PDA

View Full Version : Who had the best Magic? (Chrono Trigger)

Imperia
07-06-2003, 09:57 PM
In Chrono Trigger, who do think had the best magic? Who's was the most awesome and most impressive? Or the most helpful or powerful?

Dalkaen
07-07-2003, 01:05 AM
I'd have to say that Crono has the best, and generally the coolest looking magic, with Magus being a close second. Luminaire always returned good results for me, and Lightning 2 just looks cool. ;)

TheAbominatrix
07-07-2003, 01:13 AM
Marle's is the most useful by far, as she has the best healing magic. She always looked really cool as well when she was doing her spells.

Lucca, Crono, and Magus are also my favorites... and Crono, Lucca, and Marle have the best combo moves in my opinion.

Killy
07-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Magus had the most variety, even though it doesnt matter much in this game. But he was still in my team 90% of the time after I got him.

MASA
07-08-2003, 03:53 AM
Magus...why?? He Got All The Element..But the guy who have the BEST magic is Spekkio lol

Velvet Mink
07-09-2003, 06:37 PM
C'mon people, vote for Flea :(

Sefie1999AD
07-10-2003, 12:43 AM
I'd say Magus. Fire2, Ice2, Lightning2, Dark Bomb, Magic Wall, Dark Mist, Black Hole, Dark Matter... that's a great collection of spells, and they do lots of damage. Give Magus a Gold Stud, and he'll hardly ever run out of MP. Magus also has cool Triple Techs like Dark Eternal or Omega Wave if you give him the proper stones.

Super Christ
07-10-2003, 01:48 AM
Crono and Lucca easily tie for best. Luminaire and Flare are easily the 2 coolest spells in the game.

Vermachtnis
07-10-2003, 02:27 AM
Chrono cause Luminair comes in hand when your reexploring old area's and weak, but annoying creatures come out 5 at a time.

ForeverZeroUltima
07-10-2003, 10:01 PM
hahahahaha...the only magic Ozzie uses is in his fort, he acts as a stool for Slash in Bad Impulse, and is the leader of Delta Force.

My favorite spell caster? let's see...that would be Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus,Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus,Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus,Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus, Lynx, Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus,Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus,Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus, Magus, and, Magus!

whoops did i put Lynx in there?

edczxcvbnm
07-11-2003, 01:10 PM
Here are the best Magic users in the party in order...of stuff.

Crono
Marle
Lucca
Frog
Robo
Ayla
Magus

Magus has attack magic...thats all besides one spell which is pointless by the time you get him. He has no variety and no double techs. He just :skull::skull::skull::skull:ing sucks.

ForeverZeroUltima
07-11-2003, 09:30 PM
?!?!?!?!?
thanks a lot, edczxcvbnm!
But, once he gets up to at least Dark Mist, he kicks major @$$!
AND YOU CAN'T DENY IT!

I AM THE MASTER OF FF3, FF7, CT, AND CC!

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-12-2003, 07:52 AM
Well, if you are looking for power, Chrono's Luminaire, Lucca's Flare, and Magus' Dark Matter (that was the strongest, right? It's been so long...) are the best. Marle/Nadia is good for healing, but I never use her 'cause she's a pansy. Ayla has some nice moves, and the first time through the game her and Chrono's Falcon Hit double tech is really helpful. Frog/Glenn is all right, I'd only use his healing and his physical, I have yet to be able to use frog squash to a great effect. When my characters are weakened, I heal, not attack. Robo/R66-Y is pretty good, I like his combination of healing and offense. Personally though, I feel Chrono and Magus are the best, Chrono because of Luminaire (and Confuse and Life) and Magus because he can use all elements, especially Shadow.

Imperia
07-13-2003, 05:59 PM
With me, it's way too hard to choose. All of them have great powers. All of the heroes can kick some serious butt. My favorite spell, however, is probably Magus' Dark Matter spell. I love that attack so much!

MASA
07-14-2003, 04:11 AM
Dark Matter are pretty Cool

But my favorite Single Tech is Illuminaire

For me the best team is Crono-Marle-Lucca......
Magus is strong but its an individual Guy in the party...i dont have lot of triple tech and Delta force Hit all enemie....it dont lookm cool but its strong...

Well....The BEST LOOKIN ATTACK of the game is Arc Impulse...Too Cool...Anyway...is my choice ;) !

edczxcvbnm
07-14-2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by ForeverZeroUltima
?!?!?!?!?
thanks a lot, edczxcvbnm!
But, once he gets up to at least Dark Mist, he kicks major @$$!
AND YOU CAN'T DENY IT!

I AM THE MASTER OF FF3, FF7, CT, AND CC!

