PDA

View Full Version : Color schemes

Erdrick Holmes
07-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Ed's techincolor nightmare- Eye burner (I though my moniter tube would burn out)

Normal EoFF color scheme- Boring

I like how you guys added the quick reply forum view but I think we need to add 1 or two more user changable colorschemes, like a nive black and red, or a Matrix style Green and black.

It's just a thought

Citizen Bleys
07-07-2003, 03:49 PM
The problem with insane numbers of color schemes is that each one needs its own set of templates, and that means I have to reinstall all of the template hacks each and every time.

I already hate doing all of my work in triplicate. Besides, the EoFF color scheme is a tradition.

Dr Unne
07-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Yay for tradition. I likes the color scheme.

Loony BoB
07-07-2003, 05:19 PM
The colourscheme we have here is part of Eyes on Final Fantasy. Boring? Maybe, to some. But once you come down to it, this site is far easier on the eyes than any other site I've ever been to, it's got the perfect happy medium for relaxing your eyes. In my opinion, anyway.

I think that offering more colour schemes for EoFF would be like Ferrari offering more colour schemes for their F1GP cars. Ruins the distinction of it all.

Oh, and Bleys' reason is there too, I guess...

Flying Mullet
07-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
The problem with insane numbers of color schemes is that each one needs its own set of templates, and that means I have to reinstall all of the template hacks each and every time.

I already hate doing all of my work in triplicate. Besides, the EoFF color scheme is a tradition.

If it takes extra maintenance for each color scheme, why do you use ed's? Does anybody use it?

Erdrick Holmes
07-07-2003, 06:00 PM
I think a nice red and black scheme would make me smile, a matrix style theme would work.

m4tt
07-07-2003, 06:07 PM
It's not about just making you smile, it's about making everyone smile. And mostly making Bleys happy. :p

I like the EoFF default. Red and black is ugly, in my opinion. Green and black is nice, but I look at that all day at work, and it gets old really fast. :P

Loony BoB
07-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Another problem is all the people who use coloured fonts to suit one background won't work with another background.

It's been asked before. Basically, the answer is no.

Strider
07-07-2003, 07:01 PM
What exactly makes this background boring? I really like it.

Flying Mullet
07-07-2003, 07:13 PM
If there's one color that's associated with Final Fantasy, it's blue. And seeing how this is a Final Fantasy oriented site, it's fitting that an "easy-on-the-eyes" set of blue is used for the forum color scheme.

Yamaneko
07-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Change = bad. Boring = simplicity. Simplicity = goal.

The Man
07-07-2003, 10:27 PM
If you put $debug=1; into the global.php file in the admin control panel, you'll be able edit the vBulletin default templates so that you'll only have to make changes to the global style set, and they'll apply to everything on the board. That's what I've done. ;)

Shlup
07-07-2003, 10:38 PM
I like different colorschemes, but I sure as hell am not going through that tedium.

The Man
07-07-2003, 10:42 PM
I don't think it'd be really that much work though; I'm pretty sure there's a series of queries that'd do all the work for you in moving EoFF's custom templates into the default set, then deleting the original defaults. I just haven't figured out what that series is yet... I'll get back to you on it. ;) *goes around to play in phpmyadmin some*

edit: ok, the easiest way to do it would be to make everything in the first template set into a custom template, which would be easy to do because you could just click down the list of "modify defaults." once you'd copied EVERY default template into the first style set you'd then just run the following queries:

delete from template where templatesetid=-1
update template set templatesetid=-1 where templatesetid=1

After that it'd require pretty much no editing whatsoever to create new style sets; the only stuff you'd really have to worry about would be the headinclude template and the replacements. But I probably confused something somewhere in my directions, so I'd definitely recommend having some sort of backup before you did it, and you'd probably do good to IM me before you did it as well, if you'll even bother (the odds are that you won't, but I'm typing all this out anyway 'cause I've little better to do at the moment). ;)

I wanted to be able to surpass the "copying everything to custom templates" bit, but I couldn't find a query that'd be able to let me do that. I tried this query: "select templatesetid, templateid from template t left join template.templatesetid, template.templateid on t.templateid=template.templateid where template.templatesetid=-1 and t.templatesetid=1," which was designed to get the only templates we'd REALLY have to delete, but it didn't work, probably because the left join operator isn't designed to select from the same database. Unfortunately, since that first plan of attack failed, it's obvious that I don't have enough MySQL knowledge to be able to write that specific query.

This is probably nonsense to all of you but cl_out and Bleys, so I'll just shut up now. Still, it'd be a heck of a lot easier to have all your template modifications stored in your defaults, I'd imagine, so yeah =P

Citizen Bleys
07-08-2003, 12:43 AM
It's nonsense to me, too *nod*

TheAbominatrix
07-08-2003, 12:58 AM
I dont really wanna push anything that would make you guys do extra work, but yeah this dark scheme is a bit tedious for me. Something new would be nice, not anything like black and red or something hideous. Like white and black or white and blue. Something. These dark colors can get a bit tiresome. *shrugs* There's my 2 cents. Yay for you.

crono_logical
07-08-2003, 01:01 AM
Use the edczxcvbnm colour scheme if you don't want dark colours :p

TheAbominatrix
07-08-2003, 01:04 AM
:p No way in Hell.

PhoenixAsh
07-08-2003, 01:46 AM
You know if you made Ed's scheme the default for everyone for a few days it'd probably stop people complaining about this ;).

I'm used to the standard one, it's friendly. Though is it possible to alter the black around the threads to have maybe a star pattern or something? That might liven it up a little.

The Man
07-08-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
It's nonsense to me, too *nod* Well, damn. That means it probably won't make sense to ANYONE, then.

Contact me on AIM later if you can be arsed so I can explain it to you. ;)

Red Wizard
07-08-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by PhoenixAsh
You know if you made Ed's scheme the default for everyone for a few days it'd probably stop people complaining about this ;).

I'm used to the standard one, it's friendly. Though is it possible to alter the black around the threads to have maybe a star pattern or something? That might liven it up a little.

Already happened.

PhoenixAsh
07-08-2003, 02:54 AM
When? Who stole my idea then somehow told people about it before I came up with it? I want them hanged, HANGED dammit!

eestlinc
07-08-2003, 03:31 AM
this was months ago, dude. you missed it apparently.

m4tt
07-08-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by PhoenixAsh
When? Who stole my idea then somehow told people about it before I came up with it? I want them hanged, HANGED dammit!

Bleys did it. And you don't wanna mess with Bleys.

RSL
07-08-2003, 03:48 AM
http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33455

Click that link to find a bunch of links to threads that were posted when this happened.

Yamaneko
07-08-2003, 05:10 AM
You guys should be glad what we have. It could be a lot worse, like this (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/).

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-08-2003, 06:12 AM
Star background < 1997 FFVII fansites. Good times.

Leeza
07-08-2003, 07:31 AM
I think that the only good thing that would come from adding more colourschemes is that people can then make one thread after another for a poll on which colourscheme they use. On second thought...that's not such a good thing.

I like these traditional colours and for some reason I like knowing that everyone else is looking at the same colours as I am.

eestlinc
07-08-2003, 08:46 AM
this color scheme is really about as good as it could possibly be. Maybe the problem is you.

Loony BoB
07-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Still no.

Oh, crap, I closed it. Darn.