PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Trigger - Epic tale of adventure, or PSYCHOSEXUAL?

Dr. Disco
07-17-2003, 06:33 AM
Hello there. I haven't been here in ages, but tonight I was discussing CT with my friend via AIM, and we got into the topic of sex. Now, I don't mean this in a juvenile, "LOL sex0rz" way, but I think that there are some underlying emotional/sexual points to the plot that can be considered. And if you think this is pathetic or weird, well, I'll just point you to the seven thousand debates about how slutty Tifa/Aeris were in FFVII.

Let's begin.

The most obvious relationship in this game is Crono and Marle, and there is nothing odd about it. Two teenagers who know they're in love, but try to sort of hide it awkwardly.

Next, we have Lucca. Lucca is the cliche secretly-in-love best friend, as seen in Not Another Teen Movie. She is so sexually and emotionally frustrated it hurts.

Speaking of Lucca, her parents. I think her mom is both sexually and emotionally neglected by her father, hence complaining about how he "only cares about his toys". But then again, sexual interaction with a cripple might be a bit awkward and uncomfortable, especially since they have so many communication issues already.

Frog's is so obvious it's actual shown in the game. He and the queen have a mutual attraction, but it's one of those forbidden love type deals. Not only because he's a weird frog creature, but because she is the queen. Hell, one of the endings indicates that they desire eachother.

Ayla was sexually attracted to Crono, but still remained loyal to Kino. She also wore the pants in this relationship. Of course, if I were Kino, and getting rough, crazy cavegirl action, I wouldn't complain.

Robo...had some sort of strange "I have feelings! I'm a real boy!" love relationship with Atropos, but did serve Lucca. And did he aid her in her times of unbearable sexual repression? Quite possibly.

This one may be a long shot, but Dalton is an incompetent, arrogant asshole. How did he gain such a high rank? I predict he was sleeping with, or had slept with, Queen Zeal. I could easily see it as a part of their boss/underling relationship.

The Kingdom of Zeal itself seemed especially extravagant and decadent, like a society with nothing to do but enjoy life and have pleasure in any way possible. Roman-era orgies and other sexual activity wouldn't seem too far-fetched

Err...Flea was a transvestite bisexual. Yeah.

And then there's Magus. Magus is the biggest enigma of all. He never showed any interest towards women or men, but I think he just might've been gay, or at least bisexual. Not only that, but possibly a victim of child molestation. He was raised by grotesque, evil monsters for most of his life, and who knows what kind of things they might do to a ten-year-old? Hell, just living in that kind of condition could damage you so psychologically. For some reason I can see he and Flea having a strange physical relationship, with little else between them, though.

Well, what do you guys think? Is there any other possible things of a strange emotional/sexual behavior I might've missed?

MASA
07-17-2003, 06:45 AM
(oO))!

Magus ??? Homosexual ???? ...He have a good realation with his sister but hes not gay wath are u ****in Taslkin about

Dr. Disco
07-17-2003, 06:49 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure about Magus. It just seems like he's homosexual, or really so indifferent to love that it doesn't matter who he's :skull::skull::skull::skull:ing.

*shrug*

MASA
07-17-2003, 08:09 AM
hes not homosexual....He is nothin....he love anybody...he dont have firend cuz ihe dont want to be attached and lose it...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-17-2003, 08:42 AM
Everything you said is so true, man. It's basically all the stuff I've always thought, and the few things that I've never considered before--Dalton and Magus, mainly--all make perfect sense.

Please stay around forever. You and I are spirits of the kindred variety and oh I could be so good to you g'night.

Dr. Disco
07-17-2003, 04:31 PM
*sniff* You...you really mean it?

MASA
07-17-2003, 06:17 PM
yea that have sense but i dont think that all peeps care aout this...me i dont care..but if its your way to see the game...bring it on !

Wightraven
07-17-2003, 10:20 PM
Err...Flea was a transvestite bisexual. Yeah.

