PDA

View Full Version : Why is this hated?

Imperia
07-29-2003, 12:48 AM
All right... I'm not here to flame anybody at all, but I feel like everyone hates FFIX. This game is one of my most favorite Final Fantasy games. I don't understand why people hate it so much. The music is great, the gameplay is great, and the storyline is great. I wish people would appreciate it more. Am I the only one who likes this Final Fantasy???

IamTidus
07-29-2003, 01:27 AM
I love FF9 too, but I guess the reason so mnay people dislike it is cause it wasn't some were expecting. Thtas the way I was I tryed it when it first came out I was like "This is crap!" "Thats Stupid! whydoes he have a tail." And also Zidane wasn't your typical hero type. Thats what I think. People where think it was going to be something else then what it was. I don't really think that many people hate FF9 it just they think it's just alright and nothing great.

Bahamut2000X
07-29-2003, 01:29 AM
I liked this game a lot. So far it's my favorite FF that I've played on the playstation series. Nice for the series to go back to the midevil feel again.

I think people dislike it though because FFVII and FFVIII got so many fans to the game and those people were tech fans who thought FF had to be all tech based and sci fi'ish and hated the idea of a midevil FF. Of course that's just what I think is the reason why.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-29-2003, 04:28 AM
People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots.

TheAbominatrix
07-29-2003, 04:38 AM
Actually, people have certain tastes. Some hated X while some loved it, some think VI is crap when others (like me) think it's the best game ever made.

For me, IX was far too campy and cliche. The characters were stereotypical, and the quests were the same. There were too many random battles, and the 'abilities' system was a serious pain in the ass. I found most of the characters annoying, and I hated their designs.

*shrugs* Like what you want, hate what you want. It's a valid opinion no matter what.

robfinalfantasy
07-29-2003, 04:58 AM
Although it's true that many people hate FF9, there are others who still appreciated the game. I myself was glad to experience another medieval FF that had not been seen since FF5/FF6. Some people disliked the "childish" graphics that made up the game and therefore regarded it as bad. The game is actually pretty good. Other people should give it a chance. When I saw FF8 I hated it immediately, but then after playing it I instantly became a fan. The same can happen with FF9. Even though there are loads of people who hate this game remember that there are still those few who like it. ;)

Cz
07-29-2003, 09:42 AM
A large number of people who played the game had been introduced to the series through VII and VIII. They expected more of the same, and didn't receive it. IX could not have been more different from it's Playstation predecessors. That pretty much cut off half the fanbase.

Edgar
07-29-2003, 09:44 AM
It's the same as me and FFVIII. I hate it while others love it.

Sapphire
07-29-2003, 10:40 AM
I absolutely LOVE the game!! <3~
I remember one of my friends telling me that he didn't like the game the minute he saw Zidane.. said he looked like a 2 feet tall monkey. I felt like giving him a kick right there. :mad2:
The character design of FFIX is awesome, and the storyline's so beautiful as well.. there really isn't much of a reason to hate such a fantastic game imo. =]

Kurohime
07-29-2003, 02:15 PM
omg like ff9 sux0rz and ff7 is the best g4|\/|3 ev4r! zidane is gay and kuja is gay and ppl lok lke kidz in t3h g4|\?\3!!!1

ff9 sux0rz!!111

Good god, that took me longer to type than a normal sentence would. <_< Heh.

Most people I know who don't like FF9 are diehard FF7 or FF8 fans. They're all horrible, horrible, no good people, I tell you! They derserve to be dressed in purple thongs and strung up on a rope by their toes for Bahamut to Magaflare! :P

Ahahhhahaha!

Naw, I just think that they don't like FF9 because it's different that what they like and they have their preferences. Personally, it's my favorite game. Ever. Best. Game. Ever. :)

Can't convince me otherwise.

It r0xors!! :P

Sefie1999AD
07-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi

Kishi could be right, but I think there are still some people who hate FF9 and have a valid reason to hate it. But a big majority of FF9 bashers are people who hate it for only one purpose: so that they'd have something to whine about. They can't even give proper reasons for why they don't like it. If they're asked why they don't like it, they post something like Kurohime said (usually containing bad language, f-words and calling things gay):

Originally posted by Kurohime
omg like ff9 sux0rz and ff7 is the best g4|\/|3 ev4r! zidane is gay and kuja is gay and ppl lok lke kidz in t3h g4|\?\3!!!1

ff9 sux0rz!!111

Another reason for disliking FF9 would be Chibifobia. Lots of people see FF9's cute and cartoony graphics and think it's some childish crap without even giving it a chance (I've seen this happen with Kingdom Hearts as well). I even remember someone who's never played FF9 or seen its gameplay, but he said it sucks because he had seen a few cartoonish pictures, which already made the game suck. That's some real good reasoning, indeed. :rolleyes2

Bahamut2000X and Black Mage 121 also stated some of the reasons why some people didn't like it. I myself started FFs with FF7 and I played FF8 before playing FF9, but I still loved FF9. It's my 2nd favorite FF (2nd only to FF7), and I really didn't care about the change to Medieval style. In fact, I thought it was pretty good variety because futuristic sci-fi isn't always that fun at all. But instead of looking superficially at graphics, character designs and other things like that, I tried to look beyond the surface.

And what did I find when trying to look beyond the surface? I found a great, epic and deep storyline with characters full of personality and individuality, and they're also battle-wise different from each others, instead of everyone being clones of themselves... and instead of everyone being demi-gods who deal 999,999,999 damage with physical attacks, have 1 million HP, can fully heal the entire party, summon, use offensive magic, status magic, blue magic etc.

Another thing I also loved was the musical score. Because the game was set on a Medieval world, the music also reacts to that. There's loads of music that sound like musical scores from both baroque and romantic eras. FMVs are also accompanied by fully orchestral music pieces. BTW, FF9's soundtrack is the biggest FF (or Square) soundtrack ever: it has 152 tracks!

Finally, I'd like to say: to each their own, but if someone wants to trash FF9, I wish they at least gave some proper reasons instead of just calling it "f-ing childish gay monkey s**t".

Wightraven
07-30-2003, 05:40 AM
I don't particularly feel like reading all that's been said, especially Mr. Details up there, but I'll add my name to the list of folks what like FFIX. It's my second fave.

Lord Xehanort
07-30-2003, 04:42 PM
Zidane is horrible. The tail sux. Still I have put in almost 40 hours in less than a week.

TheAbominatrix
07-30-2003, 04:56 PM
Yeah, it's hard to get into a game with an annoying main character like that.

Edit: For me at least.

Demandred
07-30-2003, 08:21 PM
For me, IX was far too campy and cliche. The characters were stereotypical, and the quests were the same. There were too many random battles, and the 'abilities' system was a serious pain in the ass. I found most of the characters annoying, and I hated their designs.

What isn't cliched these days? Skies of Arcadia is one of the most cliched RPG's ever, but many people consider it to be one of the best ever because of how it is executed. FFVII, FFVI, FFVIII, and FFX are all cliched, so to call FFIX cliched isn't really fair IMO because it's not like it is the only game out there that is cliched.

Yeah and a good number of them are graphics whores who dislike the Kiddy graphics the game has.

TheAbominatrix
07-30-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Demandred
What isn't cliched these days? Skies of Arcadia is one of the most cliched RPG's ever, but many people consider it to be one of the best ever because of how it is executed. FFVII, FFVI, FFVIII, and FFX are all cliched, so to call FFIX cliched isn't really fair IMO because it's not like it is the only game out there that is cliched.

No, it isnt the most cliched game out there. And I really dont like cliched games. I've never played Skies of Arcadia, so I cant comment there. But if a game has other redeeming qualities, then I'll gladly play it. To me, VIII (Edit: Oops! I mean IX) had none.

And I really dont think character design has much to do with graphics. If the same exact character design had been used in, let's say, a PS2 game, it'd have wonderfully graphics of the big-headed characters of IX.

PhoenixAsh
07-30-2003, 08:44 PM
Why do people say it's just graphics lovers and people who hate medievil styles that hate IX. From what I've seen it's usually only IX fans who even mention that stuff. "Ooh it returns to medievil it's great!" Who cares when it's set?

The reason I though IX failed to compete was the gameplay. It was beyond simplistic.
Not being able to decide character abilities is annoying, but forgivable. Not being able to have much control over their developement rate is annoying but forgivable.
Doing this and then not allowing the player to even choose which characters they use for a huge chunk of the game is annoying. Making it so that there is almost no freedom of where to go for a huge chunk of the game is annoying.
Adding Excalibur II to meant making bosses easy which is annoying. Having this make a perfect save impossible is annoying.
Making most mini-games be annoying and repetitive or have near to no rewards just left nothing redeemable in the gameplay aside from the chocobos.

It was play by numbers, and if the characters were better it might have been decent to just watch. The characters were by large annoying and underdeveloped so it didn't.

Fiero Firestorm
07-30-2003, 09:14 PM

Someone obviously didn't look at the Ability System.

Oh, sure. You get two White Mage/Summoners. Big deal. They have specific summons and white magic the other can't cast. Oh, sure, the princess is the typical It's All My Fault person, but she doesn't stay that way for the ENTIRE game.

Oh, sure, the gameplay's simplistic. SO ARE ALL THE REST OF THE FINAL FANTASIES.

Oh, sure you can't choose which characters to take for two disks. That's not a "huge chunk of the game".

Making most mini-games be annoying and repetitive or have near to no rewards just left nothing redeemable in the gameplay aside from the chocobos.

The mini-games were actually kinda cool, and in the Hourglass mini-game, nicely challenging.

You don't need a "perfect save", anyways. It's just a USELESS AND POINTLESS STATUS THING. YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO USE THE EXCALIBUR II.

Cz
07-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by PhoenixAsh
Why do people say it's just graphics lovers and people who hate medievil styles that hate IX. From what I've seen it's usually only IX fans who even mention that stuff. "Ooh it returns to medievil it's great!" Who cares when it's set?
We do. The point of Final Fantasy is to immerse you in a different world. If the game doesn't have atmosphere, there's no point in playing. It just so happens that Final Fantasy began as a medievil-style game, and it's nice to see that style return.

The reason I though IX failed to compete was the gameplay. It was beyond simplistic. Not being able to decide character abilities is annoying, but forgivable. Not being able to have much control over their developement rate is annoying but forgivable.
Doing this and then not allowing the player to even choose which characters they use for a huge chunk of the game is annoying. Making it so that there is almost no freedom of where to go for a huge chunk of the game is annoying.

