PDA

View Full Version : Can't Defragment Hard Drive/Run Scandisk Need Help UREGNTLY ;_;

DMKA
07-08-2003, 01:15 PM
Ok, I run scandisk, and it says something like "scandisk has restarted 10 times...this is because another program is writing to the hard disk" and when I run disk defragment it gets to about 2% and keeps starting over..........so apparently theres some "program" running accoding to this, but I use the program closer (control+Alt+Delete) and theres nothing running.........I can't figure this out and my comp is in desparate need of a defrag.....someone please help:( (BTW I have Windows ME if that matters at all)

Endless
07-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Google is your friend:
http://www.russelltech.com/ComputerTips/ScandiskDefrag.htm

Flying Mullet
07-08-2003, 03:20 PM
When you're checking to see if any programs are running, check under the "Processes" tab and not the "Applications" tab. You will see quite a few programs running in the background. Close all but the critical ones. You have to be careful if you stop any processes though, as they can make your computer run funny if you don't stop the right ones(and it will usually not let you close the critical ones, so you're safe there). Also, if you have a program like Norton Utilities, it will keep a constant update of what your computer looks like, and it saves that update, which could be why your hard drive keeps getting written to(it happened to me).

Peegee
07-08-2003, 07:50 PM
reboot in safe mode. Works every time.

DMKA
07-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone......I've solved my problem, so I guess someone can close this thread now....much thanks to those who helped.