PDA

View Full Version : Lil router problem

Miriamel
07-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Okay, so we've got a little network set up over here (I did most of it. *proud* Whee!), 2 computers share the internet connection. They connect to the net via a router & DSL modem.

The router (Edimax BR-6104) is crap anyway. D= I've always been unable for example to enable the webcam function of the Yahoo Messenger, despite opening the ports I'd need and also despite making my computer DMZ.

Didn't bother me THAT much. Of course, it's annoying, but.. yeah. Recently (after the last LAN IP change) though, it doesn't let me connect to Kazaa, WinMX, Yahoo Messenger and other stuffs AT ALL. And that really bugs me. I tried opening the ports, but it didn't work. Tried DMZ again too, but no change.

Any other ideas what I could try? =/

Citizen Bleys
07-08-2003, 03:04 PM
I ought to be able to answer that question in about 8 months ><

For now, though, the only thing I know about routers is the protocol they use on the 'net. (BGP. And I don't know how BGP works)

Flying Mullet
07-08-2003, 03:11 PM
For your programs like Kazaa, did you specify any specific proxy servers, ip addresses or anything of the sort to let it work through a firewall? If you did and those changed, you might have to update the program's settings.
Also, some programs don't like having two computers connected to them through one router and/or sharing an internet connection. For work we have a remote dialer that lets us connect to the network, hop on the VPN(Virtual Private Network) and such, but if you try to have two computers connect at the same time through a router, whichever one tries to connect second gets booted off. This seems to be a limitation of the software that we don't know how to get around right now.
I don't know if this is related to your problems, but it is a thought.

Miriamel
07-08-2003, 04:47 PM
No no, we've had the network for almost a year now, it worked fine - till about a week ago where Kazaa etc stopped working. :P

And nothing specified, nupe. It worked without any further work.

Thanks for your help, though.

Dr Unne
07-08-2003, 05:41 PM
If it just stopped working recently, you must've changed something. :) Maybe you should try reseting the settings on your router and setting everything up from scratch again, if you don't know what you changed. That's probably what I'd do. Easier than looking for problems for twelve hours.

Miriamel
07-08-2003, 06:28 PM
Haven't changed a single thing.. I only ever touch it when I try to open ports.

It assigned my computer a new IP randomly though, I suspect it's got to do with that..

Everything still works on the other computer.

Citizen Bleys
07-08-2003, 07:37 PM
DHCP does that; Every time you reboot, Windows looks for a DHCP server and requests an IP address from it.

I'm actually surprised I've had the same IP from Rogers as long as I have; they must have the DHCP server configured so that it recognizes my MAC address and assigns the same IP to it every time. If that's possible. *knows nothing about DHCP servers*

Most routers are DHCP servers--Check your manual and see if it's possible to manually assign an internal IP address from the router's control panel; If you've only got one computer behind the router, it doesn't matter WHAT your IP address is (even if it's a non-routable 10.* address), since that IP is only used behind the router; the internet sees your router's IP address.

(So basically, it's like a DHCP server and a proxy server all rolled together)

Also make sure your default gateway is pointing to your router's IP address, but if you're accessing the internet, it must be.

crono_logical
07-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Some ISPs give you a static IP with your account anyway, so it doesn't changed regardless of how often you reconnect, as is the case with the ADSL I have at home, and also for the 56k service we used to have before that :p

I have no idea what DMZ is :D

Flying Mullet
07-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by crono_logical
I have no idea what DMZ is :D

DeMilitarized Zone(geez, remember, from "Good Morning Vietnam") :p

Anyway, yeah, if you "just" gave your computer a new ip address, chances are that somewhere something is looking for the old address. Like Unne said, start from the beginning, but rather than redo everything, check all of your setups where the ip addresses could be in a systematic order.

Peegee
07-11-2003, 04:41 AM
New IP addy? Are you part of an internal network? Meaning...um...was the IP addy something like 192.168.x.x, and now it's something like 64.x.x.x or 24.x.x.x (or some other number combo)?

Methinks it might be that, but we're all just guessing here.