Um....once Magus gets Dark Mist...he sucks still. Why? Not only are all his spells(besides one) attack spells, but Most all of them attack the whole screen or a radius of enemies...actually ALL of them attack a radius of enemies.

He is an all or nothing guy and that sucks. If you are fighting creatures that absorb different types of magic or something you can't use his magic because you will screw yourself.

He is a horrible person to use in battle on all levels.
-Sucks at magic
-isn't a great attacker(mainly because others have stronger weapons and you can max out everyone's power...which makes him suck)
-isn't a team player

ForeverZeroUltima
07-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by edczxcvbnm
Um....once Magus gets Dark Mist...he sucks still. Why? Not only are all his spells(besides one) attack spells, but Most all of them attack the whole screen or a radius of enemies...actually ALL of them attack a radius of enemies.

He is an all or nothing guy and that sucks. If you are fighting creatures that absorb different types of magic or something you can't use his magic because you will screw yourself.

He is a horrible person to use in battle on all levels.
-Sucks at magic
-isn't a great attacker(mainly because others have stronger weapons and you can max out everyone's power...which makes him suck)
-isn't a team player

$&*^&&%^(% you...he kicks MAJOR @$$ in my game! So shut the #^)% up!
hey, if anyone else is on my side, just say so!

Sefie1999AD
07-14-2003, 11:03 PM
$&*^&&%^(% you...he kicks MAJOR @$$ in my game! So shut the #^)% up!
hey, if anyone else is on my side, just say so!

I agree with ForeverZeroUltima. Edczxcvbnm, I don't think you can even use Magus. Say, do you hate him more or less than FF6's characters? :p

1) Magus doesn't suck with magical attacks. He can use every element, and with Gold Stud, he'll never run out of MP. Edczxcvbnm said, "If you are fighting creatures that absorb different types of magic or something you can't use his magic because you will screw yourself." What if you're Lucca and you're facing an enemy that absorbs Fire? She's not a good attacker and she can't heal, so she wouldn't be that great for the situation. Magus can at least blast that fire enemy with Ice2. An enemy that absorbs Dark attacks? There's still Fire/Ice/Lightning2.

2) Magus is a good attacker. He did 500-1000 damage in my game, without PrismSpecs. I had both his magic and power at **. Speed and stamina were also at **. Hit was 88 and evade was 74, so I couldn't max them out, but he sure doesn't suck stat-wise! And when I'm not in the mood of physical attacks, I'll use spells.

3) If Magus isn't a team player, then what's up with Magus/Lucca/Robo's Omega Flare triple-tech, and what's up with that being the most powerful stand-alone attack in the game, causing 7500+ damage to all targets for a very low MP? Magus/Lucca/Marle's Dark Eternal also did tons of damage. I used it to slaughter Yakra XIII really badly.

So overall, Magus doesn't suck if you can use him correctly. He's a great magic user in your party, and maybe even more impressive when he's your enemy.

MASA
07-15-2003, 12:15 AM
Im with ForeverZeroUltima and Sephiroth

Ok...i Say wath i think of magus

:-:Bad Thing:-:

=No DualTech
=Just 3 Weapon :(
=No Physical Magic
=FINISH!

------------------

:-:Good Thing:-:

=He can use all element...so hes good for all Battle =anywhere and WHEN you want
=Magus Are Really Powerfull in magic.....
=Magus Have lot of Magic Defense..ant lot of physical to
=Magus have POWERFULL triple tech
=Magus hes really Helpfull VS magus
=He fly oO...lol...
=Hes the only guy in all the team who use shadow....and spekkio can learn things from magus !!

------------------

:-:Bug about Magus:-:

=Why do his face change??When he was janus he was so cool
=When u battle vs em he have 6666HP oO!!!
=When hes a boss he got darketernal oO!!!!!!!!!

Super Christ
07-15-2003, 04:14 AM
While I don't think Magus sucks like ed does, I'm still going to have to back him up on this one. He may have one of the top 3 most powerful single spells in the game (Luminaire, Flare, and Dark Matter) he's still not all that great a spellcaster.

Originally posted by Sephiroth1999AD
1) Magus doesn't suck with magical attacks. He can use every element, and with Gold Stud, he'll never run out of MP. Edczxcvbnm said, "If you are fighting creatures that absorb different types of magic or something you can't use his magic because you will screw yourself." What if you're Lucca and you're facing an enemy that absorbs Fire? She's not a good attacker and she can't heal, so she wouldn't be that great for the situation. Magus can at least blast that fire enemy with Ice2. An enemy that absorbs Dark attacks? There's still Fire/Ice/Lightning2.

