PDA

View Full Version : ?--Aeris or Aerith--?

SirenGriever
07-07-2003, 04:40 PM
Ever since kingdom hearts changed aeris's name to aerith I've noticed that people have called her by either name. I've heard people call her aerith instead of aeris or vise versa (if you like saying aerith better). To me it doesn't matter I suppose. I call her aeris, but I will say aerith once in a while. I'm curious what you guys think on this subject. And if I confused you with all this aeris--aerith nonsense...well...sorry...;)

It's like somethin' outta the Twilight Zone...It's like...Twilight Zoney...:eek: :whoa: :whoa:

:love: :love: I love to ramble!!!:love: :love:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-07-2003, 07:39 PM
Since Square went and officially contradicted themselves, either name is correct. I prefer Aeris.

Flying Mullet
07-07-2003, 07:42 PM
I always call her sheath, as in sword sheath.

Yumi-Yimi
07-07-2003, 08:17 PM
I always say Aeris. It's much nicer than Aerith (sorry all Aerith-saying people out there).

JonJonB
07-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Since Square went and officially contradicted themselves, either name is correct. I prefer Aeris.Uh, no. They didn't contradict themselves, they corrected SCEA's most important translation error. Even if they'd just bothered to look at Square Japan's site at the time, they'd have known the official (read: proper) translation was Aerith, but they screwed it up at the last minute for some reason.

TheAbominatrix
07-07-2003, 11:01 PM
Hear hear. I try to call most of the characters in every FF game by the original Japanese name. I usually use Aerith, though around here it's either or for me. I try and use the English names when I'm talking to other people (ie: Terra instead of the original Tina, etc)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-08-2003, 06:26 AM
C'mon, that was hardly their most important translation error. Barret. Safer Sephiroth--there's a translation error.

Deandre
07-08-2003, 07:59 AM
Yes, that still sucks... I think it should be Seraph Sephiroth (ya know, the seraphim, the angel?)

And I usually say Aeris, just because the European version has the flower-lady called that way.

JonJonB
07-08-2003, 09:04 AM
C'mon, that was hardly their most important translation error. Barret. Safer Sephiroth--there's a translation error.Uh, they removed one "t" from Barret and nobody's ever conclusively proven that it's not supposed to be "Safer" (in fact I've seen some good points of evidence in the past that backs up the translation quite well).

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Respectively, they're supposed to be Bullet and Sepher Sephiroth. But really, this is all besides the point.

MJN SEIFER
07-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Aeris for me but Aerith isn't her only alternate name did you forget "Ealis"

remi07
07-09-2003, 04:15 PM
It's AERIS dammit! Aeris just sounds prettier than Aerith. Aeris rolls right off your tongue.

MJN SEIFER
07-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Actually I now remember!

TH and S are similar in Japanese!

Deandre
07-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Ah, just like they don't have an L there :p

That explains the wrong translation :)

MJN SEIFER
07-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Correct! at the moment I know of:

L/R

TH/S

B/V

Z/J!

But then us English have our own mixes with leters don we?

Xu
07-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Aerith is an anagram for "I Earth" , wich is more intresting name (considerating all that numerology/esoteric stuff from the game) , but Aeris sounds better.

the blitzer
07-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Aeris defintely sounds better.

IamTidus
07-11-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Flying Mullet
I always call her sheath, as in sword sheath.
That has to be the best name I have ever heard for her.

Anyway I say both actually depending on how I feel.

SOLDIER #819
07-13-2003, 07:26 PM
I think they both sound great, haha...But I always call call her by English translation name, Aeris. It just kinda stuck to me, as, well, I only played the English version of it, not the Japanese version. But yeah...They both sound like good choices to me. If I wanted to, I could probably switch from one name to the other, or just use one continuously...

But yeah, Aerith does have a lot more meaning to it. SquareSoft Japan had made sure it had meaning to it. But since I pronounce Aeris, "I-Riss", and not, "Air-Ees", the name automatically sounds like the name of a flower. I don't know if that's the proper pronounciation or not, and I don't really mind if it is either, it makes sense, in my opinion.

But both sound just fine to me.

Deandre
07-13-2003, 07:33 PM
I usually say Aires... or something...

Gregory
07-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Aeris. Yep. Her default name is Aeris so I call her that. It's just natural. Aeris is more stronger sounding as Aerith. Aerith is just plain delecate.

SirenGriever
07-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I like saying Aeris better than Aerith too. I never heard of Aeris's name as the other alternative, 'Ealis'. I've never heard of 'Ealis' before.

It's like somethin' outta the Twilight Zone...It's like...Twilight Zoney...:eek: :whoa: :whoa:

:love: :love: I love to ramble!!!:love: :love:

Raistlin
07-16-2003, 11:28 PM
I've always used Aerith.

Roogle
07-17-2003, 12:44 AM
Since I was introduced to her originally as Aeris, that's the name I'll always use.

Zild
07-28-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by MJN SEIFER
Actually I now remember!

TH and S are similar in Japanese!

Actually, there is no TH in Japanese, so Japanese people usually end up saying S instead...

This begs the question, why did the Japanese include a name they can't even pronounce in their version of the game?!

Personally, I'd happily see the Japanese use Japanese-sounding names 90% of the time, and the rest of the world not translate them at all...

Having said that, I always use Aeris because that'swhat I'm used to.

Barret was Bullet? That makes sense... So the rumours I heard of 7 being rushed are sounding more and more true...

*Runs back to the remake or sequel thread and votes remake - perhaps they'll finish the job this time!*

TheAbominatrix
07-28-2003, 07:17 AM
No, Japanese have no sound for 'L' in their language, so they have trouble pronouncing it. A good example is in the Japanese Sailormoon cartoons, they pronounce it 'Sera' (say-ra). Cloud would be pronounced 'Croud' or something to that effect. The fact that they pronounced Aerith as 'Aeris' could have been the reason why it was changed in the English version, again citing Sailormoon as an example (apologies to everyone), the original name of the Moon Queen was 'Selenity', and of course it was pronounced 'Serenity', so when it was dubbed they changed the official English name to 'Serenity'.

Aya Nekoneko
07-28-2003, 07:24 AM
It's true that the Japanese have no "th" sound so they use the "s" sound instead. Same thing goes for "Sephiroth" which is pronounced with the "s" in the end instead of the "th" in Japan.

And I personally type using "Aerith" (for the most part...) but it just sounds weird pronounced that way. Like a lisp or something.

Zild
07-28-2003, 03:50 PM
Yeah, strange... being able to say TH actually makes it sound like a lisp!

Abominatrix, you're right about the lack of an L... but they don't really have an R either... Let me explain...

The japanese have a sound which, when written in roman letters, is written as an R (in fact, they have the letters RA, RI RU RE and RO - all japanese letters end in a, i, u, e or o, with the exception of n which itself is pronounced very softly...)

However, although it is written as an R, it is not quite pronounced the same. The letter it signifies is a cross between an L and an R (I still can't pronounce it myself).

This is why, when Japanese people try to say the letter R, it sounds quite like and L, whilst when they try to say L it sounds much like an R...

Indeed, they do normally pronounce TH as S, V as B and Z as J - this could be awkard for me, as the name I typically use on the net is Zild or Zild Remo!

TheAbominatrix
07-28-2003, 03:57 PM
It may be a hybrid, but L is usually replaced by an R or even occasionally a D sound. I havent noticed them to mispronounce R's, but I could be wrong... and if they do mispronounce it, why would they make it sound like an L? Doesnt make sense to me. Ah well, I'll have my friend ask his girlfriend, she's Japanese.