I didn't think it was simplistic at all. Rather than pile mastered materia on to your characters, or junction 100 of the best spells to every stat, FFIX limited your options, which forced you to think tactically. Think about the journey to Burmecia, and the subsequent section in Cleyra. You had no proper healer, and so had to find another way to cope. Another plus point of this is that you can't zoom ahead in your characters development, allowing them to kill any boss they come across in a few hits.

Adding Excalibur II to meant making bosses easy which is annoying. Having this make a perfect save impossible is annoying.
That's low. Can you really criticize a game for having one little secret, that the majority of players aren't even going to find, and only causes a mild annoyance to you? As for the bosses, they weren't easy at all, unless you levelled up for a while. That's true for any Final Fantasy!

The best equipment in the game was found by doing sidequests. The Chocobo mini-game gave you weapons like Ragnarok, Whale Whisker, and Ultima Weapon, as well as the Genji Equipment. The Stellazzio quest gave you the hammer, which could then be used to synthesize the Tin Armour. The card game, if you took time to learn the rules, was just fun in it's own right.

It was play by numbers, and if the characters were better it might have been decent to just watch. The characters were by large annoying and underdeveloped so it didn't. I thought the characters were great. Although the game seemed to centre too much around a select few, that could be said about any FF game.

Well, I've said my piece.

Wightraven
07-31-2003, 05:47 AM
Hmm... I've noticed Zidane's name popping up with some rather negative connotations here, and I'd like to defend him, as he's my fave FF main character.

Zidane was the first FF character I could REALLY relate to. He was a hopeless romantic and more testosterone-driven than the previous heroes of FF (Cloud who didn't seem to notice the ladies, and Squall who was "too cool" for them.), which endeared me to him in the first place. He never took anything seriously when he could help it, and always seemed to want to have fun with whatever curve-balls life threw him.

Yes, there was that one part where he got stuck in a mega-angst depression spot, causing him to try to alienate his friends, but real people do that, especially people as young as Zidane was supposed to be. He talked of his past bitterly and with sarcasm instead of casually and explanatorily like other FF main boys. He was caring, compassionate, but not so much that he was Disney-sweet. He seemed more like a REAL person.

I think you guys are overlooking and oversimplifying things, or perhaps I'm doing the opposite?

Jackschitt
07-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Since when are Final fantay 9's graphic's cartoony, man if half the people who bash the game would shut up and actually play it they would understand.BY THE WAY ZIDANE ISNT A GODAMN MONKEY. Another thing the fact that the abilities cannot be changed doesnt minimize your choices there are more than 4 chars in the game , mix and match or train all of them.Lastly cause this is getting long, people have opinions and i understand that but what the hell is so cliche about ff9 PLEASE TELL ME.

Demandred
07-31-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
No, it isnt the most cliched game out there. And I really dont like cliched games. I've never played Skies of Arcadia, so I cant comment there. But if a game has other redeeming qualities, then I'll gladly play it. To me, VIII (Edit: Oops! I mean IX) had none.

I wasn't criticizing you, I was simply saying it isn't fair to come out and call FFIX a big cliche, because it's pretty hard to find a game that isn't based around a giant cliche (aka: Save the world from the person who wants to become a godlike figure).

And I really dont think character design has much to do with graphics. If the same exact character design had been used in, let's say, a PS2 game, it'd have wonderfully graphics of the big-headed characters of IX.

Well I disagree here. Character design is what led the graphics to be what they are. At least that's my way of looking at it. I've also heard more than enough people say "FFIX suzx becuz it haz kiddzy grafics." Again, to each his own.

Why do people say it's just graphics lovers and people who hate medievil styles that hate IX. From what I've seen it's usually only IX fans who even mention that stuff.

Probably because there are just enough people out in the world who do say things like that, that we are forced to believing that is one reason why people dislike the game.

The reason I though IX failed to compete was the gameplay. It was beyond simplistic.

Like materia, the sphere grid, espers and junctioning are all complex. Materia and Junctioning are the two easiest systems to abuse in the history of RPG's. At least FFIX doesn't penalize you for leveling up like FFVIII does.

Not being able to decide character abilities is annoying, but forgivable. Not being able to have much control over their developement rate is annoying but forgivable. Doing this and then not allowing the player to even choose which characters they use for a huge chunk of the game is annoying. Making it so that there is almost no freedom of where to go for a huge chunk of the game is annoying.

To this I have to ask, when did you start playing the Final Fantasy series? In the earlier games of the series you set characters with a certain job and built them up, and in FFIV you had set job classes for the whole game, and what you learned in terms of magic was based on your level. FFVI even had each individual character set with basic attacks. I'm sure regardless of when you started playing the Final Fantasy series you know this, but my point is that, this isn't anything new in the series.

It's hardly fair to attack FFIX for being a linear game. FFIV,FFVI (minus the world of ruin),FFVII and FFVIII are all just as linear as FFIX.

and i understand that but what the hell is so cliche about ff9 PLEASE TELL ME.

*SPOILER*

Well the basis for the plot is leading a rebel movement against a power hungry queen, who is being manipulated by someone who ultimately is hoping to achieve God-like status.

That's pretty much the basis for every single RPG ever, at least console RPG's.

TheAbominatrix
07-31-2003, 04:48 PM
Oh no worries, I know what you meant. But what I'm saying is, cliches are annoying for me, and if a game has no real redeeming qualities in my opinion, then it doesnt help. Cliches take points off whatever game I play.

And as for the graphics, I know what you're saying. It's just a difference in words, really. VIII had the same graphics, but the character designs werent kiddy. And I really didnt like the character designs myself, not because they were kiddy, I just dont like how out of proportion their heads were with their bodies. But character designs and graphics arent everything either. It's just that when there's enough minuses, it doesnt add up to a good game in my opinion.

But then again, I do like some seriously bad crap. Hehe.

m4tt
07-31-2003, 05:00 PM

Final Fantasy 9 rules. :aimsun:

Lord Xehanort
07-31-2003, 06:47 PM
Okay I just found out why Zidane has a tail. I still don't like it... but I know why it is there.

Jackschitt
07-31-2003, 07:46 PM
What wasnt cliche about Kuja is the way he went about taking over the world and for one he wasnt going to go rule the world THATS the cliche bad guy in everything.Tell me this though how can you make a bad guy and not make him power hungry?

Lenne
07-31-2003, 09:39 PM
Ok, that could maybe sound funny, but in my opinion it's better when there a hand of people who like FF9. I mean, there are a lot of fans, who just like it, because it's "cool" at the moment. FF9 deservs "real" fans who like the game because of its genial story, charas etc.

Games like FF8 or FF10 attracted the most people. Yes, I do like them, too but I think FF10 lost a lot because of that :grr: .

I love FF9 and its my favorit FF, so... :love:

PhoenixAsh
07-31-2003, 11:09 PM
Okay, I'll just answer stuff from memory.

The gameplay is simplistic. The systems of VII and VIII might have been easy to abuse, but that was because they rewarded players who knew the game. I know IX pretty well IMO, but getting anywhere is simply a task of repetition. Two discs with no character choices or real ability choices is a long time.

The mini-games. Stellazio hardly counts as a mini-game. Chocobo was good. Cards, Hippaul, skipping, Mognet, were all pretty long and pointless. I can't even remember the hourglass so it can't have been that special.

Linearity. Of recent games only X gave you less choice of what to do or where to go. VI was unbelievable with freedom. VII wasn't quite as free, but still a long way past IX. VIII was linear, but there was still a reasonable amount of choice, and the flexibility of the game countered this.

Phil
08-01-2003, 03:03 AM

*shoots you* FF9 RULES. I like the fact that the game got back to the original basics, without the job classes. You have one mage, not 40, and each person has individual skills. Thats agreat charachter quality to me. Also, people who insult the charachter development of this game; i didnt see cloud develop very much, accept stopping his lying, and the only way tifa developed was in her...... nevermind.

Kurohime
08-01-2003, 05:01 AM
You know, I would honestly love to see everyone who complains about things being "too cliche`" try to come up with something that isn't cliche` on their own.

In a nutshell:

Protagonist finds out something is wrong with the world. Protagonist finds friends who will help him fix said wrong thing in world. Protagonist learns some big moral in the end. (Bonus points if the protagonist falls in love. Even more if the protagonist and antagonist have a Jerry Springer appearance for their argument!!!1)

(end sarcasm)

TheAbominatrix
08-01-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Kurohime
You know, I would honestly love to see everyone who complains about things being "too cliche`" try to come up with something that isn't cliche` on their own.

I'd like to see half the people in this thread accept constructive critisim and accept that not everyone likes the game for good reasons of their own. No one in this thread has mindlessly bashed the game, and so what if we think it's too cliche? It's just a game, not the end of the world. :rolleyes2

Edit: And besides, we arent professionally educated and paid writers. We arent paid to come up with plots, regardless. And heck, maybe Square even wanted it to be that stereotypical? It just doesnt sit right with me, that's all.

Cz
08-01-2003, 10:45 AM
The battle system all comes down to opinion, I guess. Some like to be able to customize characters, whereas others prefer to have fixed abilities. If you ask me, the latter creates a bigger challenge.

As for the mini-games, a large number of IX's were sidequests, as opposed to mini-games as such (Stellazzio being an example). However, the mini-games that were there were varied and rewarding. VII far surpasses IX in terms of sidequests, but it doesn't mean that IX's aren't fun.

I'll accept that IX doesn't give you as much freedom as some other games. But if 'freedom' is being forced to complete every single sidequest before disc 4, I'll pass, thank you very much.

PhoenixAsh
08-01-2003, 08:32 PM
This isn't anything against Black Mage 121's opinion, as it was one of the more reasonably put forward in this thread. However it was organised in a way that makes it easy to respond to for general purposes.

The battle system all comes down to opinion, I guess. Some like to be able to customize characters, whereas others prefer to have fixed abilities. If you ask me, the latter creates a bigger challenge.

It would create a bigger challenge if they had the bosses the same strength. They didn't, so it just makes it dull.

As for the mini-games, a large number of IX's were sidequests, as opposed to mini-games as such (Stellazzio being an example). However, the mini-games that were there were varied and rewarding. VII far surpasses IX in terms of sidequests, but it doesn't mean that IX's aren't fun.

Okay minigames. Card game, fun, pointless. Hippaul, dull, pointless. Skipping, timed version of Hippaul, dull, frustrating, pointless. Fight scene, fun, point, only once and in first hour.

