay peeves) the fact that Trance only lasted one battle. I usually ended up wasting it more than using it. But the fact that you can use it more than once if you got the chance was good, sooo...

Oh yeah, and I also didn't like the lame prizes for Mognet, etc... :P

Phil
07-07-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Xu
just the things that i dislike..

1.The SD graphics shouldn't be so "SD", like, the arms should be somewhat shorter...

2. Amarant's general artwork.. his hair and clothing... he doesn't even look like a monk..

3. By the end of the game, you just can use half of your gang (in FF6 you can use almost all of your chars. in kefka's tower, FF7 you can have all of your gang figthing bizarro seph. , FF8 you split in 2 for Ultimecia's castle, plus everyone can figth at final battle)

4. Garnet's accquire Shiva, Ifrit, Atomos, Leviathan (maybe odin) at the SAME time. Before that you have to use only Ramuh for an long time period.

5. Tetra master is kind of boring (doesn't get even close to Triple Triad)

6. Zidane's Skills are almost useless (exept for detect and thievery)

1- Good point about the arms

2- Amarant isnt supposed to be a monk. He's a theif

3-You can use your entire party whenever you want to for the majority of the game

4- So what? You have oodles of time to trian before you meet Kuja.

5- Tetra master is a pretty fun game if you stop picking out the bad parts about it.

6- Zidanes skills are actually pretty good if you know how to use them properly.

Xu
07-07-2003, 06:15 AM
2. But still... his artwork bothers me.. ^^

3. I mean, if you choose an specific team (Zidane, Eiko, Quina, Dagger), you don't even need to level up with the others to face Memoria or Kuja. Kind of isn't worthful leveling up or accquiring abilities with the others that you will not use.

4. But that spoils the fun of accquiring Summons gradually... istead you receive 5 at once. I'm barely use Shiva or Ifrit, since Leviathan and Odin are better (even with a lot of topaz or opal)

6. *Flee: Just to escape... nothing special
*Detect: Wiew enemy's items... useful
*Soul Blade: causes weap. stats... but some bosses are immune to most of them u_u
*What's That?: barely works on normal enemies...
*Annoy: There is just 1 boss figth in the game with 2 enemies (am i rigth?)
*Sacrifice: isn't better to heal with curative magic?
*Lucky Seven: mmm... just figure the odds of having the last HP digit as 7...
*Thievery: This is a very good skill, but like Frog Drop, it takes time to become strong

Zidane really shine on Dyne skills...

eestlinc
07-07-2003, 10:21 AM
you only need to level up a couple characters in every game. Even in ff6 you can get by with three or four very powerful characters, even in the phoenix cave and last dungeon.

Besides, ff9 has the great feature that the older ff's do not: you can pause the game anytime, even outside of battle.

m4tt
07-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Vincent06
2- Amarant isnt supposed to be a monk. He's a theif

Zidane is a thief, Amarant is a monk. He has monk skills, making him a monk. ;)

HOOTERS
07-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Only thing I didn't like was trance - if you got it in an insignificant battle then it was a waste.

And the battles were slower compared to the previous two FFs but that was a small price to pay for four people in a party.

chocoboy
07-08-2003, 07:14 PM
I'm still trying to figure out who is the lamest. Zidane or Tidus? Girly main characters! At least they went and decided to make a REAL girl lead in ffx2!

Rude
07-08-2003, 07:17 PM
Nah, Amarant is a felon who has the abilities of a monk.

The jesters who are supposed to be funny but aren't.

Thorn and Zorn are hilarious. The "Bastards we may be. But clever are we." is one of the funniest lines in the FF series.

Starcrest
10-25-2003, 11:02 PM
Don't Forget that only selective ppl can use magic, summon, etc.

Deandre
10-26-2003, 09:50 AM
Next to a few minor downs, there's one huge downside.

ZIDANE!

Xander
10-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Shiva's Effect
Don't Forget that only selective ppl can use magic, summon, etc.

That was a good thing in my opinion, all characters had unique roles rather than everyone being able to do everything allowing for more strategy I thought :p

SephirothsAngel
10-26-2003, 07:10 PM
I liked the fact that not everyone had the same skills, too. It made me think more before I went into boss battles.
I think the only thing I really hated was the Trance. I never seemed to get it in boss battles but when running around the world map I always hit trance. I also hate the castle where weapons wouldn't work and where Ark was (can't remember the name). That part of the game annoyed me.

Deandre
10-27-2003, 05:29 AM
For the people that that complain about Ipsen's Castle (with weapons not working).

YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO EQUIP YOUR WEAKEST WEAPONS THERE!

Weakest weapons do most damage there, that's why you find such weak weapons there.
There are two hints in the game that tell that, though I don't know where...

Just a little strategy, not a major downside in my opinion...

MagicKnight Locke
10-27-2003, 03:04 PM
down on ffIX.
Kuja,Garland,Necron and silver dragon were too easy to beat(for such important bosses)

Breine
10-28-2003, 10:06 AM
There are not any downs... 'nuff said.

Flare_Star
10-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Breine
There are not any downs... 'nuff said.

totally.....:D

Phil
10-29-2003, 03:35 AM
Amen, Flare_Star

Jack
10-29-2003, 08:55 PM
Yeah, but thats your opinion. I think it has lots of downers

And the Jesters are Twats. 'nuff said

the_brainaic
10-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Biggest downer - The fact that it's not out on PC.

Please, please tell me I'm wrong, tell me I can find this some where. But I have tried, I've looked, I can't find it.

The Man
10-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by HOOTERS
Only thing I didn't like was trance - if you got it in an insignificant battle then it was a waste.

And the battles were slower compared to the previous two FFs but that was a small price to pay for four people in a party. Yes.

Well, that and the fact that there were too many random battles, IMO. Apart from those minor flaws, I found FFIX to be a quality game.

Achilles
11-05-2003, 04:37 PM
the arms ^^ but they are funny in a way i guess...