PDA

View Full Version : ff7 and direct 3d

BorIzEE27
07-17-2003, 08:34 PM
is there anyway to run ff7 in direct 3d

SOLDIER #819
07-17-2003, 10:48 PM
In Direct 3D? I was under the impression that Direct 3D was a driver, and not an actual program. But I'm not too familiar with DirectX/3D products...So I'm not absoutely sure, haha.

But, if I remember correctly, when you install Final Fantasy VII (If this is the version you are referring to, and not emulating it on your computer.), it tells you that Direct3D is an optional driver that you can use with Final Fantasy VII (It has a most likely outdated version on the disk, too.). Unlike Direct3D though, I'm almost positive that DirectX is a required driver.

So...If I understand what you're saying...Yes, you can implement Final Fantasy VII with Direct3D, but no, it isn't required, like DirectX is.

...Or are you talking about some program I am unaware of? I apologize if I am.

BorIzEE27
07-19-2003, 02:55 AM
um direct 3d is something you run ff7 in, like software rendering.i know ff8 supports this....

Meow
07-19-2003, 04:13 AM
Yeah, Direct3D is a type of rendering, like Glide or OpenGL (both of which are very similar to each other).

Well, the major problem i ran into when i last tried to run FF7 on my computer was that the game, being old, requires a rather outdated type of texture-rendering. "8 bit" comes to mind, but i'm not sure that's right. Anyway, the specifics don't matter. Does the game run at all, or does it crash at startup?

Also, the card i ran it on was definitely D3D, so it's not impossible. It's just that you're stuffing an 'old' square peg into a 'new' round hole; it ran for me, but was hardly playable.

SOLDIER #819
07-19-2003, 05:23 AM
I stand corrected. When I said Direct3D, I made a mistake. It's actually DirectShow which is optional.

But, I don't think you can run it in Direct3D (Or, you can, but I don't think it would have any effect.). =\ Direct3D is a "software rendering" program, which is what I meant when I said driver, because that is the...Uh...Term I use, haha. If I remember correctly, I know of an online game which utilizes Direct3D, called Dransik. The game is not "3D", but instead, utilizes Direct3D to render sprites, etc. to make it look 3D, allowing even the "slowest" computers to play it. And although Final Fantasy VII (PC) does not require a 3D accelerator type graphics card, the manual states...

"======================
1. System Requirements
======================
Final Fantasy VII has the following minimum system requirements:
Pentium 133 w/ supported 3D accelerator card (4Mb video memory or greater)
or P166 w/out supported 3D accelerator card (see below)
Intel or 100% Intel-compatible CPU
32 Mb RAM
4x CD-ROM drive
Windows 95
DirectX 5.1 (included on Installation CD)
DirectMedia 5.2 (included on Installation CD)"

But like I said before, you could probably use Direct3D, but I doubt it'd have an effect. But that's just my opinion.