I'll accept that IX doesn't give you as much freedom as some other games. But if 'freedom' is being forced to complete every single sidequest before disc 4, I'll pass, thank you very much

Err, theres only IX that I know of that does this. VII certainly didn't. VIII had one part of a sidequest that you had to do before disc four. VI did (very slightly), but the game was so open it would have been pretty hard not to. X didn't.

Jackschitt
08-02-2003, 11:31 PM
You guys need to stop and think what you are saying , yes you dont like ff9 but which one do you like? i mean 4 had the same set up oooo cant switch guys same with 2 . is it me or do you bashers only like ff7 and 8 which were not doubt good games but they have nothing to do with ff9's gameplay.

TheAbominatrix
08-02-2003, 11:49 PM
And obviously you dont know much. I hated VIII. VII was okay. IV and VI were my absolute favorites. And, as I said before, we havent bashed anything. We've only stated our opinions. Why must you try and turn it into some kind of war? Is having a different opinion wrong?

PhoenixAsh
08-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Exactly. IX is one of my favourate games, it just falls short of VI, VII, VIII, and X IMO.

People were giving stupid reasons for disliking IX, and claiming that was why people dislike it. We simply tried to give the real reasons.
If you wanna know why we did this reread the thread title.

Kuja124
08-03-2003, 12:12 AM
It would create a bigger challenge if they had the bosses the same strength. They didn't, so it just makes it dull.

Bosses the same strength? In FF9 and I have played this game more then any other FF game and I have all but FF3. The bosses are much more powerful then your characters. If you don't spend the time to level up you can never get past the bosses.

Okay minigames. Card game, fun, pointless. Hippaul, dull, pointless. Skipping, timed version of Hippaul, dull, frustrating, pointless. Fight scene, fun, point, only once and in first hour.

The minigames are fun in FF9.

Err, theres only IX that I know of that does this. VII certainly didn't. VIII had one part of a sidequest that you had to do before disc four. VI did (very slightly), but the game was so open it would have been pretty hard not to. X didn't.

Well you have played FF8 a lot I bet right. ;) Well in FF8 you have to do all but one of the sidequests before you got to disc 4. Once you got to disc four all the other sidequetst are cut off form you.

In FF9, 7, 6, 5, 4, 2, 1, and even 10 you can still do sidequests even when you get closer to the end of the game.

P.S. I don't hate FF8 in fact it's my Fav FF game. :)

PhoenixAsh
08-03-2003, 12:23 AM
Bosses the same strength? In FF9 and I have played this game more then any other FF game and I have all but FF3. The bosses are much more powerful then your characters. If you don't spend the time to level up you can never get past the bosses.

Not true, Excalibur II proves that.
My point was that people claim customisable characters make the game easier. But the bosses in customisable FFs are much stronger so it doesn't really work like that.

The minigames are fun in FF9. ]

Well that's your opinion fair enough. But so are other FFs and they are less pointless with it.
X is the exception to this where the minigames lead me to think Square were trying to experiment on us.

Well you have played FF8 a lot I bet right. Well in FF8 you have to do all but one of the sidequests before you got to disc 4. Once you got to disc four all the other sidequetst are cut off form you.

I'm not sure because I usually go for a disc 3 save, but I only know of the CC Quest that is neccessary to complete before disc 4. If you do that everything else is available. You can't do all the actual minigames, but the rewards are there still.

In FF9, 7, 6, 5, 4, 2, 1, and even 10 you can still do sidequests even when you get closer to the end of the game.

Excalibur II, Mognet(I think), Hippaul, swordfighting, must all be done before disc 4. That leaves chocobos and skipping.

Big D
08-03-2003, 03:55 AM
My only big 'issues' with FFIX were aspects of the characters and the writing. A great game, in my opinion, comparable to VIII, but slightly inferior to VII.

Speaking of opinions, try to respect each others' and refrain from personal attacks.

Octavious
08-03-2003, 01:06 PM
FF9 is my favorite ff of all time.

Kuja124
08-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Not true, Excalibur II proves that.
My point was that people claim customisable characters make the game easier. But the bosses in customisable FFs are much stronger so it doesn't really work like that.[q/]

A sword you don't even need proves that?

[q=PhoenixAsh]I'm not sure because I usually go for a disc 3 save, but I only know of the CC Quest that is neccessary to complete before disc 4. If you do that everything else is available. You can't do all the actual minigames, but the rewards are there still.

No all but one of the sidequests are cut off once you get to dics four of FF8. The tiem change that happens cuts you off form all the citys and areas you coudl go to to do all the sidequests. The CC Quest in justa minigame that does not really need to be played.

Excalibur II, Mognet(I think), Hippaul, swordfighting, must all be done before disc 4. That leaves chocobos and skipping.

Must if not all sidesquests here can still be done swoedfighting is not ever a sidequest. But it is a minigame that gets you gil if done right. :D

PhoenixAsh
08-03-2003, 02:43 PM
You said if you don't level up you can't get past the bosses. Excalibur II proves that this isn't true yes.

No all but one of the sidequests are cut off once you get to dics four of FF8. The tiem change that happens cuts you off form all the citys and areas you coudl go to to do all the sidequests. The CC Quest in justa minigame that does not really need to be played.

Dude cover spoilers. Okay so what side quests are cut off? I get them all early but I don't see any reason for Odin, Research Facility or Mr. Monkey to be cancelled.

Must if not all sidesquests here can still be done swoedfighting is not ever a sidequest. But it is a minigame that gets you gil if done right.

Which sidequests? Chocobo, yes. Mognet, maybe but I don't think so.

zacks_clone
08-03-2003, 04:29 PM
I own final fantasys VII-X at the moment.I would love to play the others,but right now im broke,so no new games for me...

But sofar,IX is one of my least favories GAMES,and definetly my leas favorite final fantasy.I havent played X enough to drop it in a spot from best to worst.

And why do i not love this game like so many of you fans?...I'll tell you...

One,im a big starwars,sci fi fan,so seven was totaly great for me...but like many siad befor,I was one of the fans introducecd to final fantasy with VII.I hated it.First time i played it i was expecting more along the lines of Legend Of Zelda.I hated it.I put it down,turned off the game and didnt play it again for a week.Know how far i got?I didnt even get ask my name.But after a week,i went back...and gradually,i loved it...By the second disk,i was hooked.The characters were wounderful.Great storys behind them,the storyline had so many twists and turns and forks in the roads...And it wasnt just a 'we need to save the planet' game.You had the revenge of a man for his home,a person trying to get things right in his mind,a person trying to avenge his lost lover,you had a character that wanted to live up to his father...it wasnt a 'oh,this guys growing powerful,he wants to take over the world,lets stop him!' game.There was more to it.

then came 8.Sadly,this was a game i felt was that 'lets stop the big bad guy'.But...you start the game thinking that your going to fight in a war,or just do seed missions,then boom.Not so anymore.They introduce the sorceress and you suddenly think shes the main villan and you have to stop her.You do,then theres another villian you have to stop,again thinking shes the main one.Stop them,and then you relize 'wait...a third one?!'...So many villans!Maybe thats what got me to like this game.That,and the graphics.It was a step up from the blobs in 7(BUT I LIKE THE BLOBS!).

then,finnaly,IX...Whats to say?it was a love story.as was 8.But...moreso.The main character wasnt too serious intill twords the end.The femail leed seemed delicate and unable to protect herself,though she easly thought for herself.This game was good,very very good,but...it wasnt the midevil thing,or the weapons,or much of the characters,or the battle system...It was the story...i didnt much care for it myself..

PhoenixAsh
08-03-2003, 06:19 PM
Okay seriously spoilers for other games are bad. I don't care cos I've played all the ones mentioned, but others haven't.

Wightraven
08-03-2003, 11:54 PM
I'd like to see half the people in this thread accept constructive critisim and accept that not everyone likes the game for good reasons of their own. No one in this thread has mindlessly bashed the game, and so what if we think it's too cliche? It's just a game, not the end of the world.

*smiles* *shakes Abominatrix's hand* Nerdmo retires from yet another thread, and suggests you all do the same. SWOOSH! *flies off, never to set foot in this thread again*

Mr. Graves
08-04-2003, 07:44 PM
I think this game was just too simple. Except for the final bosses, one could breeze through this game easily if one leveled up enough. It's just too easy, and it just doesn't compare to the rest of the series. It's a great game, but it's just not up to the standard of the rest of the FFs.

Jackschitt
08-04-2003, 10:15 PM
I guess everyone DOES have an opinion , the game is easy mini games, suck chars look like cartoons, no freedom, stupid kuja. Did i miss any other opinions?or can we just keep adding on?

TheAbominatrix
08-05-2003, 04:24 AM
I think you're the only one who said 'Stupid Kuja'... and you may wanna relax a bit, man. It's just a game, chill out.

PhoenixAsh
08-05-2003, 04:52 AM
Actually I hadn't even realised that post was inteded critically untill you pointed it out. Hostility sure is confusing these days.

black orb
08-10-2003, 04:07 AM
>>> I think FF8 is more hated than FF9.. Im playing FF8 right now, and my brother laughs and make fun of me because of that..

Storm
08-10-2003, 07:30 AM
I don't think FFIX is that bad of a game. FFIV was my first final fantasy ever, so I didn't mind the battle system in FFIX. I have just finished disk 3, and so far the bosses have been way too easy. The only time I have died in the game so far is attacking that boss in the Alexandrian Library.

Aya Nekoneko
08-10-2003, 08:38 AM
FFIX is without a doubt my favorite Final Fantasy. Great characters, involving plot, good graphics (especially for a PS game... it's really amazing), and last but not least, its wonderful fantasy setting.

I'm a huge fan of fantasy (and for the records, sci-fi) so FFIX was really created for me me ME! ^.~ I actually prefer the world of FFIX to the world of FFVI... the entire fantasy thing I mean. FFIX felt like a fantastic fairytale to me. Everything was bright and lush and beautiful. I'm a sucker for eye candy as well.

Plus, the game itself managed to touch nearly every human emotion ever, and it did it well. Sorrow, happiness, anger, regret, etc etc. It honestly made me feel for the characters and I care for them more than I have for any videogame character ever (especically Freya and Vivi... heck, I care for all of them and would have wished them all the ultimate happiness, even though I'm a big fan of depressing endings).

And although I personally love this game, I can see how others would dislike it. Not everyone can love the characters nor the minigames nor the plot nor the--well, you get the idea. I loved FFVIII while others hated it. I loved its story while others thought it was less-than-awe-inspiring. Not everyone's gonna like the same thing as it really doesn't benefit anyone to try and convince them otherwise.

