PDA

View Full Version : KH Phonetics

Meow
07-10-2003, 03:39 AM
i never played a whole ton of Kingdom Hearts, but i put a good three or four hours into my roommate's copy last semester. And - perhaps this has been covered before, but i'm <gasp> new here - i always had a problem with one of the name pronunciations. Did anyone else feel thrown when the FF characters early in the game were pronouncing Yuffie "You-fee"? i've always thought that is was "yuh-fee," personally. After all, her name has two 'f's... :rolleyes2

Anyway, what does everyone think? Am i crazy? ...And has this been covered before?

Jalbrean
07-10-2003, 04:19 AM
No you're right. You are crazy. I always pronunced it "You-Fee" ;p

That's what having voice acting does to ya. You have to prounce things like the writers intended 'em.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-10-2003, 05:24 AM
Yeah, I always knew the right way to pronounce it. Basic matter of Japanese.

Miriel
07-10-2003, 07:55 AM
I always pronounced it You-fee. Yuh-fee just sounds weird.

Captain Planet
07-13-2003, 03:50 AM
everyone told me I was an idiot for pronouncing it
you-fie. but the fact remains, regardless, that yuh-fie is a really stupid name, wheras you-fie sounds kind of neat.

TheAbominatrix
07-13-2003, 03:57 AM
I always pronounced Yuffie correctly... the only things that threw me was the pronuciation of 'Tidus'. I always thought it was Tide-us, not Tee-dus. Everyone else was fine.

Meow
07-13-2003, 04:30 PM
'Tee-dus' surprised me, too.

All these damn Japanese games throwing off my usually respectable phonetic abilities... what's the world coming to? i should have signed up for that Japanese course this next semester... :rolleyes2

Sefie1999AD
07-13-2003, 05:32 PM
I always pronounced Yuffie "you-fee" and Tidus "tee-dus". *wins* :D

Shoyku
07-13-2003, 09:29 PM
I pronounce them "yuh-fee" and "tie-dus" and as far as I'm concerned, I'll keep calling them that.

Meow
07-14-2003, 02:33 AM
i'm glad at least someone out there isn't all 'well it's all just a simple matter of, y'know... knowing Japanese.' You're my new best friend!! Let us bask in our blissful ignorance.

ChibiInuYasha
07-14-2003, 10:19 AM
You call that ignorance?! I always pronounced Yuffie "tee-dus" and Tidus "you-fie" SO BEAT THAT!!!! :rock:

eternalshiva
08-02-2003, 04:32 AM
Err... that made no sense... Well, considering in FF VII Aeris was not spelled AERITH, I think there are some initial problems, such as the translators probably never looked at FFVII before they made that mistake *big blooper by SQUARE*

I always say "you-fie" but I always said TIE-DUS for Tidus, so I thought it was funny when Wakka was saying Tee-dous ;p

zacks_clone
08-03-2003, 10:31 PM
it was always 'yuh-fee' and 'tied-us'for me...intill Kingdom hearts!GAHHH!!!!!!!!YOU RUINED MY CREATIVENESS...Ness....nes....

Aya Nekoneko
08-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Meh. I knew it was Yuffie with the "you
." =D Read it in Japanese a while back because I too was torn between "YUH-FEE" and "YOU-FEE." Although the latter does sound better.

And I knew the correct pronunciation for "Tidus" as well. Strange but I never even considered it to be "TIDE-US." o.O; The Japanese pronunciation of his name is "TEE-DA" though. Now I think that that sounds a bit dumb. And "Rikku" is really pronounced "RYU-KOO" in Japanese. How weird is that? :p

eternalshiva
08-12-2003, 02:33 AM
It's japanese, it's weird in general... I say TIE-DUS cause I think it's because I am French-Canadian, we say weird things in General, especially in New Brunswick ;p heh

musashius
08-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Shoyku
I pronounce them "yuh-fee" and "tie-dus" and as far as I'm concerned, I'll keep calling them that.

Me too. Personally I'm not a tightass on how videogame characters' names should be pronounced. I'm wrong, so who cares? You're right but it's not like you're getting paid to be right.