PDA

View Full Version : Supernova: Limit or Summon? Potential Spoilers

Ultima Seraph
07-07-2003, 05:36 AM
What do you think? Limit Break or Summon?

I say it's a limit break... Why exactly would Sephiroth carry around materia at that stage anyway? Besides... it seems Sephiroth has only enough MP to cast Wall on himself. Give him an ether in the middle of battle, and he casts wall again.

Other than that, in Nibelheim, during the flashback, he has materia, but he doesn't actually use his mp...

Another thing, yeah, he does Supernova regardless of how many times you attack him... but he could be set on a time schedule, meaning he'll use it after a certain number of rounds.

Big D
07-07-2003, 07:41 AM
Safer-Sephiroth has virtually unlimited MP - he uses spells like Break during the battle, as well as Wall.

Powerful monsters typically don't need to carry Materia in order to use magic. Monsters are a natural 'part' of the Planet, so I guess it's understandable that some can manipulate the Planet's natural forces. Sephiroth was becoming one with the Planet, plus he had the benefit of Jenova's 'superor magic', so he probably didn't need Materia at all by that stage.

Super Nova might be somewhere in between Magic and a Limit Break. It's a powerful assault, undeniably; it causes magical and physical damage, as well as having a strong element of illusion. So it has aspects of nearly every type of attack.

I'm going to think of it as a magical limit-type assault thingy.:)

Other than that, in Nibelheim, during the flashback, he has materia, but he doesn't actually use his mp...
He doesn't lose HP, either. They made Sephiroth completely invulnerable for this part of the game, so there's absolutely no way that he can get harmed enough to damage his reputation as 'the greatest warrior ever'.

Ultima Seraph
07-07-2003, 08:10 AM
^~ yeah, I know his hp doesn't go down either... heheh... I just want to know what people think about supernova.

Gregory
07-14-2003, 12:00 AM
It's a summon because you see the star-type circular things go around evey character before they summon Knights of Round or Typhoon or whatnot. You see the same starlike things around Sephiroth when he summons the nova thing. It's a <lala> ass :skull::skull::skull::skull:ed up sign, ya know.

Edit by Kishi: Watch your language.

Wightraven
07-14-2003, 03:47 AM
You had a rather loverly comment until you mentioned the "<lala> ass *skull*ed up sign".

By the way, unless your sig is some sort of joke I don't get, the word is "perfected", not "prefected". However if you did goof, I shall enjoy this moment of irony.

*enjoys*

All right, now then, it's not a summon, it's not from materia, it's not a limit; what it is is Jenova's supreme powers of illusion channeling through Sephi. Recall where it was talked about that she "showed the ancients their dead" all Jenova's power of illusion. Jenova is a master illusionist, and was giving that power to Sephi, who utilized it. If an illusion is powerful enough, it CAN hurt a person.

So there. 'ave that then.

Rostum
07-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Wightraven: I'm assuming it was just a typo, so you don't need to act all smartarsy over it. And yes I know smartarsy isn't a word... god...

Anyways, it would have been one of Jenova's illusions that Sephiroth would have used against the party. I mean wouldn't you if you had the power to? ~_^

Sefie1999AD
07-14-2003, 04:57 PM
I think Super Nova is a Summon. During summoning sequences, the spell caster disappears for the duration of the summon. The same happens when Sephiroth casts it.

radyk05
07-14-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Wightraven
You had a rather loverly comment until you mentioned the "<lala> ass *skull*ed up sign".

By the way, unless your sig is some sort of joke I don't get, the word is "perfected", not "prefected". However if you did goof, I shall enjoy this moment of irony.

*enjoys*

All right, now then, it's not a summon, it's not from materia, it's not a limit; what it is is Jenova's supreme powers of illusion channeling through Sephi. Recall where it was talked about that she "showed the ancients their dead" all Jenova's power of illusion. Jenova is a master illusionist, and was giving that power to Sephi, who utilized it. If an illusion is powerful enough, it CAN hurt a person.

So there. 'ave that then.

that would be ok but the only problem is that you kill jenova BEFORE the one winged angel. remember that sephiroth is very powerful by himself.
as for if it is a summon or a limit break... i wouldn't know.

Psychotic
07-14-2003, 06:23 PM
The only reason why it might not be a summon is because it's not really a "creature" as such. I mean, Choco Mog, Shiva, Ifrit, Titan, Ramuh, Odin, Kjata, Leviathan, Typoon, Bahamut(and other variants) Hades and KoTR are all living things, and Supernova is just, er well gas or something, I apologise for my lack of supernova knowledge.

But it does make sense, summoning a comet or whatever it is, so I think it's a summon.

OneWingedAngel
07-15-2003, 04:48 AM
I think its a summon. Like someone said before me, Seph dissapears the same way characters dissapear when they summon.

Just like all other summons, he calls upon an "outside force" sure its not a chocobo or a group of knights, but he is " Summoning" the supernova.

The animation is WAY to long.. that is a summon trademark.

Also all Limits in FF7 are based on Damage and even if he doesnt take damage he does Supernova over and over.

I guess the best way to describe it is as a "Special Attack"

Wightraven
07-15-2003, 11:40 AM
Wightraven: I'm assuming it was just a typo, so you don't need to act all smartarsy over it.

