PDA

View Full Version : The Moon! (My First Post)

Elliot Leonhart
07-27-2003, 07:41 AM
Hey i'm Elliot Leonhart ;) and i'm not gonna waste time talkin about myself, read my sig! lol.

Anywayz, I realize there is A LOT of symbolism in FF8. (Names, objects, people)

So I was wondering could anyone gimme the lo-down on what the moon represents. It's shown at the beginning, throughout the game, and the end. It's also shown after the dance scene with Rinoa and Squall. So what the hell is the moon trying to show me when i'm looking at it all those times.

I also realize that Zelda starting the Lunar Cry has something to do with the title "Tears of the Moon"! But i can't connect to what it's trying to say...;)

Edit by Gau: Please don't double post.

Rand Al'Tor
07-27-2003, 10:43 AM
Hmm, interesting question. The Lunatic Pandora (lunatic meaning 'coming from the moon or having a relation with it in one way') attracts monsters from the moon, and Sorceresses appear to have a special connection with it.

My own pet-speculation? Hyne's up there, watching the humans that once defeated him and trying to push them down by destroying their most advanced countries in a sea of monstes. (link with the sorceress? Sorceress power IS the power of Hyne, the half that humanity stole)

Of course, another reason is that the moon is just really, really cool to show at dramatic moments.

Oh yes, a friendly hint... MAKE THE SIG SMALLER. Really, it'll be a tad irritating when people have to scroll through your life story for every single post.

Maxico
07-27-2003, 12:35 PM
hey just a tip. dont double post. (thats post twice in a row) it takes up space on the website and gets you in trouble with the mods look underneath your post and you'll see a edit/delete button that lets you change and alter your posts. oh and the sig needs to be smaller. oh and welcome, have a good time, post, ect...
and this post needs a spoiler tag

anyway i dont think that the sorceress had anything to with the luna cry since i think centra was destroyed longe before the sorceress got up there (im refraning puting the name of the sorceress since theres no spoiler tag)

ShivaBlizzard8
07-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Welcome to EOFF! *hands noob welcome basket* :)

When it comes to the Lunar Cry, I think it is directly caused by the Lunatic Pandora, and works independantly of the sorceresses. PhoenixAsh and myself where debating in the Shumi/Alien thread as to whether the Lunatic Pandora orginated on the FF8 world (created by an ancient civization who didn't realize what would happen as a result, then abandoned when the Cry occurred), or came from outer space (and from Hyne). Yet your point concerning Hyne being in the moon and destroying humanity is feesable, considering a Pandora's box was a "gift" from the Greek gods containing all the evils of the world. When opened by humans, the evils escaped. In theory, this could be what happened - Hyne sent this box which, when used by humans, draws evil from its isolation on the moon to earth.

As for the complete signifigance of the moon itself, I don't think it has one specific meaning, but many. The moon has long been a symbol of love, and, considering that love is the main theme of the game, it makes sense that the moon should appear often.

Elliot Leonhart
07-28-2003, 04:31 AM
Okay! That helps. I also think that the Moon mite represent an eye (which is also a focul point in the game).

1. Tears Point - symbolizes tears of an eye
2. Song:Tears of the Moon - (same)
3. Song:Eyes on Me - The moon is always "watching"!
4. Lunar Cry - (obvious) when you cry, tears come from your eyes

Anymore input?

Big D
07-28-2003, 05:32 AM
The moon as a metaphorical 'eye'? That's an interesting one... it also ties in with the notion that Hyne might be up there, watching. Also, during the Lunar Cry FMV, the pattern formed by the monster swarm on the moon's surface closely resembles an eye. So closely, in fact, that the scene switches to a close-up of the eye of one of the lunar monsters.

Oh, and welcome to EoFF, by the way.:)

Elliot Leonhart
07-28-2003, 06:13 AM
Oh yea i forgot about that part of the FMV!!!

Hahah, just another one of those FF8 theories that I had. Thanx!

DreamThtr
07-28-2003, 09:06 AM
Yeah and this forum is called "EYES" on final fantasy :D

Rand Al'Tor
07-28-2003, 12:38 PM
Heck... I never thought of it like that... major props Elliot!

Elliot Leonhart
07-28-2003, 09:30 PM
Yeah, i didnt know what to make of it either. I just knew that the Moon was trying to say something and i couldnt figure it out. It's interesting!