PDA

View Full Version : Energy Blast

stephenicehawks
07-10-2003, 02:18 AM
On my second time through the game I talked to a dog In Besaid and I got an overdrive called Energy Blast for Valefor I was wondering is it like that for every aeon

MecaKane
07-10-2003, 03:09 AM
I don't think so. It was just so valefor could get as strong as the other aeons, because it was the first one and couldn't do as much damage with the first overdrive.

Ultima Seraph
07-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Valefor's the only one. ^^

§håd0w
07-19-2003, 08:10 PM
valefor was at a great disadvantage than the other aeons. it was weak, had low magic, defense(both types), and had an hp under 800 (around 750 i think). so she needed the other overdrive. but what i wonder is... why is there a wind aeon, but no water aeon?

neeber
07-20-2003, 03:14 PM
Yeah, i kinda missed Leviathan.

But then again, having a huge waterliving snake/dragon fighting on dry land is prolly not a very good idea.

§håd0w
07-20-2003, 03:17 PM
yeah, u would summon it against seymour, and it would just flail on the ground, and then he'd just laff at u

nightmare sumire
07-30-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Ultima Seraph
Valefor's the only one. ^^

Maybe SOUARE left us an mystery to an hidden aeon .:D

Sin Harvest
08-05-2003, 05:21 AM
i think this point has been made in another thread, but valefor isnt a wind aeon, there is no wind element. as for levaithan they could have just had him rise out of the ground making a big pit of water where he resides or something.

§håd0w
08-05-2003, 02:31 PM
they could have also used siren, water/wind element... so booyah

Psychotic
08-05-2003, 06:14 PM
I've said all this before, but being that they made a big thing about how water fire thunder and ice were opposing elements, it would make sense if they had put Leviathan in the game as a water one, especially since it had been in every FF since summons were introduced.
On a similar note, the same thing applies to Odin, and I do think he should have been there instead of Yojimbo.

§håd0w
08-05-2003, 08:58 PM
I just dont think odin would have fit into FFX. besides they had ixion, it would seem odd if they had a horseman along a horse.

Sin Harvest
08-06-2003, 04:39 AM
and alexander, yuna can cast holy after all.
the main reason why i think that sqaure left alot of them out was because they wanted the aeons to be like characters that you can fight with and stuff, and level up as you go ect. not just like previous ff's where you get a summon, and just use him till the next one comes along thats more powerfull. in X your supposed to level them and use thier different attribbutes ect, that just why i think they cut down on the summons. that and it would have made yunas pilgramage alot longer, something which i would have been all for, X was too short :cry:

§håd0w
08-06-2003, 03:02 PM
and all the elements oppose, i dont recall there being a element to oppose holy (other than zombie which isnt an element) wind opposes itself right? so ud be hard pressed to beat belgemine's aeon if it were wind, since u can summon another wind aeon.

Zild
08-06-2003, 07:16 PM
I have for some time now tried to create an elemental system that has directly opposing elements, whilst maintaining a relatively small number of elements... I have yet to succeed... I have usually tried to base this on the western (fire, water, earth, air) system...

Fire vs. water seems the natural first choice - yet in FF10 this is not the case! Ice opposes fire...

Earth and air, however, do not oppose each other so much - they generally tend to stay out of each other's way...

The concenpt in FF10 of water and lightening being opposed is also somewhat confusing; water (or, more correctly, impurities within water) actually aids the conduction of lightening... Of course, there is also the fact that ice opposes fire, whilst water does not... very confusing!

Of course, this just uses the western elemental system. Try getting opposing elements with the Chinese system, with FIVE elements!

However, if we accept the FF10 system, there are still some... annoyances... We have Fire, Ice, Lightening and Water elements. All of these are represented by Aeons, except for water... Now, I haven't completed the game, but I'm pretty sure I know of all of the Aeons. Perhaps Sin itself could be considered the water Aeon? On a world which consists primarily of water, it seems only fair that the water-Aeon would be the most powerful...

Power corrupts.

I personally am a great fan of having opposing elements; I am a great fan of symettry (no matter how I spell that, it looks wrong!) I would have liked to have seen a water-element, if only for those damn thunder plains!

Valefor was not a wind elemental, as there was no wind element (nor even an air element! I believe thunder tis the closest they had...) Some people cited Valefor's weaknesses earlier, however, I found it to be rather strong... Not only could it use magic of all four elements from the start (unlike the other early Aeons), but it also had very quick attacks that slowed (the vast majority of) enemies down... The ability to attack relentlessly turn-after-turn should not be underestimated!

True, Valefor did have a lower HP, and true it could not cast an elemental magic upon itself in order to heal itself, however, it was also almost impossible for land-based enemies to hit it!

The Energy Blast overdrive is a bit strange, I must admit... you could argue that you do not get it until late, however, ths is not true! The first time I played FF10, I never found the Energy Blast (I did not complete it though...) But the second time, I found the Energy Blast as soon as I left Besaid!

Although Energy Blast is a lot stronger than Energy Ray, it should be noted that Valefor takes a little longer to recover from it (ie, his next turn appears after a slightly longer delay...) This has not yet proved critical in battle for me, but I'm sure one day it might!

In summary, Valefor is a great Aeon for certain uses, such as killing groups of small, diverse enemies whilst taking minimal damage. The other Aeons seem to be designed more for killing large enemies and bosses...

Still, it seemed very strange that there was no Leviathon!

Zild

§håd0w
08-08-2003, 09:22 PM
You make quite a few good points there. I haven't given it much thought until you pointed out everything about the elements.