See, mate, but that's the irony though, isn't it? That if it IS a typo, and he's saying he's "prefected" the game, there's irony, right? As he typoed the... o nevermind.

And I do believe Jenova wasn't well and truly dead when you "killed" her that last time. She's rather difficult to do in as memory serves.

Big D
07-15-2003, 11:51 AM
Jenova's cells and will lived on in Sephiroth, who consequently has some of her powers of illusion and magic. Supernova, in my opinion, is a powerful magic attack delivered in an illusion.

It's strange... Sephiroth disappears when he casts Super Nova, but once the spell has neared completeion, he's back there, surrounded by its awesome fire, almost like he's basking in the glory of his own destructive creation - or trying to intimidate his foes by appearing invulnerable to a very powerful attack.

Rude
07-15-2003, 07:40 PM
I show my children the Supernova spell when it's bedtime and I want them to go to sleep.

§håd0w
07-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Thats a good way to make them crap the bed at night.

GaV
08-13-2003, 09:35 PM
MmM thats a hard 1, i would say you could class is as either and so i would personally call it a special attack that is supposed to strike fear into its enemies hearts. A couple small links i made to it though, jeNOVA, "supernova" comes from the sky, jenova came form the sky. Dunno if it means anything but it does have a link.

Zild
08-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Wightraven
See, mate, but that's the irony though, isn't it? That if it IS a typo, and he's saying he's "prefected" the game, there's irony, right? As he typoed the... o nevermind.

And I do believe Jenova wasn't well and truly dead when you "killed" her that last time. She's rather difficult to do in as memory serves.

He said he perfected FFVII, not his spelling.

Still, it is a pretty stupid thing to say!

For Supernova - I'm not gonna say which category it falls into. What I will say is that if he does use Jenova's illusionary power, this might explain his disappearing-reappearing act... perhaps his disappearance is only an illusion?

I don't know why he'd do that. But hell, I don't know why he'd re-appear/remain in an inferno either...

Then again, he always was one cabbage short of an allotment...

§håd0w
08-15-2003, 12:43 AM
dammit. i got completely lost after the whole spelling debate.

o_O
08-15-2003, 12:15 PM
In my opinion, Supernova is a spell. All summons are otherwise characterised by unmissably being living creatures. The only limit break I can think of that is remotely similar to Supernova is Cloud's, Meteorain and even that is quite distant. All limit breaks seem to be identifiable in that they are 'self-resourced' if you will; they all seem to be created or executed from the immediate respective character, whereas Supernova is never within Sephiroth's striking range to begin with, as each limit break is. Also, it must be remembered that your party disappears when you cast Ultima, so that's supported by Sephiroth's action.

Zild
08-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Doesn't Barret have a limit that rains meteors on the enemy?

I may be totally wrong here, but I'm not sure I can agree with the thing about limits being within their reach... clouds seem to be so, but I'm sure some of the others aren't...

Where Cid's missile strike or whateve would fall is arguably on either side of the fence!

§håd0w
08-15-2003, 09:40 PM
cloud does. not sure bout barret, i never worried about his break limits. only his stats, since their so good, he has no need for limits, or cant use them for that matter

one_winged_angel
08-15-2003, 10:49 PM
1. a nova is a star exploding, not gas

2. I dont think ANY of aeris' limits (exept first) come from her and especially her ultimate (yup, im THAT sad, i got it)

3. the whole "can't be a limit break coz it takes time not damage" thing. when you fight sephiroth in the end fmv clouds limit charges with time so why not sephiroth's?

4. and finally a prefect, typically used in schools, is like some one in an organisation, excluding staff, who has been given a greater authority because they can handle the responsibility eg. a student that has been put above the other pupils

o_O
08-16-2003, 06:13 AM
Barrett's Satellite Beam is the one that comes from...well, not him. I forgot about that one. I've always been under the impression that it came from some airborne weapon of sorts. And I excluded Cid's Highwind 'cause that's essentially available to him at all times. If you get what I mean.... :p
Aeris' limit breaks are basically all magic, rather than physical. (Kinda hard to 'physically' heal yourself. :p )

I can't really put my finger on what it is using words, there's something about Supernova which puts it halfway between a limit break and a summon in my opinion.

Big D
08-16-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by one_winged_angel
1. a nova is a star exploding, not gas
A SUPERnova is an exploding star. But that's beside the point, it's obvious that Sephiroth doens't really blow up the entire solar system every time he uses his special move; it's a magical-based attack with the illusory framework of a supernova.

remi07
08-17-2003, 04:02 AM
In my FFII walk through they said that it was a summon.

§håd0w
08-17-2003, 11:48 PM
FFII or FFVII? im hoping that was just a typo. :p

kizuya
05-05-2006, 09:06 PM
heres the answer, it IS materia, but farther than that, its one you can never have :D

remember the one materia he does get, need, and use...BLACK materia

and like other materia, dont you think it levels up too? i mean the first level summoned one meteor to attack one planet....dont you think it would get worse at level 2? of course it would! so the lvl 2 to the black materia is "summoning" a meteor to go to the sun and cause a supernova :) :tonberry:

on another note, it would be nice if it was an ESkill and you could use it on him, and be the one standing there with the exploding sun behind you intimidating him ;)

Psychotic
05-06-2006, 04:58 AM
kizuya, please don't revive dead threads, especially when they're almost 3 years old.

Also, don't double post either. Use the edit/delete button.