*chuckles* Duh. And that's why Flea was good.

Your stuff about Magus is a bit dodgy... can't say I agree entirely... but everything else makes oh-so-much sense.

Magus is one of two ways in my mind. He is either...

A) Not concerned with sex, as there are more important things in life than mere pleasures of the flesh.

... or...

B) In a sexual relationship with his sister. Sounds strange, but the brother-sister bond is RARELY that strong because of blood alone. YES, she was his constant and ONLY companion besides Alfador through his formative years, but in a place such as Zeal, who's to say it WASN'T that way, eh?

Just my opinions, of course.

Super Christ
07-17-2003, 11:19 PM
I'm guessing there was nothing sexual between Magus and his sister, because I think he was maybe six or seven at the time. I think it was a stronger than normal bond because Schala ended up being more of a mother to Janus than Queen Zeal was. I think that he is not concerned with sex, as there are more important things in life than the mere pleasures of the flesh.

As far as Dalton goes, I'm not sure he's as incompetent as you make him out to be. The only mistake he made, as I see it, is that he sent the Golem Twins after you in the Ocean Palace and not skipping straight to the Golem Boss; the really smart thing for him to do would have been, upon his weakest minion's failure, to then send his strongest. However, if he really is as incompetent as you make him out to be, then your explanation on how he got his job is the best explanation.

Finally, I refuse to even imagine that there was anything even remotely sexual between Lucca and Robo. Just . . . no.

Everything else you postulated, however, seems directly on the mark to me.

MASA
07-18-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by MASA
yea that have sense but i dont think that all peeps care aout this...me i dont care..but if its your way to see the game...bring it on !

Nah not with alfador lol

Dr. Disco
07-18-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Super Christ
As far as Dalton goes, I'm not sure he's as incompetent as you make him out to be. The only mistake he made, as I see it, is that he sent the Golem Twins after you in the Ocean Palace and not skipping straight to the Golem Boss; the really smart thing for him to do would have been, upon his weakest minion's failure, to then send his strongest. However, if he really is as incompetent as you make him out to be, then your explanation on how he got his job is the best explanation.

Maybe he was clever or smart, but really more arrogant than anything. And did he stay to watch them be defeated? I don't think so...I think he assumed they would do them. Which is logical, since unless you're wearing elemental armor, they rape you, hard. At least they did when I was playing through the first time.

And he really just seemed like a guy who is in a very high position and knows he shouldn't be, because he's really not qualified, but he doesn't want everyone else to know this. And only the Queen seems to tolerate him really, so I assume she played a rather large part in him getting where he was.

Finally, I refuse to even imagine that there was anything even remotely sexual between Lucca and Robo. Just . . . no.

Well, we can all agree how sexually frustrated Lucca was. And since her entire life has been devoted to machines, I doubt she would be really weirded out by it. And Robo did pretty much say he would do anything to serve her. Think about it!

playaGAW
07-18-2003, 09:38 AM
What makes you think Ozzie and the mystics(demi-humans) were rapists he obviosly had kids.

Dr. Disco
07-18-2003, 06:41 PM
Yeah, that's true. But I wasn't really thinking about Ozzie. I was talking about the more :skull::skull::skull::skull:ed-up monsters you meet, mostly in Magus' castle. The soul-stealing cryptic psychotics. And I doubt Magus was uber-powerful enough as a child to rule over them all like he did when you first meet him. But then again, maybe since he was a rather odd human child with magic abilities, and he vowed to get revenge on humanity, he was revered as some sort of prophet or god or something. I don't recall if it ever said how the monster reacted when Magus was living/being raised around them.

Although now that I think about it, the fact that Ozzie actually had a wife or lover or what-have-you to bear his child is disturbing in itself. I mean, he's so fat he can't even WALK.

