PDA

View Full Version : FFVIII in the PC - Resolution problem?

Crystals
07-18-2003, 01:18 AM
Greetings

This is my first post in the forum, and perhaps a useless one, for I do not know if this is an issue.
I have purchased FFVIII today, and seem to be a issue with it.. It goes like this, I have the following computer:

Pentium 4 2000mhz
756 DDR Ram
Gforce 4 ti4200 with latest drivers and DirectX 9.0
C-MEdia Device Onboard Sound Card ( it sucks, I know )
Windows Xp Profissional Edition

The problem is, the game has these really crappy graphics, I mean really crappy. The only resolution that I have access with is 640x480 and I remeber very well a friend of mine having the game in his computer and playing with soem really good graphics. The full motion videos are pixelized. In game, the carachters are pixelized, A LOT, and have weird vertices and scaled textures.
But here is a twist. I also have Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness and it bares some problems too, with the weird textures ( nto the game bugs, the textures really ) and the strange pixelization in the FMV, and both games are from Eidos ... dont really know if it has a relation, just seemed strange. Back to the point now ...
My question is: Is it possible to change the resolution off FFVIII, or is it the game just like that? I've installed the Gforce patch, and it just keeps teh same. I onyl have access to the 640x480 resolution. I also read something in teh read me about the lines of the textures starting from the top left corner, which I didnt understand.

Thank you all for reading, hope you can help me.

Miriamel
07-18-2003, 01:24 AM
I only played FF VIII for the computer with Windows ME, where it worked quite well. I'm not sure if it works with XP without having to deal with little problems such as a crappy resolution. =/ I don't have the game anymore, otherwise I'd test it.

Peegee
07-18-2003, 10:58 PM
*pulls out ePSXe*

maybe you need plugins. These are the ones I have, and FF8 works (though is crappy)

Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.72
External SPU Plugin 1.41
Pete's CDR ASPI/IOCTL Driver 1.10

Peegee
07-18-2003, 10:59 PM
another screenshot

Peegee
07-18-2003, 10:59 PM
final screenshot (sorry for triple posting)

Crystals
07-19-2003, 12:22 AM
Sorry for my ignorance, but those plug-ins are for windows or to a PSX-Emulator?

Cause I have the PC version of the game ... anmd wouldnt want to buy another one for psx.

Sorry for anything :)

crono_logical
07-19-2003, 01:11 AM
PSX emulator, so kinda won't work for you :p

Crystals
07-19-2003, 01:38 AM
Tougth so ...

IS it because of Windows Xp? Of the directX version?

IS the FFVIII Config supposed to identify my graphics board? Cause it doenst ...

Miriamel
07-21-2003, 07:52 PM
It should not have to do with the DirectX version, but I don't know about the graphics board. I kinda tend to think it's Windows XP though - try the '95/'98 compatibility mode, maybe that'll do the trick.

DreamThtr
07-28-2003, 09:36 AM
I asked the same thing for ffviii pc, and the only thing you can do the increase the visual quality is to turn on AntiAlias and Anistropic Filtering.

And about your problem, try searching for newer drivers for your videocard, I think there is a patch for final fantasy 8 and geForce cards.

Also what version of directx do you have?

I am playing FFVIII PC with no problems on:
Win XP Pro sp1
Radeon 9700Pro
Pentium 4 3.06ghz HT.
512 ddr400 mhz
DirectX 9.0b
Catalyst 3.5 (Drivers for the radeon).

Crystals
08-03-2003, 09:22 PM
I have Directx 9.0, and the latest drivers for my Gforce 4 Ti42000 ...

DreamThtr
08-03-2003, 10:34 PM
Have you tried the patch for ffVIII and nvidia geforce cards?