PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm stupid, but the ending...***Soilers throughout***

Zild
07-27-2003, 04:08 PM
Maybe I'm stupid, but the ending of FFVII...

Is it just me, or did you lose the game?! Holy failed to stop Meteor, and from what I could tell it seemed like nothing else managed to stop it either!

Yet, we can clearly see that the planet still exists...

So what happened?!

Did the Meteor not impact, and life went on as normal with Shinra in charge?

Did the meteor impact, taking out Midgar and the Shinra HQ? If you ask me, the deaths of all those in Midgar is a small price to pay to remove Shinra from power...

What actually happened? It all made very little sense to me...

Still the best game I've ever played though. (Apart from maybe Blitzball - I mean, erm, FFX...)

Freija
07-27-2003, 04:58 PM
Spoilers, obviously.

What I think happened was that, though Holy couldn't stop Meteor, the Lifestream could, and did. Although whether human life was destroyed or not, it's hard to say. There is definitely life still on the Planet though- you see that with the baby Nanaki's at the end.

Shinra. Shinra probably fell with the deaths of Rufus, Scarlett and Heidegger. Midgar was probably totally destroyed too- the FMV shows a lot of Midgar getting wrecked.

But yeah. Just what I think. And I do think FFVII had the most confusing ending I have ever seen :P

Wightraven
07-27-2003, 06:23 PM
You'll also notice that that vine-covered thing in the end is the ruins of Midgar.

shinigami_xero
07-27-2003, 07:39 PM
SPOILERS AHEAD

personaly i don't think Holy failed at all, i think it succeded in manipulating the lifestream in order to stop Meteor, yes Midgar was destroyed in the process since it was one of the best places for the Holy/Lifestream to escape and stop Meteor, since Midgar was a huge city-sized Mako Reactor any way, as well as the 2nd biggest scar on the planet, and there was obviously life left since we see Nanaki and his pups, as well as the sounds of human children laughing and playing in the valley below echoing through the canyon...

Wightraven
07-27-2003, 10:54 PM
we see Nanaki and his pups, as well as the sounds of human children laughing and playing

How do you know those were human children? The laughter sounded when the screen was black, and since Nanaki can talk, why couldn't it be his kids' laughter?

Big D
07-28-2003, 12:01 AM
Cloud and co were onboard the Highwind, eveloped within Holy itself when they were ejected from the Northern Crater. If Holy was going to eradicate Humanity, it would've started with them. They weren't affected; it stands to reason that other Humans weren't either.
As for Midgar: the upper levels were destroyed, but Reeve had evactuated everyone into the slums underneath. Kind of ironic, I think. Midgar spent years using the slums as a dump, oppressing and poisoning the lives of the 'lower' class, but in the end the slums provided the only sanctuary from a crisis of ShinRa's own making...

Firehawk
07-28-2003, 01:18 AM
I thought the Lifestream was just combining its powers with Holy's. Of course, it has been a while since I saw the ending... Oh well. I'll try to beat it again before summer's over. :eep:

Big D
07-28-2003, 02:17 AM
I thought the Lifestream was just combining its powers with Holy's.
That's exactly right.:)

Zild
07-28-2003, 03:52 AM
Slums evacuated? Wow, I forgot that...

True true, how very happliy ironic! :)

shinigami_xero
07-28-2003, 03:45 PM
the ending is open to individual interpretation, but i believe it was human children laughing because traditionaly in anime and animation when there is a beast-like character their voice has a slight growl to it and normaly it caries over to all their enunciations including laughter and crying and that was not the case with the laughter we hear...

