PDA

View Full Version : Cait Sith

Meow
07-13-2003, 04:51 PM
Earlier this summer, when i finally played FF7 through to completion, i noticed something odd about Cait Sith. Through most of the game, he's a pretty well-spoken character. Noting special, but he knows how to talk; all of his words are intact (ending 'g's and all) and he has respectable grammar. And then, around the time that Cloud and crew come back to Rocket Town to go into space, his speech does a total 180. He starts talking with what we could suppose is a 'country twang': lopped off 'g's at the ends of participles, plenty of "ain't"s, and all sorts of other signs that his dialect has totally changed. Since Cait Sith is supposed to be under control of the same Shinra individual throughout the game, i really couldn't figure out what happened to him. Did anyone else notice this? Any thoughts?

Woo, this is like my third post about speech and grammar. i am so cool.

Zifnab
07-13-2003, 06:00 PM
From what I've read around here, the Japanese version of FF7 had Cait Sith using some sort of Japanese Dialect throughout the game. Later when Reeve is on the phone before you drop into Midgar, he accidently speaks in the same dialect as Cait Sith and that's where his cover is blown (hence why Scarlet says "Why are you speaking so strangely?"). I guess the country twang as you call it is simply the replacement dialect, thrown in towards the end.

Wightraven
07-13-2003, 10:24 PM
That's it exactly, actually.

Gregory
07-13-2003, 11:04 PM
Quite logical, considering Scarlet's suspicions. I never pay that close to Cait sith.

MJN SEIFER
07-14-2003, 08:52 PM
I think because Cait was the main link to the Shinra base (He'd let the others listen in on there meetings) He (Reeve) knew that he'd have to talk in the meetings so he started doing a difrent voice for Cait so n one would get suspicous and as Jenova Rebirth ponted out he eventrly blew the whole thing by mixing his to voices up!