Besides, there's a bunch of people here that adore FFIX. Why not talk about FFIX with us instead? ^.~

Angel_Reaper
10-06-2003, 04:15 AM
I love FFIX. The characters, music, and the FMV. But the fights was easy to me. But I do like the game.

Phil
10-08-2003, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by PhoenixAsh

Not being able to decide character abilities is annoying, but forgivable. Not being able to have much control over their developement rate is annoying but forgivable.

It was play by numbers, and if the characters were better it might have been decent to just watch. The characters were by large annoying and underdeveloped so it didn't.

The setting was good. I could say ff7's setting bites but that doesnt mean its true. Oh and by the way, since when did FFIX fail? FF8 was the one that wasnt even able to tie knots in the plot with misisng peices and explenations. You can also greatly control how the charachters level up. You decied what to equp and which skills they learn, so I guess they DO have control after all eh? Lets not make unjustifiable statements shall we? You could choose which charachters you used for over half the game. The reason you couldnt was for plot development. I liked it however, because it helped you level up without having to worry about the other charahcter's stats. As stated. Excalibur 2 was optional and received at the end of the game, so it actually wasnt that easy. The mini games may be repedetive, but so were FF7's. I mean come on. How many times can you play the snowboarding games and Mog House before you throw up your innards of boredom? As for the charachters bieng better, FF7 and FF8 could have done lots of work. The main charachters were pissy little twits with massive weapons that did nothing but complain. Oh and by the way, squall wasnt underdeveloped? Yeah, he was. Imo he was seriously underdeveloped. Phoenix Ash, you need to look on the good side of the game. Its easier to insult something than it is to make good complements about it. YOu did nothing but bash the game in the other thread. Lose the bad attitude. HOnestly. As for not being up to standard, I think thats all opinonated. I loved the game. Its my absolute favorite. Personally, I thought the other FF's stank to heck (especially 10).

Black Waltz No3
10-08-2003, 06:01 AM
*growls at Vincent for Bashing VIII*

Well for me I don't see what the big fuss is. Every Final Fantasy is a new experience. I enjoy them as that.. When I was contemplating re-playing FFVIII (which I'm doing now) I remembered all the bad things about it - unballanced Junction system, for instance. But now that I'm actually playing it... Mega fun!

So please. Before you bash... Think.

Phil
10-08-2003, 12:46 PM
I did think. I just don't like the game a whole lot. The junction system was pointless and stupid. Plus the fact that getting new weapons is my favorite part of the FF games, which rarely happened in 8. You get what?" Like.. 7 weapons? Compared to the masses of them in other games. Squall has seven weapons... wow... talk about being shorthanded.

Jack
10-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Ok, I'm here, I'm the one who started this. So shoot me.

Most people I know who don't like FF9 are diehard FF7 or FF8 fans. They're all horrible, horrible, no good people, I tell you!
Yes I like FF7, and yes I love FF8, but there's others. FFV and the sublime Job system, and VI and it's wonderful style and story. I also like FF2 better then FF1 becasue it had a constructive story (Compared to 1)
So you see, I may hate FF9, but I'm not a horrible, horrible no good person who just bashs FF9 becasue I can.

Yeah and a good number of them are graphics whores who dislike the Kiddy graphics the game has.
Nope, I will happily play a game whether or not is has good graphics. I may be young, but I love Bomberman (On the MegaDrive) and Grandia (PS1) and you can't say
A:They look good
B:They aint kiddie
I like them becasue they play well. Bomberman is fun in multiplayer and Grandia is fun kiddie, it doesn't take itself seriously. I Like them cause they play WELL

No, it isnt the most cliched game out there
No, your right, it isn't. Do I care? Nope.
Do I care if a game is cliched? Nope.
All car games are cliched (The car will finish a race!) all sport games (Score a goal by putting it in the net!) Most films nowadays (Face it, you knew the keymaker was GOING TO DIE in Matrix Reloaded, oh and the latest Star Wars are abug with cliches). I don't care, I'll still play (Or watch) it cause I like it.
FF being cliched? Nope, still don't care.

(You see, I can hate FF9 without swearing!)

The reason why i hate it is....*Drum Roll* because ity's a step backwards for the FFs. Why, well, FFV began the revolution, the revolution that is CUSTOMISATION. Then FFVI upped it, and FFVII improved it even more. But still, they were trapped. They were still like the other FFs, but dressed up. FFVII was the pinacle of the former FFs. FFs that were restricted to leveling up, and the such

Before I say anything. Think back. To the greatest triumphs of mankind ,the invention of cars,penicillin,landing on the moon,cracking our genetic code in our DNA,introduction of cloning. All these accomplishments have one thing in common. Before and after it, all these moments were met with furious and scathing debate from people. Resquiste of our existence is to dispute and toll over everything that might advance our civilization.

And thats what we did over Final Fantasy VIII. Yes, it essentially gave a middle finger to all the usual RPG staples. Weapon shops meant nothing, magic was woven into the stats (therefore, discouraging you to use it) and money no longer spilled out of dead monsters.

These are the things that people hate (As well as hate Squall and Rinoa, and the theme, and the Junctions system, and.......basically everything) And why, you cannot deny that it's opening was fantastic, that the clothes were different, and it was different. That why people hate it, it's becasue it's different.

Now, the reason I hate FF9 is becasue it didn't continue the series, it went backwards. Gone was the middle finger and was replaced with a peace signal. I no it was a lookback, but it stopped the wheels turning of revolution. And thats why I hate it, because I could have bourght it years ago, with less prettier graphics, and it would have still played the same. It wasn't a change, it was the same. And thats why you like it.

So you see, it's the same with football games (Or soccer for the Yanks). Everyone buys FIFA when they should but PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER. Why don't they buy it?

Because it's different. Make of what I've said if you will

Phil
10-08-2003, 10:54 PM
FF9 was certainly not a step backwards. It just introduced a new feel which was a healthy change. In my opinion, FF10 was about ten steps bakcward. That game smelled like a dying cow. FF9 is a great and marvelous game.

By the way Legolas63, its spelled customization. And FF9 was very customizable. You could choose which skills and abuilitys you wanted to learn.

Jack
10-09-2003, 08:04 PM
My Thread Has Been closed...for this one!!!!!!!!!
Oh well, I'll focus my energies on this one then.....
(While I'm here, anyone who replied to my thread adside FROM CERTAIN PEOPLE THAT WILL NOT BE NAMED, thaks, I really learnt some stuff, and I hope, that you'll join this cool thread too)

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME YOURE GOING TO SLAG OFF MY GRAMMAR. OH WAIT, U DID

By the way Legolas63, its spelled customization I've had this Twice and both by FFIX lovers.

Most people I know who don't like FF9 are diehard FF7 or FF8 fans. They're all horrible, horrible, no good people, I tell you!
And I guess it goes both ways as well. Those that are diehard FF9 fans are horrible,horrible, no good people.

NEW FEEL

FF9 was certainly not a step backwards. It just introduced a new feel which was a healthy change.
What new feel? For all I could see, it was the same, no difference then the earlier games. It brought back old-age staples of the FF series, jumbled 'em up and spat out the result. The idea of FF9 is to look back, so it sort of failed since it has a "new feel".
Maybe, it appears it has a new feel, simply because you didn't like FF7 or FF8 because they were too futuristic or too different. You were waiting for a return to the the norm. The usual. Then FF9 came and you guys lapped it up. It was what you wanted (No wonder it sold so much!). Don't worry, I'm not judging, everyone buys FIFA, no matter how much I tell them not to. I did actually buy FFIX straight away (On it's release date) so I'm the same.

CUSTOMIZABLE

FF9 was very customizable. You could choose which skills and abuilitys you wanted to learn
That wasn't customizable, that was choice of when you were going to learn something.
"Right. Should I learn this attack or this ability first. Oh wait, I'll just hang in this area for bit, and learn them both. Solved problem!"
You didn't lose sleep over it, thats for sure.

SETTING
Who cares for the setting?
FF7's setting was different FFIX PEOPLE HATE IT
FF9 setting was the same as FF1, 2, 3, 4 5, and a bit like 6 FFIX PEOPLE LOVE IT
So the only reason the setting will rock for you guys, is because it's like your childhood, playing FF in castles and stuff. Now, you're 36, and you're childhood comes back! But in prettier graphics

HYPOCRITE

Phoenix Ash, you need to look on the good side of the game. Its easier to insult something than it is to make good complements about it. YOu did nothing but bash the game in the other thread. Lose the bad attitude. HOnestly. As for not being up to standard, I think thats all opinonated. I loved the game. Its my absolute favorite. Personally, I thought the other FF's stank to heck (especially 10).
Vincent06, I still think you're cool, but being a hypocrite isn't. YOU have done nothing but bash FF8, yet you slag Phoenix Ash off for bashing FF9.

ATTACKS AGAINIST FFX
It was different. Square tried something new, and the devout FFs (Who love the Medievil themes) burnt it.
Why? Didn't you dig the peaceful feel it had, th one where you didn't feel you had to do anything, for the first time, the plot wasn't driving it forward, you were?
Didn't you love the beautiful Asian style backgrounds?
Didn't you love the powerful love story, one that felt so real and powerful? One that brought you to tears?
Didn't you love the highly detailed characters, and it being the first FF that made simple characters something (O'aka, Clasko, Dona), a part of an epic tale?

Ok, I admit, I hated the minigames (Apart from the cool blitzball....but even THAT got boring) and monster catching is dull. And I hated the lack of a world map, it didn't feel as big becasue of that, and I didn't like that one bit. But hey, they tried.

The point is, FFIX wasn't a change, it was a rehash of the others. it probably is a better version, but, that was then, and this is now. And FFIX should have stayed in the past.

Phil
10-10-2003, 12:06 PM
I didnt mean to bash ff8. Its a good game, I just dont like it as much as 9. I was angry because phoenix ash was stating what he said as facts, when they were opinions.

MagicKnight Locke
10-12-2003, 12:54 PM
a good game :)

PS.i just beat it today

Phil
10-12-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Legolas63

CUSTOMIZABLE

That wasn't customizable, that was choice of when you were going to learn something.
"Right. Should I learn this attack or this ability first. Oh wait, I'll just hang in this area for bit, and learn them both. Solved problem!"
You didn't lose sleep over it, thats for sure.

Hate to break it to ya, but in FF7, you didnt even HAVE to learn skills. You just equip it. HOw stupid is that?

