PDA

View Full Version : Cids Knight

Max
07-14-2003, 07:33 PM
I have been here for at least 2 months now.But I dont get how to become cids knight could someone please tell me.

Flying Mullet
07-14-2003, 07:44 PM
http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=3#mods

Basically the site staff decides if someone should be a Cid's Knight, just like Big D just became one.

crono_logical
07-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Cid's Knights are basically what would be super moderators at other forums - they have the same extra priviledges and tasks to do as what super moderators at other places would do. When we decide we need more of them to help look after the forums, we get in touch with whoever we think would make good candidates from what they're like on the forums and give them the choice, not ask openly to the whole board who would like to be one :p

Max
07-14-2003, 07:50 PM
Yea thnx I'll try to be as helpful as I can but it must be hard cause Big D has been helping people for a while!

The Man
07-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Just a word of advice from one who's walked that path before: Trying to become a Knight is probably the surest way to ensure that you'll fail. ;)

Um... yeah. You probably don't really want to be a Knight... there's a hell of a lot more drama involved in working on a message board staff than you can imagine. Trust me, I've been staff at three different still-extant message boards before :P

Max
07-14-2003, 08:00 PM
im still gonna try:aimdumb:

The Man
07-14-2003, 08:03 PM
Then good freakin' luck.

You're gonna need it.

Max
07-14-2003, 08:04 PM
well thnx i guess:hat:

Shoyku
07-14-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Flying Mullet
Basically the site staff decides if someone should be a Cid's Knight, just like Big D just became one.
The site staff don't make the decision, they're only people who have contributed to the main pages of EoFF, and only have titles, and no direct power on the board.

Flying Mullet
07-14-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Shoyku
The site staff don't make the decision, they're only people who have contributed to the main pages of EoFF, and only have titles, and no direct power on the board.

Sorry, I meant site staff as a general term, not the actual title "Site Staff".

crono_logical
07-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Forum staff then, since some of us don't have anything to do with the front site :p

Flying Mullet
07-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by crono_logical
Forum staff then, since some of us don't have anything to do with the front site :p
Oy, I give up!

Yamaneko
07-15-2003, 12:25 AM
I'm betting it's more work than they let on.

Endless
07-15-2003, 12:31 AM
Yes and no, it sort of goes by waves.

Big Ogre Umaro
07-15-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by The Man
Um... yeah. You probably don't really want to be a Knight... there's a hell of a lot more drama involved in working on a message board staff than you can imagine. Although usually it's caused directly by me.fixed

Citizen Bleys
07-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Linus has been here two years and he's not a Knight. Of course, I think he would probably impale me with a harpoon if I asked him to be one, but that's a whole different story.

And yeah, Knighthood is definitely on a "don't call us, we'll call you" basis. The decision's made by the entire staff (So there's no one person you can kiss up to, and over half of the staff will dislike you for kissing up to them anyways), usually based on a member's personality; You can train a monkey to open or close threads, it's the person who makes a good or bad moderator.

I can also confirm what The Man said. He missed out becoming a Knight by one vote, but someone leaked that to him and he's been trying to run the board for us ever since, so now I don't think he'd get a single vote if someone nominated him for Knight ;)

The Man
07-15-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by BOU
fixed omgg u dye nwo *stabstab*

Hell, Linus has been here longer than two years, no? He was ancient when I showed up, and I've been here for sixteen months. xP

Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
I can also confirm what The Man said. He missed out becoming a Knight by one vote, but someone leaked that to him and he's been trying to run the board for us ever since, so now I don't think he'd get a single vote if someone nominated him for Knight ;) It was more than one someone. It was practically half the entire staff. ;) And I've never recovered from it, I don't think. ;)

The moral of this story: Don't tell people what the staff is saying about them (at least if it's good) ;)

Peegee
07-15-2003, 05:56 PM
There's a very good rule that we follow in another forum:

If you ask, you don't get. Ever.

m4tt
07-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Pureghetto
There's a very good rule that we follow in another forum:

If you ask, you don't get. Ever.

That's what I think. :p

Although before I was knighted, I would ask to be one. But only jokingly. I never expected to become one. :p

Citizen Bleys
07-15-2003, 07:58 PM
omgg u dye nwo *stabstab*

Hell, Linus has been here longer than two years, no? He was <I>ancient</I> when I showed up, and I've been here for sixteen months. xP

It was more than one someone. It was practically half the entire staff. ;) And I've never recovered from it, I don't think. ;)

The moral of this story: <I>Don't tell people what the staff is saying about them</I> (at least if it's good) ;)

Actually, it was balanced right out; The decision to Knight you had been made, and then another staffer took me aside for a private little talk and told me something that worried me rather a lot, so I changed my vote, and at that point, one vote was enough to reverse the decision. The staff was split right down the middle.

I don't think we've EVER had as hot a discussion about whether or not to mod anyone before or after. Usually everybody either agrees or everybody shoots the mod down. (Well, I guess there was BoB, there was a lot of discussion there, and he actually wasn't Knighted until quite a while after that big discussion. but still...)

The Man
07-15-2003, 08:00 PM
I really wish I could have seen the staff discussion about that. Heh.

