PDA

View Full Version : Taking Images from other sites

Zifnab
07-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Supposing I wanted to take some images from a site, edit them then use them on a site of my own, and the webmaster of the site says "Do not take the images from this site without permission", but the webmaster last updated his site in 1999, and the email address supplied on the site doesn't even exist anymore because it's been so long. Would it therefore be alright to use those images?

Dr Unne
07-06-2003, 05:27 PM
"Alright" as in "legal"? No.

Zifnab
07-06-2003, 05:34 PM
Nuts. :/
It's a shame when I can't even contact the guy. Thanks though, I didn't quite know just how legal things are with images. *searches elsewhere*

Dr Unne
07-06-2003, 05:45 PM
I think anything anyone creates in automatically copyrighted, whether they declare it so or not. I think copyrights last a certain number of years and then they expire, but it's quite a few years unfortunately. There's a lot of material, old books and whatnot for example, that ends up vanishing off the face of the earth because the person who wrote it goes away and no one has permission to reprint it. It's s shame.

Yamaneko
07-06-2003, 10:35 PM
I'd take it anyways. Practically everything is stolen on the internet.

Shlup
07-06-2003, 11:09 PM
It depends on if he actually made the image or he stole the image from someone else and edited it, in which case you'd be in the same boat as him

For example, if someone were to take the EoFF banner and edit it for their own uses I wouldn't say anything 'cause it's a bunch of images owned by Square anyway.

TheAbominatrix
07-06-2003, 11:24 PM
What Shlup said. If it's, say for example, a screen shot of Yuna. Obviously he didnt make that screen shot, though he may have taken it, but still... he doesnt own it. Square does. Now if it's fan art of Yuna, that's a different story.

Zifnab
07-07-2003, 10:27 PM
Hmm, you bring up good points. They're just screenshots of an anime mostly, which I wanted to edit into character profile images. Thank you for the more encouraging posts. I just didn't want to annoy anyone, but if they don't even belong to them then mine they shall be. >=D

Peegee
07-11-2003, 04:46 AM
Steal it. Who cares