Jack
10-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I did no that, but You've missed mentioning that if you didn't equip it, then you wouldn't have learned skills. Equip Fire, and then LEARN Fire2 or sumthing

My point is.....WHY DID SQUARE GO BACK TO THAT PERIOD OF EQUIPING AND LEARNING?

(FFVII was centered on the Materia system, and that's why you just equiped them with weapons. They wern't the centre focus)

Phil
10-15-2003, 03:29 AM
You just said it yourself. YOu equip fire, you learn fire2. YOu have to learn those moves to continue. Its the same in ff9. the only difference is that ff7 uses materia and ff9 uses clothes.

Jack
10-15-2003, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE]Its the same in ff9. the only difference is that ff7 uses materia and ff9 uses clothes[QUOTE]

Yep, except (If you read my opening reply) FFVII was (Or should) have been the final of those games. It was the pinacle of EQUIPING & LEARNING. The style had nowhere to go.

For example.....If Metal Gear went back to 2D, would you be happy? Nope. And that's what I've been getting at. It's not that it's medievil (Which I like) or that Zidane has a tail (Which, is kinda quirky cool) It's that it's step backwards in the learning skills dept. Each FF has added sumthing to it.....

FFV-Job System, equiping crystals gave you jobs. collect AP and learn skills in that Job

FFVI-Equip Espers, get AP, learn Magic. Everyone has individual skills. (Except Gogo)

FFVII-Equip weapons (which have slots) and then place Materia in those slots. Get AP, learn new magic. Different weapons have different learning rates, combining some materia can cause hunderends of differeing combos (Like combining KOTR with HP absorb so every time you smack sumthing with it, you get loads of HP)

FFVIII-Equip GFs, and equip Magic spells to slots made by the GFs, which make you stronger. GFs can learn new skills, that benifit you, by learning AP. unprrelled number of set-ups

FFX-Go round a grid, learning EXP which gives you moves,around the grid. This grid has spheres which contain skills. Collecting differing spheres, allow you to open these spheres, and let you learn moves and skills.

and for my "favourite" FF

FFIX-Learn skills from equiped equipment by learningAP

FFIX is a step-back. A step-back should be a final conclusion of it all. The pinacle. But it isn't, FFVII is IMO.
FFIX isn't deep enough.

Oh and the story isn't enough to push you forward. Only near the end, does it get good (I must say, it is really good!) To players of SNES FFs, it''s gaming nostaligia. A look to the good old days.

But did they need to have alook. Surely, they were good enough back then to stand on their own?

Starcrest
10-25-2003, 10:27 PM
This may just be me, but, people might hate this game for a few reasons. One, only selective people can use magic, and only 2 people can summon, the music is good, everything else is good, cept the fact that Zidane has a tail, but, yeah, but, only those are what really bother me about this game, it may count towards others to, but, this is just me

Angel_Reaper
10-25-2003, 10:38 PM
Yeah but that like real life certaiin people use magic, steal, summon, ect. I always thought Zidane looked cute with a tail. :(

Starcrest
10-25-2003, 10:40 PM
ok, but, the tail, freaks me out,

Angel_Reaper
10-25-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Shiva's Effect
ok, but, the tail, freaks me out,

LMAO yeah i guess it would freak some people out. What if he was a girl would it still freak you out?

Starcrest
10-25-2003, 10:46 PM
Kinda, but, not as much

Angel_Reaper
10-25-2003, 10:51 PM
Let me guess you are a male, right? o_0If you are its no wonder Zidane's tail freaks you out.

Starcrest
10-25-2003, 10:52 PM
yes, i'm a guy, and I have good reason to be freaked out, I mean, come on, a...w/e zidan is, with a tail, wouldn't that freak you out, just a little?

Angel_Reaper
10-25-2003, 10:57 PM
If i was a guy.....well yeah i guess it would. :eek:

Starcrest
10-25-2003, 10:58 PM
thought so

Angel_Reaper
10-25-2003, 11:02 PM
:tongue:

Shlup
10-26-2003, 11:17 PM
The main reason I probably didn't like it is because there was a glitch on disc 3 right after 2 boss battles in a row so I never got to beat it. That, and I thought the character design was ugly. Garnet looked like an 8-year-old with boobs.

Achilles
10-27-2003, 05:03 PM
this game is great
I really like the fact that u dont have "Blank" characters like in ff7 and ff8..u know you can adept them to your wishes.
In this game there are really "Healers" "magicians" and ppl with just whoop as (can i say ass on this board..if not sorry :)) attack stats.

in a nutshell..

The game rules.

Nanaki
11-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Well, I can't say so much because I haven't played it, but from what I've read and seen about FFIX, it seems to be very good.
The story, the characters, the graphics.
But I think that people don't like it so much because it's not as 'modern' as VII and VIII. I think I will love this game when I play it (I'll buy it soon :D).
I love VII and VIII, but I still like the 'older' style in IX.

Jack
01-13-2004, 01:46 PM
The Tail is cool, leave off it. And yes, I'm a guy. I like the tail. it's quirky

I don't like it because it goes back to a former style that loads of older gamers love. Yes it's meant tyo be a "goodbye" to the series but that doesn't mean it's learning system has to go back, that you have oddball characters from the past

(FF6 had Mogs, FF9 had Quina):mog: I like mogs

Also, as for the "only 2 can use magic" thats rubbish. That makes it more challenging. I like that, but using that is a poor excuse

It is the dark ages. FF8 & FF10 represented the future, with a new look, a new gameplay. A new FF, but ff9 is like a slap in the face. i wanted a new Ff, not a rehashed one.

ff9 has good points, for sure, but it's not great. In fact its BAD but not without good points.,......

FF8 is the best.

Lord Xehanort
01-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Only two use magic?

Dagger, Eiko, Vivi, Quina... that sounds like four to me.

The tail was a bit freaky at the first part. Kinda unexpected. Later on... it was a turn-on. *has a dirty mind*

K-chan
01-28-2004, 07:34 PM
The tail was cute! ^_^ And yes i'm female, no dirty comments pleez.

I dunno, all in all i thought the game was really good. It was a LOT more up-beat than FF7 and 8 (I'm not saying i don't like ff7 or 8 tho)! Plus, Kuja wasn't your typical bad guy for more than one reason, the main one being: he didn't want to take over the world, he wanted to destroy it. Hell, all the characters were kool in their own weird way

Starcrest
01-29-2004, 02:26 AM
Well, two of them are summons, and I didn't really think about them being 'magic' type deals, but, good point

Ultros0
01-29-2004, 03:02 AM
I scanned some of the posts. Anyone who says the characters are underdeveloped needs to rethink. ONE) this is final FANTASY. Not The Matrix. TWO) The reason the character designer made more non-human races, etc... is for the sole purpose of developing the characters... No, FFIX is not a LOVE theme. It's about LIFE, existence, and it sends a wide message out to all of us who are open-minded. Final Fantasy always has a love element and a nature element. People who dislike 9 is because it doesn't have pretty human brittney spears characters who fall in love with Mark Wahlberg's with sweet looking swords. If you don't like it, don't flame it. Go play FFX, which by far the best love-themed final fantasy yet.

TheAbominatrix
01-29-2004, 03:08 AM
What does character development have to do with the genre? Fantasy or sci-fi, it doesnt matter, character development is character development. The non-human races werent for development of the characters, but for the development of the world they live in.

People who dislike 9 is because it doesn't have pretty human brittney spears characters who fall in love with Mark Wahlberg's with sweet looking swords.

Oh yes, that's totally why all of us who dislike it feel that way. I'm glad someone could finally see through all those reasons we listed.

And 95% of the people in here arent flaming the game at all, regardless of their stance. It's a discussion, not a debate.

Ultros0
01-29-2004, 03:24 AM
You're hard as a rock... I didn't explain the non-human thing because i figured people were smart enough to understand it. Vivi wasn't human and questioned his existance... He didn't believe he existed in the world because he wasn't normal, and all the other black mages were robot-like. It helps the theme of life to have varying within life. If Zidane was normal, well, that would through the theme of life out the window... The central idea is that everyone exists for a reason, and it brought up questions throughout the game about the central message, which revolves around Vivi. I take it you haven't played all the way through the game. The non-human characters were essential to establish the feelings of isolation and insecurity (Not all of them though.) Some of the non-human characters were also added for comic relief such as Quina. I don't know about you but i knew all of the characters front to back when i finished the game, unlike in 8, which was good nonetheless.

TheAbominatrix
01-29-2004, 03:33 AM
Excuse me? There's no need to insult me because you worded things wrong. That's not character development on the whole, Vivi's character development doesnt change because of who he is, the development comes with the experiences they go through. And you just said what I said... it furthered the development of the world. Of the overall feel of the game. That effects the character development of the others but is not, in and of itself, the character development of the individuals.

Jack
01-29-2004, 09:38 AM
FFIX, FFVIII spoliers ahead.

I was listening to Smashing Pumpkins when I read some comments that disturbed Billy Corgan's voice in "Appels & Oranjes". I was not happy, that is a great song. As of such....here I am........

If you don't like it, don't flame it. Go play FFX, which by far the best love-themed final fantasy yet.

Excuse me? I don't like FFIX, and i haven't flamed it once. I've discussed WHY I don't like it. And if you were paying attention, not all of us hate it because it isn't about love. And I own FFX, which is just a exercise i making nice graphics. It feels too linear to feel like a FF, since you only go to about 10% of the world. And as for the love in that, it (IMO) wasn't as moving as FFVIII. Except the end of it, which was moving in some ways.

People who dislike 9 is because it doesn't have pretty human brittney spears characters who fall in love with Mark Wahlberg's with sweet looking swords

Once again, you're FAR too assuming. FFIX isn't poor because the characters don't look like that. And FFVIII is the only one with a major LOVE element, FFX was more to do with the burdens on a person. Yuna has to live up to her father. Tidus has the burden of his father. Wakka feels the burden of Chappu's death.....etc. (At least, thats what i think)

The central idea is that everyone exists for a reason, and it brought up questions throughout the game about the central message, which revolves around Vivi. I take it you haven't played all the way through the game.

1.Everything TheAbonimatrix said about Character development

2.I have played through the game. Twice. 1st time was when i bourght it when it came out. 2nd was recently, when i went back to make sure what i had said was right.
*completes FFIX* "Yeah I was right. That was crap"

he didn't want to take over the world, he wanted to destroy it

But taking control was his first objective. It was only when he found out he was going to die did he lose it and want to destroy the world.

Some of the non-human characters were also added for comic relief such as Quina. I don't know about you but i knew all of the characters front to back when i finished the game, unlike in 8, which was good nonetheless.