In any case, if I'd been informed of what happened WHEN it happened, instead of going on carrying on the illusion that I was "about to be knighted" for four months, I think an awful lot of drama would've been averted, but it's all water under the bridge. Still, I think it'd be awful cool to see "Cid's Knight" under my name, but eh, whatyagonnado. I don't post here often enough to make a good mod anymore anyway, and it certainly wasn't nearly as fun for me modding at FFWA as I'd imagined it would be, so whatever =P I have to say, I do enjoy running my own board though ;)

Raistlin
07-15-2003, 09:35 PM
I don't think we've EVER had as hot a discussion about whether or not to mod anyone before or after. Usually everybody either agrees or everybody shoots the mod down.

As opposed to when Britt made a thread about me possibly becoming a mod again oh...maybe a 10 or so months ago, I believe(maybe more, I forget), and one person said, "eh, we'll see" and then it died. :o

The Man
07-15-2003, 09:39 PM
heck, I'm surprised they didn't re-Knight you whenever you came back, but that's just me.

You still have "Cid's Knight" under your name, though, you sod ;)

Raistlin
07-15-2003, 09:43 PM
That was Britt's idea of a joke.

EDIT: oh, and they didn't reknight me because I'll just go away again in a few months out of sheer irritation at this place, which would probably only be sped up by having access to the Staff forum. >=P

-N-
07-15-2003, 09:49 PM
A rare inside glimpse of the tumultuous decisions of the EoFF staff. Come get your share now <A HREF="http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36181">here.</A>

The Man
07-15-2003, 10:01 PM
haha, I think every forum's staff has a hell of a lot more drama involved in it than the public sees. I know ours does. xD

Raistlin
07-15-2003, 10:05 PM
It does? *looks* I can't find it. I see only Proto going after Div's sister.

The Man
07-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Eh, I suppose it hasn't really, lately. There was all that crap with Devolution and Apocalypse Weapon awhile back, though, and there was a lot of stuff that never actually made it onto the message board, but wound up being a problem between members for awhile until it was actually resolved. There's a lot that goes on that even the staff doesn't see, I think. xP

Edit: Oh, and most of the recent drama that DID make it onto the board was in the admin forum, which would explain why you can't find it. ;)

Raistlin
07-16-2003, 01:23 AM
I was joking, Aaron. *pat pat* :D

The Man
07-16-2003, 01:27 AM
ok, good, I wasn't entirely sure you were sane, but I didn't want to say anything ;)

Citizen Bleys
07-16-2003, 02:00 AM
I really wish I could have seen the staff discussion about that. Heh.

In any case, if I'd been informed of what happened WHEN it happened, instead of going on carrying on the illusion that I was "about to be knighted" for four months, I think an awful lot of drama would've been averted, but it's all water under the bridge. Still, I think it'd be awful cool to see "Cid's Knight" under my name, but eh, whatyagonnado. I don't post here often enough to make a good mod anymore anyway, and it certainly wasn't nearly as fun for me modding at FFWA as I'd imagined it would be, so whatever =P I have to say, I do enjoy running my own board though ;)

So put it under your name at FG and turn on the EoFF theme :)

RSL
07-16-2003, 03:38 AM
The only reason I ever became a Cid's Knight was becasue I registered on the first day and Cid was basically giving out moderator positions to the first people that asked for them.

Raistlin
07-16-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by RSL
The only reason I ever became a Cid's Knight was becasue I registered on the first day and Cid was basically giving out moderator positions to the first people that asked for them.

Ditto.

Citizen Bleys
07-16-2003, 06:00 AM
Blast it, RSL, you shouldn't kill the glamour of being an EoFF legend like that.

Big Ogre Umaro
07-16-2003, 06:10 AM
this thread is awesome

Citizen Bleys
07-16-2003, 06:17 AM
hai hai

Loony BoB
07-16-2003, 12:04 PM
(Well, I guess there was BoB, there was a lot of discussion there, and he actually wasn't Knighted until quite a while after that big discussion. but still...)
*pouts* That's what you get for listening to incorrect information instead of actually asking.

And regarding The Man stuff, geez, nobody should ever be knighted if even quarter of Staff disagree, last time I checked. So I think he wouldn't've made it anyways =O I don't get that big thing though. Oh well. Dramas? I'm so happy that 95% of the things that go on in Staff are basically just all of us saying "Gee, what would The Man do? Let's not do that." "Yeah."

Citizen Bleys
07-16-2003, 02:33 PM
95%? That happened ONCE. And it was funny. I can't even remember what pr00t suggested, and BOU said "OMG GET THE MAN OUT OF THE STAFF FORUM"

Loony BoB
07-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Basically being the operative word >=O

Raistlin
07-16-2003, 05:46 PM
95%? That happened ONCE. And it was funny. I can't even remember what pr00t suggested, and BOU said "OMG GET THE MAN OUT OF THE STAFF FORUM"

That's freakin' hilarious. :D

m4tt
07-16-2003, 05:50 PM
BOU is comedy.

The Man
07-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by BOU
this thread is awesome for once, BOU and I agree ;)

haha, I'm associated with drama in staff these days? haha, I never WANTED to cause any of that, it amuses me to no end that I wound up screwing things up so much XD

RSL
07-17-2003, 04:10 AM
Blast it, RSL, you shouldn't kill the glamour of being an EoFF legend like that.

I was unaware of any glamour.

-N-
07-17-2003, 04:37 AM
*updates link to <A HREF="http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36181&perpage=30&pagenumber=2">An Inside Glimpse of the EoFF Staff</A>* :D

Max
07-17-2003, 08:12 PM
I like BOU's Avatar.:greenie:

crono_logical
07-17-2003, 09:47 PM
I think this thread has died :p