That situation comes up several times in the Undersea Palace, and I'd hate to have Magus on my team; Lucca's a much better choice. For instance, just to pull a single encounter out of the Undersea Palace, 2 Scouts, 2 Red Scouts, and 2 Blue Scouts. Magus fighting them would look like this:
Magus casts Fire 2.
Red Scout dies.
Red Scout dies.
Blue Scout counterattacks: Water.
Blue Scout counterattacks: Water.
Scout counterattacks: Lightning.
Magus casts Ice 2.
Blue Scout dies.
Blue Scout dies.
Magus casts Lightning 2.
Scout dies.
Scout dies.

However, Crono, Lucca, and Marle together could get it done faster without incurring any counterattacks.
Crono casts Lightning 1.
Scout dies.
Lucca casts Fire 1.
Red scout dies.
Marle casts Ice 1.
Blue scout dies.
Crono casts Lightning 1.
Scout dies.
Lucca casts Fire 1.
Red scout dies.
Marle casts Ice 1.
Blue scout dies.

And then there's other fights; for instance, against Queen Zeal on top of the Black Omen. There you definitely don't want to use any full screen attacks. But, the only only 2 attack spells Magus has that aren't full screen are Dark Bomb, which isn't all that great, and Black Hole, which doesn't affect bosses and doesn't even do all that much in normal battles anyway.

As for the situation you described, Lucca against an enemy who's resistant to fire; that's why you have other party members. With Crono, Lucca, and Marle together you have everything you need; great physical and versatile lightning from Crono, versatile fire from Lucca, and then healing and versatile ice from Marle. And you're not lacking in shadow - Delta Force deals shadow damage.

Originally posted by Sephiroth1999AD
3) If Magus isn't a team player, then what's up with Magus/Lucca/Robo's Omega Flare triple-tech, and what's up with that being the most powerful stand-alone attack in the game, causing 7500+ damage to all targets for a very low MP? Magus/Lucca/Marle's Dark Eternal also did tons of damage. I used it to slaughter Yakra XIII really badly.
He still isn't a team player. Everyone but Magus has 15 double techs, and in the way of triple techs, Crono has 10; Marle, Lucca, and Robo have 7 each; and Frog and Ayla have 6 each. Magus, however, has no double techs and only 2 triple techs, and even for those you have to have one of those colored stones equipped to make him do them. Granted, Omega Flare is the strongest single spell in the game, but Antipode 3 does nearly as much damage, costs slightly less magic, and your third character is still free to act; say, if it's Crono, throw down a Luminaire and you've done more damage between the 3 of you than Omega Flare does. (5000+ for Antipode 3 and then 4000 or so for Luminaire).

Still, for the highest rate of damage you can get in one single turn, the best you can do is Crono: Luminaire (4000 or so), then Lucca: Flare (3000+) and finally Magus: Dark Matter (3000+), for a total of 10000+ damage. Unless Ayla gets lucky and hits critical, but even then it's only against one enemy.

Originally posted by Kr0N0s
=Hes the only guy in all the team who use shadow....
Not quite right. Robo's laser spin does shadow, as well as the antipodes, and most of the triple techs.

edczxcvbnm
07-15-2003, 06:06 AM
Thank you for backing me up on that one Super Christ so I didn't have to explain that part of it all.

Magus is not a bad attacker by any means. Its just that compared to others he isn't so hot. Lucca is strong as hell. With her best weapon she is a terrific attacker. Crono has the rainbow with a 70% critical hit rate. Frog has the Masamune which is stronger than magus's best weapon. You have alya which can hit for 9999 damage. There is Robo who I never use but I think his best weapon is still stronger than Magus's...I could be wrong.

This puts magus at #6 way above marle(by far the worst). Thats the way I see the attacking. He isn't bad by any means...but when you have 5 other guys who attack better why bother with him?

Yep...Magus sucks in battle.

MASA
07-15-2003, 10:38 PM
=However, Crono, Lucca, and Marle together could get it done faster without incurring any counterattacks.
Crono casts Lightning 1.
Scout dies.
Magus casts Fire 2
Blue Scout CounterAttack With Water
Scout CounterAttack with lighning
Red scout dies.
Marle casts Ice 1.
Blue scout dies.
Crono casts Lightning 1.
Scout dies.
Lucca casts Fire 1.
Red scout dies.
Marle casts Ice 1.
Blue scout dies.

They have a counter attack here.....but magus dont do all the job

=And then there's other fights; for instance, against Queen Zeal on top of the Black Omen. There you definitely don't want to use any full screen attacks. But, the only only 2 attack spells Magus has that aren't full screen are Dark Bomb, which isn't all that great, and Black Hole, which doesn't affect bosses and doesn't even do all that much in normal battles anyway.