Why would you want to play with a character for comic relief? This is a serious story, in a fantasy world. Why would anyone want to play as a loser that doesn't acheive anything, and has his mind centred on one thing?
By doing that, it destroyed something linking all the characters. In FFVII, Shinra brought them together, FFVIII they were all children in a Orphanage.
FFIX's characters wearn't linked.
Yes I realise you could say they were linked within the Crystal and the world and blahahahaha
What I mean is that they might have felt that they wearn't part of things in the world and they were (Except Quinia :D) but the lacked chemistry. Only the main 4 (Zidane, Garnet, Steiner & Vivi) had a resemblence of a connection (with their personality and relationship with each other)
Crappy Character development=Crappy Characters

But I think that people don't like it so much because it's not as 'modern' as VII and VIII.

I like FFV & FFVI. And I love FFII. Hardly modern are they?

I've said this before, but felt i have to say it again.....
The reason why i hate it is....*Drum Roll* because ity's a step backwards for the FFs. Why, well, FFV began the revolution, the revolution that is CUSTOMISATION. Then FFVI upped it, and FFVII improved it even more. But still, they were trapped. They were still like the other FFs, but dressed up. FFVII was the pinacle of the former FFs. FFs that were restricted to leveling up, and the such

Before I say anything. Think back. To the greatest triumphs of mankind ,the invention of cars,penicillin,landing on the moon,cracking our genetic code in our DNA,introduction of cloning. All these accomplishments have one thing in common. Before and after it, all these moments were met with furious and scathing debate from people. Resquiste of our existence is to dispute and toll over everything that might advance our civilization.

And thats what we did over Final Fantasy VIII. Yes, it essentially gave a middle finger to all the usual RPG staples. Weapon shops meant nothing, magic was woven into the stats (therefore, discouraging you to use it) and money no longer spilled out of dead monsters.

These are the things that people hate (As well as hate Squall and Rinoa, and the theme, and the Junctions system, and.......basically everything) And why, you cannot deny that it's opening was fantastic, that the clothes were different, and it was different. That why people hate it, it's becasue it's different.

Now, the reason I hate FF9 is becasue it didn't continue the series, it went backwards. Gone was the middle finger and was replaced with a peace signal. I no it was a lookback, but it stopped the wheels turning of revolution. And thats why I hate it, because I could have bourght it years ago, with less prettier graphics, and it would have still played the same. It wasn't a change, it was the same. And thats why you like it.

------------------------------------------

Now I'm finnished, I'll get back to listening to Smashing Pumpkins. First it's ADORE, then MELLON COLLIE & INFINITE SADDNESS, SIAMESE DREAM & then PISCES ISCARIOT. Good day.

In you I see dirty
In you I count stars
In you I feel so pretty
In you i taste God
In you I feel so hungry
In you I crash cars
~Ava Adore

And you never know you're sure
But you're sure you could be right
If you held yourself up to the light
and the embers never fade
in your city by the lake
the place where you were born
~Tonight, Tonight

King of the horseflies, dark prince of death
his tragic forces are heaven sent
in sweet things, in a lvers breath
in knowing this was meant to be the last
~Where Boys Fear To Tread

Disarm you with a smile
and cut you like you want me to
cut that little child
inside of me and such a part of you
~Disarm

Get me a Raygun
Get me some altitude
~Pissant

----------------------------

Oh yeah, FF8 rocks :D

K-chan
01-29-2004, 11:59 AM
*shrugs* some people like it, some don't. As long as you have a good exuse for hating it, that's fine.

If you say its crap B cos it has "cartoony graphics" ...well...geez. Didn't anyone ever teach you not to judge a book (er...game) by its cover?

DocFrance
01-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Legolas63 I've said this before, but felt i have to say it again.....
The reason why i hate it is....*Drum Roll* because ity's a step backwards for the FFs. Why, well, FFV began the revolution, the revolution that is CUSTOMISATION. Then FFVI upped it, and FFVII improved it even more. But still, they were trapped. They were still like the other FFs, but dressed up. FFVII was the pinacle of the former FFs. FFs that were restricted to leveling up, and the such Who said that customization was some sort of "revolution," and that FF should be continually progressing towards even more and more customization? You say FFV started this "revolution?" Hardly. FFII probably had the most customization ability available. FIII had a great deal as well. And even FFX could be seen as a step back, because while everyone could eventually learn an ability like Armor Break, it took a lot less time and effort for Auron to learn it than it did for Yuna. Besides, if you have every character activate every node, they'll eventually become nearly identical. Stuff like that requires no thought or strategy. In FFIX, you think Hmmm... I'm going to need some sort of healer, a good physical attacker, and some black magic... So I'll take Eiko, Steiner, Vivi and Zidane... but Vivi hasn't learned to many abilities, and his level is pretty low... I'd better go train him.... In other games, you think Well, I'll just make everyone fit into the mold that I want them to. Need a healer? Bring Cloud, since he's obviously a white mage. Need some strong attacks? Relm can do that quite well. Do you see what I mean?

MagicKnight Locke
01-29-2004, 07:33 PM
The reason it isnt my favourite is that it had something missing from the feeling

Jack
01-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Good point DocFrance but.....

I don't like Steiner as a character. S I don't want to play as him, but I need him in places. Same goes for Feya, Amarant, Eiko & Quiena. Poor characters in my opinion and I'm not a fan of Zidane either.......

Would you play as someone you hated?
would you play Zelda if Link was a w***er?
Would you play Mario if Mario was a terrible character?

So in FF8, I don't like Selphie so i don't have to have her, I can have Zell instead, who i do like.

----------------------------------------------------------

And I wrote that in a earlier post, i forgot to mention FFII since i hadn'tt played it back then.....
And i never mentioned FFX. I hated that.

Just to clear things up

Ultros0
01-30-2004, 12:14 AM
some people love one FF and hate another
and i quote Squaresoft "A version was given to players right at the very end of the development stage. I think the feedback from gamers should always be balanced - 50% for and 50% against. Why? Because when 100% of players are in total support of the game, it means they have seen it elsewhere... "

TheAbominatrix
01-30-2004, 01:16 AM
That's very true Ultros. We all have our reasons for liking or disliking IX. It's just, as you've proven, very few people can accept that their favorite game is regarded as other crap by their fellow games. As you proved already.

DocFrance
01-30-2004, 04:41 AM
Actually, I just like arguing for the sake of arguing.

Kuja124
01-30-2004, 02:04 PM
FFIX, FFVIII spoliers ahead.

The whole reason FF9 is better then FF8 is because characters can't do the same thing. Getting a new character in FF8 was pointless. They added nothing new because all six characters coudl use magic and Junctions.

In FF9, FF6, FF4, FF10 you get a new character and they do things that are different then someone else in the group.

That's why I dislike FF8. That is why FF9 is a better game. Because there is a reason I'm getting a new character.

FF5 I coudl make characters into what ever I wanted so I have know proble, there. Same with FF2, and FF1.

But FF8 ever one is the same. It's let's share the magic and Junctions.

TheAbominatrix
01-30-2004, 09:55 PM
I don't see why IX cant be judged by it's own merits, instead of being compared to every other FF.

Lord Xehanort
01-31-2004, 12:47 AM
FFIX was too cliche. Zidane didn't care that Kuja was gonna destroy the world. He was just following Garnet trying to 'get some'.

EveningCross
01-31-2004, 03:57 AM
I always thought that Zidane and crew looked more like carnies than medieval people but I still liked the game. Maybe that's what happened to some people. The game had a medieval feel but strange colors were used to make the characters giving them a sort of pastel-carney-easter feel.

Jack
01-31-2004, 01:06 PM
I don't see why IX cant be judged by it's own merits, instead of being compared to every other FF.

I surpose it's the only way to distinguish it to the other FFs. I guess that is the way you have to do it but......

GRAPHICS

FFIX's were good, compared to the games of that time. However, in the great scheem of things, it was a little of a let down simply because FF7 & FF8 had both employed that graphics system, and I kinda wanted it to try something else. It was like the Resident Evil series on PS1.

Resi 1 or FF7- A surprise hit from Japan in the west. people buy it loads. Siad to be one of the greatest games ever.

Res 2 or FF8- people buy it and are like "Eh?". While it's still good, some don't like the new feel and it does well, but not as well as it's older brother

Resi 3 or FFIX- Looks the same as the others, and thefore is not as impressive. Fails to have the same charm as the original (FF7) and it does well. The problem it has is simply, it doesn't look worked on, like a rushed sequel........

I thank you. (I actually liked Resi 2 better myself)

Ya see, i used Resident Evil to compare the FFs, do I like get a award?

But back to the matter at hand........

But FF8 ever one is the same. It's let's share the magic and Junctions.

True, but.....

They have different Limits
They have different weapons, that are better for different things

But i seee what you mean. But I like knowing I could play with the ones I wanted. So when I got Irvine & Rinoa they went on my team forever, because I liked them more than the others. I wasn't stuck playing as a person i though was a lame . That was my problem with FF4, When Cecil went Paladin, he was rubbish and I didn't want him. True, he got better but i wasn't happy being stuck pl;aying as a loser.....
FFIX was better in that instance since I could change them if i thought one was a loser. But you always had to make sure it was a balanced team. Not much stratigic there, and I liked that.
BUT I DID NOT LIKE HOW THEY GAINED ABILITIES.
It was childish, going back to the same style as FF7. I had moved on, i wanted them trying sonmething new. But the sat back in their chair (Squaresoft that is) and knocked a crappy abilities system.

Even if you didn't like FF8, then at least appreciate they tried something new.

Jentleness
01-31-2004, 03:22 PM
I loved it, enough said. :love:

Iceglow
01-31-2004, 04:11 PM
I think it is hated because the old skool style was considered dated after the hi-tech FF8 and 7. I however loved a trip down memory lane also the Tetra master was really crap compared to the simple yet addictive triple triad it was too confusing and the rules and card stats made no sense what soever plus if you ever got to the end of it there was a glitch.

Other than that the storywas too confusing for many but I liked the game

Kuja124
02-01-2004, 02:49 AM
But i seee what you mean. But I like knowing I could play with the ones I wanted. So when I got Irvine & Rinoa they went on my team forever, because I liked them more than the others. I wasn't stuck playing as a person i though was a lame . That was my problem with FF4, When Cecil went Paladin, he was rubbish and I didn't want him. True, he got better but i wasn't happy being stuck pl;aying as a loser.....
FFIX was better in that instance since I could change them if i thought one was a loser. But you always had to make sure it was a balanced team. Not much stratigic there, and I liked that.
BUT I DID NOT LIKE HOW THEY GAINED ABILITIES.
It was childish, going back to the same style as FF7. I had moved on, i wanted them trying sonmething new. But the sat back in their chair (Squaresoft that is) and knocked a crappy abilities system.

