PDA

View Full Version : Best Final Fantasy Opening (Possibly slight spoilers...)

Zild
07-18-2003, 05:29 PM
I'm talking about the VERY beginning of the game, up until the first few minutes of player control...

I only know about VII,VIII,IX,X and X-2, but I can't decide...

VII started right into the game. I still go back and play the first 30 minutes or so almost just for the music...

But VIII... when I saw that on the screens in Electronics Boutique (now Game) I knew instantly that it must be FFVIII... Something about the sparks and the scars, the images are burned into my mind...

IX I can't even remember, can't have been that great!

X started with a little bit of pointless running around where you couldn't actually do anything. I think if they cut that out and skipped straight to the Blitzball, it would be a worthy contender at the very least.

X-2 - hmm, I should probably check again before I say anything about this one, but I don't think it could ever rival the others...

Oh - as for endings (IMMINENT SPOILER)...

Was it just me, or did ou fail to stop the meteor at the end of VII?! I was a bit confused about completing a game without winning!

Zild

Misfit
07-18-2003, 06:04 PM
I loved FFVIII's opening. It was so neat watching Squall and Seifer fight, and then the whole Rinoa waiting thing... <3 Real good opening!

As for the endings... I really loved FFX's ending. It was sooo beautiful! ;_;

m4tt
07-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Even though I do not like FFVIII, the opening was very nice. Mainly because of the music. And the Squall - Seifer fight scene was cool.

I also like IX's opening, with the boat, and the storm, and all that stuff. Good times.

Overall.. I'd say FFVI's is my favorite, short and sweet. Right to the point. And the music that plays during the opening credits is awesome.

As for ending? FFVI is my favorite again.

crono_logical
07-18-2003, 07:08 PM
6 for both opening and ending :D It might only be SNES quality graphics, but it's also better executed than the PSX/PS2 ones :p Especially the accompanying music, fit's and sets the atmosphere perfectly :p

Kirobaito
07-18-2003, 07:30 PM
FFVIII's opening is the best I've ever seen, simply because of the music..."Liberi Fatali" is the most awesome song I've ever heard...I even learned to play it on the piano." The ending...I really don't remember, it's been so long since I've beaten an FF game.

Flying Mullet
07-18-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by crono_logical
6 for both opening and ending :D It might only be SNES quality graphics, but it's also better executed than the PSX/PS2 ones :p Especially the accompanying music, fit's and sets the atmosphere perfectly :p
Definitely one of the best. But my favorite opening is Final Fantasy IV. The intro with the airships rolling is very good for the mood of Baron's plans for conquest, and when Kain and Cecil set off and the "traditional" Final Fantasy Theme kicks in with the scenic view from/by Baron Castle, I always loved that part. :rock:

the blitzer
07-18-2003, 09:38 PM
FF8 has my favourite opening for music and the Squall. Sefier fight. 6 has my favourite ending.

playaGAW
07-19-2003, 03:59 AM
Final Fantasy best openings:

1)FF4

2)FF6

3)FF8

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-19-2003, 12:28 PM
FFIV, FFVI, and FFIX had the best openings. The first three games had hilarious bad ones, although they were made much better in the remakes (pendingly, regrettably excluding FFIII). Those of FFV, FFVII, and FFTactics were nice in a throw-you-into-the-action kind of way. Those of FFVIII and FFX, however, were simply unremarkable.

Psychotic
07-19-2003, 01:37 PM
Hmmm...

I liked IV, that was very good, with that red wings music blaring. And VI, that was also good, with the Magiteks marching off to Narshe, and capturing it. VII's was pretty fast paced, It was quite good.

The FMV of VIII was very good, but when you first start playing it is very dull and boring, but I think the FMV at the start of FFII Origins was much better, I liked that.

IX was OK, but it was much better when the play started. V wasn't all that bad, but I'm not really so keen on it. FFIII's cave beginning wasn't all that good to be honest. And as for FFI, well I know the NES beginning isn't all that special, but I really should play it on Origins.

PhoenixAsh
07-19-2003, 02:38 PM
VII's was the best executed, it just threw you in and set the mood straight away. It might just be because it was my first FF, but it also made it more surprising every time you realised how huge the game and plot was getting. The intro just showed Midgar, so when I finally got to the world map I was like "What the Hell? There's more!!!"

VIII's is the most entertaining to watch though, so as a stand alone scene it gets my vote.

Cz
07-20-2003, 11:16 AM
VI had a good opening, mainly because of the atmosphere that the music created. I'd say it's the best one, just for the sound alone.

Reine
07-21-2003, 02:15 AM
I like the FF1 & 2s opening scenes. The remakes are awesome!!!