Your R Right hre...but make a NORMAL attack

=As for the situation you described, Lucca against an enemy who's resistant to fire; that's why you have other party members. With Crono, Lucca, and Marle together you have everything you need; great physical and versatile lightning from Crono, versatile fire from Lucca, and then healing and versatile ice from Marle. And you're not lacking in shadow - Delta Force deals shadow damage.

Yea This team is the one who i use

He still isn't a team player. Everyone but Magus has 15 double techs, and in the way of triple techs, Crono has 10; Marle, Lucca, and Robo have 7 each; and Frog and Ayla have 6 each. Magus, however, has no double techs and only 2 triple techs, and even for those you have to have one of those colored stones equipped to make him do them. Granted, Omega Flare is the strongest single spell in the game, but Antipode 3 does nearly as much damage, costs slightly less magic, and your third character is still free to act; say, if it's Crono, throw down a Luminaire and you've done more damage between the 3 of you than Omega Flare does. (5000+ for Antipode 3 and then 4000 or so for Luminaire).

=Yea here u r right i agree with this

Still, for the highest rate of damage you can get in one single turn, the best you can do is Crono: Luminaire (4000 or so), then Lucca: Flare (3000+) and finally Magus: Dark Matter (3000+), for a total of 10000+ damage. Unless Ayla gets lucky and hits critical, but even then it's only against one enemy.

= a Plus for Magus ;)

Not quite right. Robo's laser spin does shadow, as well as the antipodes, and most of the triple techs.

=Right but i talk of the ELEMENT and not of the ATTACK

MASA
07-15-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by edczxcvbnm
Thank you for backing me up on that one Super Christ so I didn't have to explain that part of it all.

Magus is not a bad attacker by any means. Its just that compared to others he isn't so hot. Lucca is strong as hell. With her best weapon she is a terrific attacker. Crono has the rainbow with a 70% critical hit rate. Frog has the Masamune which is stronger than magus's best weapon. You have alya which can hit for 9999 damage. There is Robo who I never use but I think his best weapon is still stronger than Magus's...I could be wrong.

This puts magus at #6 way above marle(by far the worst). Thats the way I see the attacking. He isn't bad by any means...but when you have 5 other guys who attack better why bother with him?

Yep...Magus sucks in battle.

Uh??
Marle??? 5th ???

Marle are really good
She R really Really Really usefull in battle
She is my healer...
look how i beat Magus

==The Battle Begin

Frog attack with Masamune
Crono Attack With His Sword
Marle Cast Speed on Her
Magus Cast lighning2.....

Frog Attack With Masamune
Crono Cast Lighning2
Marle Cast Speed on Frog
Magus Cast an other magic
==

When All Ur character are speed up u use a lapis And u use marle for Heal....U r sure ton win EASILY!!

...Yea i know marle doesnt have a STRONG attack àbut she have Revive2 REALLY USEFULL...So for me the the rankin Are

1)Crono
2)Marle
3)Lucca
4)Magus
5)Ayla
6)Frog
7)Robo

ForeverZeroUltima
07-15-2003, 11:35 PM
@^#^&$#$^%#^&%$#%

thank you, whoever you are with teh Janus avatar. Thanks everyone who backed me up.

sigh.........by the way, my ayla totally sucks. i mean, she already has bronze fist [or was it iron fist?] at level 72 and her critical does a lot less than my magus's noncritical attaack. and my magus is 10 levels lower! this is the only thing i disagree with Janus avatar person.

MASA
07-16-2003, 03:01 AM
Well...i agree with ur disagreation...
Hell yea...Janus are too cool..i like his look....and his hair....but anyway i dont like ayla.........

edczxcvbnm
07-20-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by MASA
Uh??
Marle??? 5th ???

You don't have to tell me how awesome Marle is in battle. She is my second main player. She has quite possibly the best dual techs in the game. I don't think she has a dual tech that ISN'T useful as hell in the game.

I was talking about strickly attacking wise. She is by far the worst ranking in at #7.

As for the Magus, Crono and Lucca team dealing the most damage...I disagree. Use Marle, Crono and Lucca. As soon as Marle casts Haste the other 2 are dealing double the damage they would normally deal in the same amount of time. On top of that after you cast haste on them all you could switch from flare to Antipode 3 and deal even more damage faster.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-20-2003, 04:43 AM
Good point, edczxcvbnm. I meant more along the lines of base damage though. I've never really liked Marle personally, though it seems like I should have experimented more with her. Ah well, too late, our Chrono Trigger was fried from overuse.

MASA
07-20-2003, 04:44 AM
I talk about the OVERALL of the character...marle are TOO usefull to the team u need her !