PDA

View Full Version : virtual hard drive?

BorIzEE27
07-17-2003, 05:06 AM
has anybody heard about this? my friend said u could save games here so u dont need the cds to play them. is this true and where can i d/l this?

Ø
07-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Don't suppose you've tried blamming "Virtual Hard Drive" in google and seeing what comes up? :)

I haven't heard of it myself, but to be honest it would probably be a lot less hassle (and use up less disk space) to just do a full install of the game and use a no-CD patch. They are available for most games and usually very small/quick to dl.

crono_logical
07-17-2003, 11:35 AM
It's a virtual CD drive, not HD, that you want for that sort of stuff :p

I'd recommend Daemon tools myself, although you need something like CDRWIN or CloneCD or BlindWrite to rip the CDs to the HD in the first place. Basically they create a file containing an image of the CD, then you load the CD image file into Daemon tools and it appears as a virtual CD drive on your computer, only at HD speeds, so works nice on loading times for game :p

BorIzEE27
07-17-2003, 07:33 PM
ops... its virtual drive. have any of u heard of this

ZeZipster
07-17-2003, 10:17 PM
I have Daemon Tools and use it all the time for some of my games. What chrono_logical said. You need to create a .iso file of the CD and then tell daemon tools to mount the image as a CD-rom drive.

www.daemon-tools.com should be their website.

DreamThtr
07-28-2003, 09:42 AM
I use nero imagedrive and it works great, but you loose HD space quickly cause you keep all the iso's in your HD.

Peegee
07-30-2003, 06:24 AM
Well, a cd is ~650-800MB (or 900MB if you buy those special ones), so you have to consider whether you want to have an iso in your computer just to play games.

If you need a cd ripping program, I have winISO on a ftp somewhere. Just ask me for the info.

Bulldog
07-31-2003, 09:27 AM
Of course, newer games are protected against piracy, so you'll need to fix that problem somehow.
Some game companies don't even want you to make copies of your own legally bought games, so you'll have to check if you're allowed to do so.

Endless
07-31-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by ZeZipster
I have Daemon Tools and use it all the time for some of my games. What chrono_logical said. You need to create a .iso file of the CD and then tell daemon tools to mount the image as a CD-rom drive.

www.daemon-tools.com should be their website.

It changed about two months ago. It's at <a href="http://www.daemon-tools.cc/portal/portal.php">www.daemon-tools.cc</a> now.