Firehawk
07-26-2003, 10:31 PM
I really like FF7's intro. It threw everything at you from the start, and you thought you would just carry out a bunch of missions for AVALANCHE. Then came Kalm. Anyway, back to the subject, FF8 also rocked, partly because it was the first one I saw, but who cares.

Aya Nekoneko
07-26-2003, 10:36 PM
I love FFVIII's opening. I can watch it continually to this day and never get bored of it. Occassionaly, I pop the game into my PS just to watch the opening.

But FFIX's also struck me as well. Garnet's memory leading to her opening her window and the doves flying around. Wow, almost poetic.

Sefie1999AD
07-27-2003, 12:53 AM
*YEP, SPOILERS AHEAD*

My favorite opening was FF4's. It had so much things happening, and excellent music to back it up. First the airships flying, Cecil remembering about what they did at Mysidia and the whole crew regretting that. Then, for trying to state the crew's opinion, Cecil gets demoted from his ranks as the Captain of the Red Wings. He has a discussion about this with Cid and Rosa - a more emotional one with Rosa. Then Cecil and Kain leave on a journey with the great FF main theme playing.

FF9's opening is also great, IMHO. Garnet's memories along with beautiful FMV and peaceful orchestral music. That was followed by lots of unique things and mini-games that kept the beginning interesting.

I agree with what was said about the remakes having well done intros. FF1's opening is pretty cool even in NES. First the heroes save the princess, and then their adventure actually begins (with FF main theme which is really a great song). BTW this happened pretty much with Super Mario RPG too: first trying to save the princess and beating up Koopa, and then the game really begins. FF2's opening wasn't that good until the PSX version. It's not my favorite even in PSX, but an action-based intro FMV, a chase sequence and meeting with the rebel army kept me quite interested. FF3 is decent, although the FF main theme was once again a good plus.

I like FF5's opening because it's quite beautiful and the music suits the events perfectly. I always get chills when strings play, the camera zooms at Tycoon Castle and Lenna says, "The wind stopped! Has anything happened to father?", and then the king walks into the Wind Shrine only to get the crystal blown to his face. FF6's opening is excellent thanks to its music playing with the events. It's been a while since I played FF6 so I can't remember it too well, though.

FF7's intro FMV isn't that good by itself, but it's cool to get straight into action. FF8's intro FMV is awesome in both visual and audio departments. A problem is that the following events are rather boring, and the great stuff don't come back until the invasion of Dollet (about 30 minutes after the game's beginning).

FFX's intro is beautiful with Zanarkand music playing, but I'm getting tired of seeing that opening so many times. (It comes if you let the menu stay on, when you start a new game and when you finally reach Zanarkand, and you can only skip the one with the credits playing.) The first things are quite boring, then come the Blitzball match and Sin's attack. Those parts are cool, but after Tidus gets transferred into the other world, things get boring once again. For FFX-2, I just know it begins with a concert where Yuna is singing. There Rikku and Paine are introduced, and they're beating up some security guys. They also believe that the Yuna singing at the stage is a fake. However, I don't know how it continues after that.

Mo-Nercy
07-27-2003, 04:35 AM
FFVIII was my favourite but unlike the others, it wasn't a prologue type thing, since a lot of the stuff in it beside the fight scene wouldn't be addressed until much later in the game, like Edea and words spoken at Edea's house. The other FF's mostly got straight to the point.

When the game began and Quistis told me that Seifer and Squall were just training, it sounded so lame. They wanted to kill each other! Did anyone else see the look in Seifer's eye?

Strider
07-27-2003, 07:29 PM
6 for both opening and ending It might only be SNES quality graphics, but it's also better executed than the PSX/PS2 ones Especially the accompanying music, fit's and sets the atmosphere perfectly Amen.

§hĺd0w
07-28-2003, 11:52 PM
well im gonna break the rhythm here and say somethin different. i thought 10 had a really good opening (not the best though) just because of the music. it gives u a good feel when tidus opens his eyes that something big is gonna happen. i also like the opening for 2 on ff origins. it shows tha some masterpeices can be recreated, and gives a sense of whats gonna happen. otherwise, i like 7, just cuz its hard to understand what the stars are for until u beat the game. it makes u think man

Zild
07-29-2003, 07:09 AM
I also like 7 because of the way it zooms in from the whole of Midgar to the station... it fit almost seemlessly into the start of the action (I didn't see it at first, but there are slight changes in colours and things, I recall...) and I'd never actually seen that kind of effect done so well on a game before. Plus the music, from the very open notes with the stars, to... I think when you actually blow the reactor up... I go back and blow the reactor up time after time just for that whole section of soundtrack...

Just felt I should add that...