PDA

View Full Version : How close were Barret and Tifa before the game

darkchrono
07-07-2003, 07:05 AM
Did you guys get the impression that Barret and Tifa were rather close to eachother. Almost like a family in a way.

I remember the first time I went through the game some years ago and when you go to the Seventh Heaven bar and to their hideout. And if I remember right Cloud is demanding his pay that he earned and Barret does not want to give it to him and Tifa kind of scolds him in away. And then Barret says something like "Come on Tifa, that is supposed to be Marlene's schoolin money."

And then Tifa scolds him again and Barret finally gives in.

At that point in the game I thought that Barret and Tifa were married and that Marlene was their kid. I later learned that was not true at all.

Maybe not married or anything. But are Barret and Tifa supposed to be applyed to be very close. Almost like a family and are kind of parents to Marlene.

But that one scene almost hints at kind of a family argument.

But if they are playing the role of parents to Marlene they definitly are not good parents. Because they seem to like to leave 5 year olds alone to watch a bar, lol.

Big D
07-07-2003, 07:29 AM
At that point in the game I thought that Barret and Tifa were married and that Marlene was their kid. I later learned that was not true at all.I thought something like this briefly at first, too.

Tifa and Barret are comrades, with goals, ideals and a burning hatred of Shinra in common. Both lost loved ones in the past, so they share a lot of pain.

Tifa does kind of act as a surrogate mother for Marlene, too.

But if they are playing the role of parents to Marlene they definitly are not good parents. Because they seem to like to leave 5 year olds alone to watch a bar, lol.Good point - Barret also has Marlene present when he's beating up Biggs and plotting terrorist acts with his AVALANCHE pals. Hopefully the time that Marlene spent with Aeris and Elmyra was enough to stabilise her psyche. It'd suck if she turned all evil, destructive and twisted then grew up to become the main enemy in FFVII-2...