PDA

View Full Version : PS 3 ....yes 3.....and my concern over Future FF Games.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
07-23-2003, 09:34 AM
OK ....I know its a wee bit early to worry about PS3 Games....

byt.... I read that Sony is creating general game engines. They are doing this to help developers realese better quality games and more of them early on in the consoles life.

So a general action engine and a general RPG engine and a general Racing engine.

But wont this mean that many of the games will play alike and look alike....??

That doesn't Seem very Square Soft [ish] to me.....

in the past it is always a Final Fantasy game that comes out with a whole new engine type that outdoes the expectations of everyone.....

Do you think Square-Enix would use these General Game Engines to realese an early game at the sake of ORIGINALITY????

Cz
07-23-2003, 02:03 PM
I doubt that Square would want to use a general RPG engine, as it prides itself on being the leader in the RPG market. If it didn't create distinctive, original games, it wouldn't be nearly as successful as it is now. Therefore, I think Square would prefer to have 100% control over the making of later FF games.

TheAbominatrix
07-23-2003, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I agree with Black Mage. People coming out with more generic games can use these engines to help with their development, perhaps allowing them to spend more time on storylines and graphics. Square can use this engine as well, and change it where they want to. I may be just a basic bare-bones engine, which would be useful. Personally, I dont care. I'm far more concerned about the storyline and characters than battle systems.

Magai
07-24-2003, 06:14 AM
I doubt FF will have it's big flare with FF as it did in the path after FFXI heck after 10 I guess the vendetta for Square and FF has gotten weird, and I thin k it's future FF's games aren't going to be so great as like FF7, I think the after every FF after 11 it's flare is proabably going to get lower and lower until poof. but I know that Square will do something to bring back the flare if not FF was good while it lasted.

Dalkaen
07-24-2003, 09:43 AM
There are some of us who think FFVII is probably the worst in the series, myself included. I'd rather that newer FF games are less like FFVII and more like the older FFs.

I agree with Black Mage as well, though. I doubt that they'll use the engine to make every future FF game exactly the same. Obviously, that won't sell as well. But I also agree with Abominatrix about caring far more about the characters and storyline.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
07-24-2003, 10:12 AM
Personally I have Played NEARLY every FF game ever made and I would like to say that each and EVERY one of them had at least somthing good.

FFXI looks to be the Ultimate offering to FF gamers in my opinion and I think square will make the right decisions.

I was just wondering if you guys think theyd use the generic Engine but it seems like most think that they would not use it at all.

and if they did that they would improve upon its design.

Thats all.....Sounds Good......Cant wait till 2005 now to get my PS 3

edczxcvbnm
07-25-2003, 05:46 AM
I don't think it would ruin anything. They are GENREAL engines. There is always a degree of random damage in RPGs and things like that. It is for things like that and actions in talking to towns folks. Its general for all types of RPGs. The things found in every single one of them. It saves time trying to learn to code it from scratch.

All the other stuff like the graphics engine will probably have general ones like Nintendo has in their standard library this gen. It is just standard engines that you can tweak for you particular game.

It isn't going to change the way they do things but unless you are going to go out of your way to tap the system to the max like Hideo Kojima...then you would be a fool not to use these basic engines...assumeing they are what I said they are.

§håd0w
08-01-2003, 01:44 PM
Even if they did do it (remember you said Sony was going to do it) then they will probably use it on their games, not other publisher's games. It just wouldnt be any fun if companyies had to follow a stric guideline on what to do. like vice city, I hate that game, but everyone loves it because its so open ended and very creative. so if square were forced to go by guideline like that, then.... well.... damn im stuttering... it would suck and no one would buy any other games released by them. and like u said, it is a bit early to be worrying about future games and ps3.

playaGAW
08-02-2003, 05:44 AM
I'm worried that with the way systems are going that it could lead to a crash of the industry. They might get too powerful if you know what I mean.

JEdi
08-07-2003, 12:41 AM
I think (and hope) and if Sony enforce the General RPG engine that Square'll get pissed and go back to Ninty. They want to and should now, because Nintendo use discs now instead of cartridges (and that was the fuss and the reason why they left N64 in the first place).

Dignified Pauper
08-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Square-Enix already went back to nintendo with FFTA on Game Boy Advanced. I highly doubt they'll ever use the gamecube system since the PS2's power i far superior.

I do wish FF games went back to the old story lines of the NES-SNES games. I think they should completely remake FFIV and FFVI to be like FFX. That would be the sweetest remake ever!

§håd0w
08-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Nintendo is also way to uptight about copyright infringement. So they use small disc, and made the Gamecube so small that it doesnt play dvds or cds. Thats why I never bought it. And besides, cartridges had a helluva lot less memory than discs. So they would've used about 15 cartridges for FFVII (seeing as thats when Square left) and it would have costed over $500 just to buy it.

JEdi
08-08-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Indelacio
since the PS2's power i far superior.

What on earth are you smoking, lad? Look at the system specs! Gamecube's far superior! And a year or so newer. Who on earth told you PS2 was more powerful than Gamecube? And it is highly likely. As yet no titles have been announced for PS3.

Originally posted by masamune1287
Nintendo is also way to uptight about copyright infringement. So they use small disc, and made the Gamecube so small that it doesnt play dvds or cds. Thats why I never bought it. And besides, cartridges had a helluva lot less memory than discs. So they would've used about 15 cartridges for FFVII (seeing as thats when Square left) and it would have costed over $500 just to buy it.

Small discs for a small console :) normal sized ones don't even fit. One should buy DVD players and CD players for those tasks. One should already have DVD players and CD players.....And yes, it would have been about 15 cartridges, and there was no form of FMV for N64, another nail in the coffin. Square wanted a more cinematic experience, and they got one, just not on a Nintendo console.

I think, now that the spat is over that it's entirely possible they'll start going back to cube in a fuller force. I do not believe Crystal Chronicles will be the last Nintendo Final Fantasy.

ZeZipster
08-09-2003, 02:24 AM
From what I can see Square will do any thing that makes them profit. Not what they've been known to do.

EDIT: I am officially Cap'n Obvious!

§håd0w
08-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Other than the GBA Final Fantasys, Cyrstal Chronicles is the last Nintendo FF.

playaGAW
08-09-2003, 10:17 PM
How do you know?

§håd0w
08-09-2003, 10:49 PM
I'm just assuming that since Square severed all ties with Nintendo. They're only making original FF games for Sony now. Nintendo is only getting remakes.

JEdi
08-10-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by masamune1287
I'm just assuming that.

Assumption is the mother of all :skull::skull::skull::skull:-ups, my friend.