And don't ask me why, but I always saw some sort of physical relationship between Flea and Magus. There really is no viable connection to support this, but it just seems like Flea, with his "magic is beautiful" thing, would be attracted to Magus, and try with his feminine wiles (that sounds weird when I say it out loud) to seduce him. Whether it worked or not might be up in the air. I mean, Magus may be pretty emotionally dead to everyone but Schala (I don't think he had a sexual relationship with her. As pointed out, he was like ten at the time, and Schala is one of the less-deranged Chrono Trigger main characters, and I doubt she would partake in something so perverse) but I think he might have sex if the opportunity presented itself. He does seem to enjoy life when he can (making sarcastic comments, enjoying tormenting others somewhat) and since Flea was probably one of the ones who had raised him (and we know how weird HE is) he probably grew up thinking that homosexuality wasn't any better or worse than heterosexuality. And since Zeal was so completely decadent, he probably saw a lot of that before getting cast into 600 AD as well.

Err, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Magus
07-18-2003, 07:02 PM
well ... iono homosexual ? even tho flea was a guy at the start, he does have boobs & who knoes if he did go all the way & throw away his P****(um am i suppose 2 censor that ? is it considered as a swear ?) & switch completely into a girl. beside that yeah i do agree that there coulod have been somethin between Magus & Flea.

Dr. Disco
07-18-2003, 08:54 PM
I doubt she would consider herself 'male' if she had a vagina, chief.

MASA
07-19-2003, 12:46 AM
Why ar we talkinm about this...is a game...just a :skull::skull::skull::skull:in game...and flea are a man...he say it before u battle em !

Magus
07-19-2003, 03:36 AM
Why ar we talkinm about this...is a game...just a :skull::skull::skull::skull:in game...and flea are a man...he say it before u battle em !

i think we all kno that, that was one of the big punch of the game ...

& btw Dr. Disco Nice Avatar lol

MASA
07-19-2003, 03:51 AM
lol

its not the punch

we dont say
<
WHAATTTTTT FLEA..A BOY OMG OMG OMG WHAT A FRICKEN SUPER GAME !!! OMG a OY

well u know what i mean ?

Magus
07-19-2003, 04:40 AM
lol

its not the punch

we dont say
<

well u know what i mean ?

i did :rolleyes2

Dr. Disco
07-19-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by MaGuS
& btw Dr. Disco Nice Avatar lol

Thanks. I was pretty bored today.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
07-19-2003, 11:29 AM
MASA: we dont say <

MaGuS: ...

i did :rolleyes2

I laughed for a few Minutes then i said the same thing.......

Emotional response is what makes a game great and Crono Trigger had quit a bit of humor......Id say it contributed to its popularity a LOT!!!

MASA
07-20-2003, 04:48 AM
Me i said

Oh...lol...idiot....well lets kill em !!!

The Big punch of the game its when u kill ozzie for the seconde time...witht he cat lol

scottwardADD
07-22-2003, 09:52 PM
Just because Magus didnt show emotion for anyone doesnt mean he's gay. That assumption is pretty pessimistic and naive.

Dr. Disco
07-23-2003, 05:52 PM
It's really based more on the environments he was exposed to as a child.

And really, the leather cock-piece isn't helping.

m4tt
07-25-2003, 09:57 PM
You guys are so lucky that the grammar nazis haven't been down here.

Strider
07-26-2003, 03:24 AM
*beats everyone that has bad grammar in this thread with a nightstick*

Thanks for the lead, Matt. ;)

On a side note, wow. *applauds*

Wightraven
07-26-2003, 03:31 AM
*wasn't beaten* Huzzah!

Outsider
08-05-2003, 08:05 PM
...Not everything is about sex you know...

I believe that Magus is not sexual at all... Like, he's dead inside, and the only things he cares about is to lay his revenge upon Lavos and to find Schala (who is the only good memory of his childhood)

Lucca/Robo would be something really strange... I guess

And please, let's not discuss Flea and HIS feminine side no more... What a twisted thing to talk about anyway... LOL