Even if you didn't like FF8, then at least appreciate they tried something new.

Yes they tried something new. But there really is no point in ever one using magic. I liked FF4 because people could only do different things. It really made me think more about what I was doing in battle. It also made me think about what I need to do before I went on.

If I needed to be at a level I was not at then I woudl work for it. If I had even four people in the group I still had to think about what was the best why to win a boss battle.

I remember fighting Mandy, Candy, and Sandy. I had to think more about what I was doing and not just attack because I could. I also had to make sure my level was high enough so I could face them.

In other words when I won. I knew I won because I worked for it. At time in FF8 I did not have to work ever hard to different a boss. That is unitl I got to the last boss. But even then...

Tetra master was really crap compared to the simple yet addictive triple triad it was too confusing and the rules and card stats made no sense what soever plus if you ever got to the end of it there was a glitch.

You see I thought so at first. But once I learnd what to do It was more fun then Triple Triad.

fesser
02-01-2004, 05:05 AM
oh god ppl your gunna make me cry, its was soo good, but it was better than X!

Jack
02-01-2004, 07:02 PM
oh god ppl your gunna make me cry, its was soo good, but it was better than X

Indeed. but FFX was a experiment with how to expand the FF series. no one can fight the fact taht the Asian inspired backgrounds were stunning and the relaxing feel of the game was interesting. still thought it wasn't GREAT.

But once I learnd what to do It was more fun then Triple Triad.

I discovered how to play that properly. And IMO it still sucked. They should have had another mini game. Not cards. Triple Triad was fun, wish it was a real game, with those cards, it was THAT good

I see what your saying about FF8 & FF4. but the difference is simply. FF4 is the past. Things change, and FF8 was that wave of change. Abruptly stopped by FFIX's stupid rock of crappiness.

Iceglow
02-02-2004, 03:10 PM
hmm well the fact is (other post short and not too sweet but written in one minute flat :whoa:

I like ff9 as i do all of the ff games but the problem with 9 was that with such a cloudy story line and some really bad puns (I thought I was gonna cry of sadness when some of the jokes came up they really made me weep with pity for the poor sod who wrote them) and a confusing mini game in the form of tetra master (which even once I understood and completed had seemed too much to bother to be fun compared to triple triad even if I had to play with random, sudden death, same + plus + same wall, and the trade rule was all and the only decent card in my hand were squall and Ifrit surrounded by level 1s ok)

Also there was a lack of suitable xp to get decent xp on the last disc you had to fight the yans yet to really be safe fighting one you had to be around level 60 - I completed the flaming game at level 35 - (another point too easy final bosses 35 is a shameful level especially seeing as unlike ff8 the enemies do not level up as you do)

K-chan
02-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Actually, I just like arguing for the sake of arguing.

lol! your not the only one!

Optium
02-15-2004, 04:46 AM
Someone once told me that all Final Fantasies suck
because they're all about a (few) protagonist(s) going
against a system of control that is oppressing them.
After taking a dropkick to the neck and waking up in the
hospital after being in a coma for 4 years, he found a
note super-glued to his face that read "No sh*t, Sherlock,
that's what EVERY dramatic story ever told is at its core."

What an >onion<hole.

.opt

American Badass
02-15-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Fallen_angel_666
I like ff9 as i do all of the ff games but the problem with 9 was that with such a cloudy story line

The storyline wasn't cloudy at all. For the first disk, you're trying to find the reasoning behind Brahne's desire to take over the entire Mist continent. In the second disk, you're trying to find out Kuja's involvement in the grand scheme of things. And essentially the third and fourth disks are your quest to stop Kuja. Now, I drastically oversimplified the entire game by that. But there's nothing cloudy during the first two disks at all. Granted, the last two disks deal mainly with the Zidane/Kuja/Terra/Gaia relationship.

And as far as the Terra/Gaia situation goes, I'll grant that the game doesn't give the full details of that particular story arch, but only cause its not essential to the grand scheme of things. You'd understand the Gaia/Terra relationship better if the Online Ultimania site was still up and running which provided pretty much all the details as long as you were willing to translate everything.

Originally posted by Fallen_angel_666
Also there was a lack of suitable xp to get decent xp on the last disc you had to fight the yans yet to really be safe fighting one you had to be around level 60 - I completed the flaming game at level 35 - (another point too easy final bosses 35 is a shameful level especially seeing as unlike ff8 the enemies do not level up as you do)

I've brought up this point before, but the reason you are able to beat FFIX at such low levels is because everything has drastically reduced HP limits compare to previous Final Fantasies. For example, Safer Sephiroth had approximately 150000 HP. Necron had only approximately 52000 HP. Sephiroth has nearly 3 times more HP than Necron does. So as far as FFIX goes, you gain suitable xp for battles compared to HP of the enemies you fight. If you gained more, you would go through the game faster and easier than you may already do.

midnyte_angel
02-27-2004, 09:31 AM
ff9 is really good... dunno y ppl keep dissin it (n yes i hav played ff7 n ff8)

TheAbominatrix
02-27-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by midnyte_angel
ff9 is really good... dunno y ppl keep dissin it (n yes i hav played ff7 n ff8)

Because we dislike it, and we gave many many reasons. Perhaps you'd like to read the thread sometime?

It's great that you've played VII and VIII, but there's a lot of great FF out there prior to and after the Playstation trio. Try those out too.

midnyte_angel
02-27-2004, 10:40 AM
It's great that you've played VII and VIII, but there's a lot of great FF out there prior to and after the Playstation trio. Try those out too.
um... me not having played the other ff's...
not bragging or nefin but jes letting u noe that i hav played and finished many other ff's
nes - (ff1-3), gb/a - (ff adventure, legend 1-3, ta), snes (ff1mq, 2, 3, 5), ps1 (ff4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, t, o)
but it's tru i've only played a bit of ffx n ffx-2

i still think that ff9 is a cool game otherwise i wudn't hav played it so much.
(i've gotten excalibur 2 n hav killed ozma on lv 1)

Jack
02-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Because we dislike it, and we gave many many reasons. Perhaps you'd like to read the thread sometime?

I agree with you there
In FFIX, I also disliked the apparant lack of challenge. Sure, FF8 was aslo easy, but with that, I had to learn a new magic system so it had some challenge. With 9, it was like slipping on a pair of old, smelly shoes that worked well once but I had to wear again, despite being given a shiny, sexy new trainers as well (FF8).
It was a step-back IMHO.

not bragging or nefin but jes letting u noe that i hav played and finished many other ff's

First point, your writing is kinda poor. This isn't a text messege, actually have some pride in what you write.

2: So what? So has most of us, it doesn't really matter that you had or not, simply saying that it's a great game without ANY reasons is pointless. Why do you like it, just saying "It's a great game" is unfounded. Everyone has a opinion, express yours sometime.

some really bad puns (I thought I was gonna cry of sadness when some of the jokes came up they really made me weep with pity for the poor sod who wrote them) and a confusing mini game in the form of tetra master (which even once I understood and completed had seemed too much to bother to be fun compared to triple triad even if I had to play with random, sudden death, same + plus + same wall, and the trade rule was all and the only decent card in my hand were squall and Ifrit surrounded by level 1s ok)

The puns were crap. That is fact, it was never funny.
The Card Game was kinda disapointing after FF8's but to be fair, it did have a lot of other ones, unlike FF8 which focussed on the TT. Still, Quality Over Quantity.

midnyte_angel
02-27-2004, 11:06 AM
In FFIX, I also disliked the apparant lack of challenge. Sure, FF8 was aslo easy, but with that, I had to learn a new magic system so it had some challenge.
If you have time you should really try to do some of these things. Sure they aren't impossibly hard but i think they'll provide you with a bit of a "challenge". And yes I have done them all.
FF8 - kill omega weapon without your party having leveled up (strange but he's still on lv100 even though my party's average was like lv9)
FF9 - kill ozma with lv1 party, get excalibur 2

TheAbominatrix
02-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by midnyte_angel
nes - (ff1-3), gb/a - (ff adventure, legend 1-3, ta), snes (ff1mq, 2, 3, 5), ps1 (ff4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, t, o)

Ah, I inferred from your previous statements that you had only played the Playstation games, my apologies.

And that's cool, I'm glad a lot of people like it, but as they say, you cant please all of the people all of the time. I cant stand it, personally.

Trumpet Thief
05-06-2004, 12:19 AM
I didn't really enjoy this game.

For one thing, the the majority of the minigames involved pressing one button repeatedly. The chocobo game was good, I'll admit that, the hourglass was okay, but the rest were just a pain in the arse.

Also, the Necron thing just pissed me off. Firstly, this game was about liufe and death, but couldn't they have said even one thing about him?

But the most annoying part was just a certain group of people just suddenly come together to fight evil. Ugh...

I'll admit though, that since it was my first Final Fantasy I had enjoyed it. But after I had discovered FFVI and FFVII and VIII, I realised that it wasn't that good. I had to force myself to play it a second time, and a gave up right when I started.

Another reasn, was the rate of random battles. They came too much. You step three times, and suddenly, you get into a fight with a flan.

Kuja was an okay villan, but compared to Sephiroth and Kefka, I thought he was nothing.

Just my opinion of course; don't get too worked up about it.

Clyde Arronway
05-07-2004, 03:48 AM
Its a wonderful game but unfortunatly it dies halfway through. There's nothing on the extra continents. I want some monsterous civilizations or somthing. And the problem is the VII curse. FFVI made perfect sense. Granded there were some secrets that took games to catch like (Spoiler) my name. Clyde is shadow's name, arronwy is relm's last name. That's because he's her father. Seven made little to no sense, it took me three games to get it. I still don't get eight because I can't bear to go through that confusion again. I love 9, but I have no idea what's going on. It's kinda because 9 is a mix of all the previous FF's. Almost everything comes from one beforehand. listen to the gulgur volcano music. It's a slower newer version of the volcano commonly called gurgu from FFI. and the crystle thing at the end was a nice attempt to put somthing in that hasn't been in for four games, but did it make any sense to anyone?

aeris2001x2
05-07-2004, 09:21 AM

question...how in the hell can ozma be killed at lv 1? that is absolutly insane and beyond rational thought. i,m not gonna dismiss it out right but please enlighten me...