Celes
08-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Wow I never thought of that, shinigami_xero, that the laughter in the end was human children laughing. I hope that is true, because it seems way too depressing to think that all human life ended, and only Nanaki's kind survived, which is what I always thought after seeing the ending. There were references in the game saying how humans kept damaging the planet, and if they kept going they would eventually destroy it- so I assumed after seeing the end that the lifestream ended all the humans lives because they hurt the planet so much. :( Also, when they show Nanaki and his pups looking at a ruined Midgar, wasn't it like years into the future? If humans still lived on the planet I figured they would've had enough time to rebuild Midgar and live there again. Plus it seemed as if Nanaki was looking at Midgar as if he was remembering his old friends, like they weren't around anymore. I don't know, sorry for writing so much I just felt I had to get my feelings out on the strange ending of FF7.

one_winged_angel
08-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Also, when they show Nanaki and his pups looking at a ruined Midgar, wasn't it like years into the future?

yes it was actually 500 years into the future which is odd because nanaki says he is 45 but in human years that is 15 so his kind ages faster so how did he live for 500 years??

but anyway i believe that ff7 lets you believe what you want to believe as shinigami_xero said. I always thought that humans were "deemed unworthy" by the planet and destroyed which is why you only see nanaki post meteor. I never even realised about the laughing i just took it in as part of the atmosphere.

Big D
08-02-2003, 04:05 AM
About Nanaki's age... he's been alive for forty-five or so years, but he's only an adolescent by the standards of his kind. Bugenhagem says that they have incredible longevity, up to (or in excess of) five hundred years.

I think that Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Yuffie, Vincent and Cid surviving their exposure to Holy and the Lifestream is solid evidence that Humans didn't suffer annihilation.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
08-02-2003, 04:09 AM
Good enough for me.

§håd0w
08-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by one_winged_angel
yes it was actually 500 years into the future which is odd because nanaki says he is 45 but in human years that is 15 so his kind ages faster so how did he live for 500 years??

if that were the case... then it would have only been about 33 years later, assuming that it was 500 years in nanaki's life, and that he ages 3 times as fast as humans. but as for bugenhagen who know... that would make nanaki about 48 or 49, the others would be anywehere from their late 40s (yuffie) to late 70s (cid) but it wouldnt leave anything open for a sequel...

cid has retired, nanaki is a father, cloud and tifa prolly got married, yuffie prolly succeded her father and lead wutai, barret is prolly being taken care of by marlene, if she hasnt left him already due to the fact she is not realted to him in any way. vincent prolly disappeared and was never heard from again. reeve stopped acting as cait sith, lead midgar into a new life (outside of midgar maybe?) and then died. theres nothing left for aeris, maybe elmyra, but she would've passed on by then too

unless the sequel revolved around those 33 years, which would make a pointless game and would flop dearly... almost like FFX-2, except it really didnt flop, it sold well (go figgure) then thats pretty much what it would be like.

but if nanaki is still alive, and the 500 years was in his life, then i dont see why the others wouldnt be alive. and knowing that the highwind was very close to meteor when it struck, and nanaki was on the ship, the others should still be alive if it was only 33 human years.

Big D
08-12-2003, 02:23 AM
500 years = 500 years, doesn't matter whether you're Human or a giant orange cat/dog.

Nanaki's 45 years old, but that's the equivalent of a 15 or 16 year old Human. Basically, Nanaki is a teenager - not quite fully grown and mature.

one_winged_angel
08-12-2003, 04:08 AM
hey Big D isn't that what like 3 people have just said?

Big D
08-12-2003, 04:13 AM
Yeah... but masamune1287 seemed to need a little more convincing.

TheAbominatrix
08-12-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by one_winged_angel
hey Big D isn't that what like 3 people have just said?

And he was explaining it to someone who obviously was a bit confused on the issue.

§håd0w
08-15-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Big D
Yeah... but masamune1287 seemed to need a little more convincing.

<heck> man. ill never accept the truth :shifty:

Edit by Kishi: Watch your language.

zacks_clone
08-15-2003, 07:23 PM
I personaly think that they( Squaresoft) expected fans to want to come up with their own endings.Many RPGS and Fanfics are created befor and/or after the game.Perhaps they wanted people to decide for themselves and come up with intreasting fan works?

