PDA

View Full Version : CD drive speed, and a question about image tags

Peegee
07-15-2003, 05:52 PM
First, the more important question. My CD-ROM drive says 52x24x52x, but it burns at 32x. Okay, so maybe I got a defective product, but....

I copy cds at 700-1000 kbps(KB/s?). What's the deal with that? I ran nero drive speed, and it detected the drive at 40x. It's supposed to be 7000KB/s.

so...what's wrong with my cd drive?

also, for image tags, how do I put that mouse-over text message that typically works when I use the alt="whatever" with html code. How does it work with forum image tags?

Flying Mullet
07-15-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Pureghetto
also, for image tags, how do I put that mouse-over text message that typically works when I use the alt="whatever" with html code. How does it work with forum image tags?

In a round-about answer to this question, why not use html for your images on the forums? I always use the "img" html tag on the boards.

Peegee
07-15-2003, 06:20 PM
yay, it worked great *thanks*. Now, for the CDrom speed problem....*waits*

Endless
07-15-2003, 06:35 PM
What brand? (I know why if it's the brand that I think)

Peegee
07-15-2003, 07:05 PM
I have no idea :( there's no brand name tag on the front, and 'my computer' doesn't list a brand name (says HL-DL-ST CD-RW GCE-8520B)

Endless
07-15-2003, 08:25 PM
It's a LG. (<a href="http://us.lgservice.com/jsp/common/download.jsp?DOC_ID=KROWM000032123&FILE_NAME=KROWM000032123.pdf&ORIGINAL_NAME_b1_a1=GCE-8520B-1040G-ENG.pdf&FILE_GUBUN=I">Drive manual</a>).

From what I could see on their site and from my knowledge of cd-burners:

- Check to see if your drive has dma enabled (right click on "my computer"> devices > device manager then find your drive and click properties and check if dma is enabled.
- Check to see that the media you're trying to use can withstand that speed.
- Check that your software has support for that speed.

Ø
07-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Okay... if your drive is 52x, that means the maximum possible data transfer rate is 52 times faster than that for realtime audio (which is about 650Kb/sec) with spindle speeds of about 12,000rpm. When they decide on that 52x24x52x stuff, that's done in a lab where they run the drive flat-out until it dies to find out what it's capable of before they can sell it :)

But you'll almost NEVAAAAR get it to actually run that fast in your computer. The only time it comes close is when installing ma-hoosive programs from CDs, and don't forget you're also limited by how fast the system can process the data to and from the drive - if it can't keep up you'll have problems. As Master Vivi said, enabling DMA is a good idea - as it's name suggests, it allows the drive to directly stuff information into the memory. This frees up more CPU access time for the rest of the system :)

If you can reliably copy CDs at 32x, I wouldn't complain :) that's pretty good. I don't think there's anything wrong with your drive at all. The problem could be that Nero is a pile of wank, I've seen a lot of people have trouble with it... if you need anything better, I may have something useful for you.

crono_logical
07-17-2003, 11:39 AM
1x audio is approximately 150 k/s, actually :p

I also rarely burn above 8x myself, sine I like my PC to remain responsive whilst burning :p

Peegee
07-17-2003, 12:49 PM
All taken into consideration, though I still transfer at (taking clout's figure) approximately 10x, while I can get 32x on my dvdrom

*shrug* so what I do now is transfer from dvdrom :D