PDA

View Full Version : This is what happens when I get bored and have a ROM hacker at my disposal.:aimangel:

The Man
07-14-2003, 03:07 AM
http://aaron.fools-gold.org/aaronff6hack.zip

Using a pair of ROM hackers (which I'll upload later if there's enough demand for them), I've started going through the game and completely editing stuff. I'm not trying to make a NEW game out of it, although I've completely changed the rules around.

There's no difficulty in the game whatsoever, at least not in terms of having any trouble defeating enemies. I partially made this so I could breeze through the game and get to whatever scene I wanted within a matter of ten hours or less (and I do have a number of save states). Illuminas, Atma Weapons, Ragnarok Swords - they're all available pretty much at the start of the game. And enemies give you tons of experience from the start, too, and characters have pretty much optimal stats even at level three. If you're looking for a challenging RPG, this is even less your game than the original FFVI was.

If you don't know the game in and out, though, this isn't for you. I've removed pretty much every barrier standing in your way to exploring the whole World of Balance, and if you don't know the game inside and out and follow the correct order of events, you'll be able to get yourself into situations you can't possibly win. I've done it. I tried to get Shadow on the Imperial continent and the series of events got all screwed because of it, so I couldn't win. There's places where if you go at the wrong time, the game will freeze. If you don't remember the sequence of events, you should definitely replay the original game to refresh your memory - if you don't, you'll probably end up wasting your time.

But the fun begins when you know FF6 like a book. I've started, at least, going through the script and changing stuff, elaborating on the character dialogue, returning a lot of the names to their original Japanese forms. I've used Sky Render's script as a basis for some of my elaboration, although I haven't directly ripped him off. I also used Lord Skylark's now deleted monster bestiary from FF Compendium, which listed the original Japanese translations of the games; the monsters' names, although often now heavily abbreviated, now reflect most of the original forms they were intended to take, and show us just how much Woolsey changed the game in translating it =P

I've also gone through and gotten rid of most of the battle music, so that you'll hear the background music continuously. The sole exception to this is really on the world map.

This is a very unfinished hack, and it's not meant to be perfect, but I'm posting it because I figured some of you, at least, will enjoy romping through the game and seeing what I've done with it. I'm posting this thread on several message boards, but I'm most likely to check it constantly on my own one; you can find the version of the thread on that board here (http://forums.fools-gold.org/showthread.php?threadid=3916). Enjoy.

MJN SEIFER
09-20-2003, 10:21 PM
It's wth reviveing to say...WELL DONE!! I SUX AT THAT GAME}so thnks!!

Note: A mistake here Ya Know When Terra Uses Magic and Edgar Rects well he Reacted when LOCKE did e magig!??!!?

The Man
09-21-2003, 06:16 AM
yeah, that's damned amusing ;D there's a lot of amusing things you can get in this version of the game, which is part of the reason I posted it up ;D