I think that humans did survive...Atleast for a time.Perhaps the exploshing after the holy/metor/lifestreem battle was like i bomb.The gasses(or whatever it was) swept over the planet killing off the people slowly.Maybe without them even relizing intill years later,befor it finnaly destroys life on the planet.And it would make sense,because if the planet wanted people to be destroyed,perhaps it made it so only humans were effected,as if to say 'alright.I'll destroy you slowly and if you have made improvment befor my fatal blow,i'll let your race live'.Did they live or die?Up to you.

See?No matter what,i think we're back to square one:Its up to you.Totaly up to you.

nec
08-17-2003, 03:50 PM
holy/lifestream was set out to rid the earth of all <evil>

yea humans may do bad things, but a small portion...really in general all people are <good people>
they let eldery cross the street, help a lost child find his/her way home...smile when it's sunny out, love their families...all in general good things/people etc.

i don't think that all humanity was wiped out...and the laughing children just amplify what i'm saying...children are good, like angels, untouched by the evils of the world. humans didn't stop...midgar stopped...evil stopped...that's all. the promised land was found.

Celes
08-21-2003, 05:52 AM
You are right, nec. I like how you said that-- that children are good, untouched by the evil of the world. There is always good to be found after all. :)

MagicKnight Locke
08-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Humans survived,though i think rufus didnt die and shinra came back,though rufus made it nicer now with th help with reevee,the turks turned into nice cool guys.

Oh and zacks_clone if that was a bomb then nanaki'd had dided

TheAbominatrix
08-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Doesnt Rufus die long before meteor hits, anyway? It clearly shows him in the building before it goes down, if I remember right . Not only that, but how would Shin Ra ever be able to return as a company? They lost everything, and it's clear that they didnt rebuild Midgar, even if they had the finances to do so, which is highly doubtful, considering the financial disaster caused by meteor and the Weapon attacks.

§håd0w
08-21-2003, 11:23 PM
Rufus dies when the Mako cannon fires at Diamond Weapon, and Weapon retaliates. Shortly after defeating Hojo

Big D
08-22-2003, 02:50 AM
masamune1287 is correct about the fate of 'poor' Rufus Shinra.

As for Shinra Inc itself... it had a major financial interest in virtually evey company in the world, not just in Midgar City, so it'd probably endure in some way or another. However, with Reeve now in charge, they'd be free to make a few radical policy changes. After the Lifestream's effort against Meteor, it's doubtful that Mako energy would be available. Shinra would probably turn to Humanitarian interests and the massive rebuilding/refugee situation resulting from the destruction of Upper Midgar.

Kenshin IV
08-22-2003, 04:01 PM
I still say Seven's ending was vastly underated. There really isn't anything set in stone that happened, it's up to your own interpretation. And what's come from it? Well, people are still debating it 6 years after the games initial release. It's one of the bigger reasons as to why Seven still has such a large fan-following.

TheAbominatrix
08-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Yeah, that's a matter of opinion though. I mean it was good, but I'd much rather have something concrete. It's like a story that was required reading for my class in like... 10th grade. It's ending was very open and it drove me insane. I like endings where it shows everyone happy and all. But that's just me.

Kenshin IV
08-22-2003, 04:38 PM
Well, the point I was trying to make wasn't weither or not it's ending was good (personally, I loved it), but what it did for the game. I'm sure Square knew they were taking a chance with making it so artsy, but, hell, topics like this wouldn't be made on virtually every Final Fantasy fan-boy forum if they didn't take that chance, now would it?

Great f'ing* sig, by the way.

*Damn those damn swear filters... damn them I say!

TheAbominatrix
08-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Yeah. And besides, no matter what sort of ending they would have made, someone would be confused, or someone would hate it. But it still drives me nuts! What happened to everyone! *cries*

And thanks about the sig! I'd just like to say that I've loved pretty much every post you've made on the boards so far. Yay you.

Kenshin IV
08-22-2003, 05:09 PM
Awww, you make me blush. *tee-hee* http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/embarassed.gif