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
05-07-2004, 11:57 AM
i loved everything....it was building and building up hype and i loved it until
.The final boss..very anticlimatic if u ask me..

The ending was fine its fatal flaw turned out to be its final boss...

golden_queen_mercury
05-07-2004, 02:16 PM
I loved FF9. This is my favorite game on the playstation out of all of them. The storyline is wonderful, the battle system is superb. The music is very magical. And you can beat it within a couple of days. It's a fairly easy game. I love it all the way. :)

Del Murder
05-08-2004, 07:02 AM
Someone here said the FFIX was the reward to people who've played all the old games, and I think they are right. I liked the game and had a lot of fun playing it, which is the most important thing to me.

aeris2001x2
05-10-2004, 08:40 PM
i loved everything....it was building and building up hype and i loved it until
.The final boss..very anticlimatic if u ask me..

The ending was fine its fatal flaw turned out to be its final boss...

how can fighting death incarnate be an anti-climax?
true, he appeared out of no where, but he explains why hes there and completes the dark edge the story line has.

not to mention he is actually the hardest ff last boss i have ever fought. not that he is hard, but relative to kefka, seraph sephiroth, ultimecia etc he owns in terms of hardness.

Az Lionheart
05-10-2004, 08:44 PM
there was no point in the final boss what so ever!

Laguna
05-10-2004, 08:58 PM
i think i about summed this up in the FF12 bit. Go take a look.

Az Lionheart
05-10-2004, 09:05 PM
looked and answered!

Lamia
05-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Haha. I don't know. But yeah, I love Final Fantasy 9. I think the sequence of events were extremely organized for Final Fantasy...
nothing felt mushy.

Also the game has the best dialogue in Final Fantasy history.

Anyway, what people don't like about FInal Fantasy 9?

Well I asked a guy (who is a big FFX fanatic, btw) why he hated it and he said... "I didn't like the story".. WHAT THE HELL? FFIX's story
is so much like X's it isn't even funny. Ugh. :mad:

Inuyasha23
05-16-2004, 04:54 PM
I love FF9 too, but I guess the reason so mnay people dislike it is cause it wasn't some were expecting. Thtas the way I was I tryed it when it first came out I was like "This is crap!" "Thats Stupid! whydoes he have a tail." And also Zidane wasn't your typical hero type. Thats what I think. People where think it was going to be something else then what it was. I don't really think that many people hate FF9 it just they think it's just alright and nothing great.

first of all where the :love::love::love::love::love: were you educated? I've seen dogs with better grammer and most likely a superior intellect. Secondly i don't think that the tail was a surprize since it's kind of on the front of the case. Third and last comes the point i've been trying to make for some time now. IX is not the game you should hate, X is. What a piece of crap that was. and then they make a sequal of it. I think we found the worst part of the best series ever made, and his name is tidus...the fag in yellow.

Del Murder
05-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Watch the flaming and swearing, Inuyasha23. We don't allow bad language or insulting of other members at this message board, so please clean it up.

Zephyroth
05-17-2004, 10:03 AM
I been playing final fantasys now for about 3 years and i started like most with FF7. I loved 7 so much i didnt think any other would intrest me then i played 4 then 6 then 5 then 10 and finally i bought 9 and although ive only started it (still on first disc) i love it. The charecters are just as intriguing as 7s were, just in a different way. The cutesiness and all that is fine if your mature enough to handle it, and all in all its the funniest FF and one of the best feeling FF. 7 really makes you think a lot and feel really awful, 9 is a more freeing game and makes you happy (so far for me that is dont spoil it).

Rusty
05-17-2004, 03:47 PM
I got turned off FF9 coz off zidanes tail...i could eal with everything esle and was actually starting to enjoy it..but everytime i saw that tail i say "what were they thinking!!??!!"

Trumpet Thief
05-22-2004, 05:08 AM
Exactly what I think, RustyAngel.

Starcrest
05-22-2004, 06:10 AM
here here

Rusty
05-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks!

UltimateSpamGrover
05-22-2004, 05:10 PM
FFIX is my second favorite, first is FFXI. I like how FFIX goes back to the gameplay of FFI-V And takes the graphics for FFVII-FFVIII

Trumpet Thief
05-23-2004, 07:40 AM
(Many Spoilers Ahead)

Some reasons why I hate FFIX (And some positive things). Remember, all of these are in my opinion, and even though I have not marked it as "IMO" or "IMHO" I just want you to know ahead of time, before you want to flame that this is just my opinion. It doesn't matter too much, so don't get too worked up about it.

Characters:

Zidane - Just a bit after saving Garnet in the Evil Forest, after the Ice Cavern, when the group arrives to the village of Dali, when everyone is getting on the airship after defeating Black Walts # 2, Zidane.. uhh.. "feels" Garnet's butt. Although many people said it was accidentally, the line "Oooh... Soft..." disgusted me. Next, Zidane was actually weak, compared to all the other main characters in the Final Fantasy series. I know that FFIX was designed to have the enemies have lesser HP, with the characters not doing that much damage, but I wish Grand Lethal did more than just the maximum damage. Although that would have been weird with the amount of HP the Final Boss, Ozma, and the other high HP bosses have, if they had raised their HP, then Zidane would have been stronger. Compare Zidane's Ultimate attack to Cloud's Omnislash, Squall's Lionheart, and Tidus' Blitz Ace. Next thing to say is that Zidane acted very annoying at times. ALthough he actually seemed like quite a great leader, his sudden change in Pandemonia was really akward. It was like Square-Enix was trying to make a crappy character suddenly seem cool. Although, the music in the backround (You're Not Alone) absolutely rocked. Also, it bugged me that Zidane had a tail. Although I knew that all Genomes are supposed to have tails, I would preferred that Zidane had hidden it, or chopped it off or something, kind of like Kuja.

Garnet- She was actually a great character. She was one of the only ones that actually looked normal, and was able to defend herself. Basically, there is nothing wrong with her.

Vivi- He was a deep character, developed at the perfect times, with a great reason to join the group. His story, to me, was actually quite heroic. How he wanted to free the Black Mages, and tell them not to believe Kuja. The scene on the Airship was magnificent as well. One of my favorite Final Fantasy characters.

Freya - From what I think, one of the crappiest chracters ever. She looked like a freaking rat, her story with Sir Fratley was retarded, and barely even told, and her story about leaving Burmecia was not intelligent either. Although, her attitude was alright, I would get annoyed whenever she would say "Oh Sir Fratley, where are you?"

Eiko - An alright character. I liked her backround about being a summoner, and living in Madien Saira. She would act older than her age. A good character.

Quina - I hate this character with a passion. I don't know if she is a boy or a girl, but she is stupid. Her obsession of food was stupid, she would refer to that all the time. Her weapon wasn't original, it was just retarded:

Quina: Me eat you with fork, and learn Blue Magic

Grand Dragon: Oh no, it is Quina with her all powerful Fork!

Amarant: He looks like a rooster. 'Nuff said.

Storyline:

I will admit, the conspiracy with Queen Brahne and the Tantalus group was exciting at first. I enjoyed parts of it, as it was my first Final Fantasy. Everything was going fine, until Oeilvert. It was kind of stupid how Zidane had to comply with Kuja, and go there. Also, the whole Terra thing came out of nowhere. We had not even heard of it before. It could have been slightly explained by Dr.Tot or something. Nextly, adding the Crystal to the plot was stupid as well. If no one had known about it, how could've Kuja known? And what the heck was Memoria anyway? The ending was too happy too. Although FFVIII's was the same, it wasn't as predictable. Because of what happened in FFVIII,like Squall's depression and all, I didn't think he was going to make it. Also, the scene when Squall was hallucinating, and he saw Rinoa as Ultimecia brought up the Rinoa = Ultimecia theory, not exactly making your kind of happy ending. Although, in FFIX, you could tell that Zidane would turn up. I was actually kind of hoping that when Zidane yelled "bring my precious Dagger to me" that someone would chuck a dagger at him, since only the FFIX posse knew her fake name.

Battle System

As said by people in the before thread entitled "FFIX is the worst FF ever!!", the battle system was too simple. You fight an enemy, gain gil, buy new weapon, equip the ability, and repeat. Also, leveling up was simple. Also, people misunderstand FFVIII and VII's Junction and Materia system. In FFVIII, you would first have to learn the junction Attack, Defense, HP etc. abilities before being able to strengthen those. Even after, you would have to find rare draws to strengthen those to the max. In FFIX, you just train for an hour, and you go fight a boss.

I will probably add more things, but for now, these are my reasons. Remember, it is just my opinion, don't mind it too much!

The Captain
05-23-2004, 08:05 AM
I believe a "problem" for lack of a more definite term, is that FFIX seemed to be a little more happy-go-lucky for most of the game. Most of the other FF's felt darker and seemed to have heavier moments than FFIX. I believe, that Square did this, firstly to attempt to appeal to a new generation of gamers as it was a tribute to the earlier games and thus had to sort of encompass a lot; and, also to appeal to younger gamers who might not enjoy darker, more mature themes.

I actually greatly enjoyed the game because it felt so light-hearted to me. It's probably the only FF I can play and never get board of walking around towns because the colors are SO vibrant and everyone generally seems cheerful.

It had a very different feel than the FF games many had come to expect. Not childish per se, but a lot less weighty for the most part.

Take care all.

Armisael
05-23-2004, 08:25 PM
ffix is the best final fantasy ever.the plot,the characters,the music,and the ending were all perfect! ;) :tongue:

Kuja124
05-28-2004, 03:22 AM
Battle System

As said by people in the before thread entitled "FFIX is the worst FF ever!!", the battle system was too simple. You fight an enemy, gain gil, buy new weapon, equip the ability, and repeat. Also, leveling up was simple. Also, people misunderstand FFVIII and VII's Junction and Materia system. In FFVIII, you would first have to learn the junction Attack, Defense, HP etc. abilities before being able to strengthen those. Even after, you would have to find rare draws to strengthen those to the max. In FFIX, you just train for an hour, and you go fight a boss.

My problem with FF VII's battle system is not with the Junction. I know how to use that. My problem with it is that all the characters can summom . Ever one can use magic. Ever one kind of does the same thing. There is nothing different. What is the point in getting a new character? If they can do the same thing as the first person.

FF IX has people do different things. That's what makes it feel like a true RPG. You have a Thief, a Black Mage, Two white Mages that can do different things. They can also call different summons. You have a knight, a fighter, etc. You don't have that in FF VIII. Where is the person that is just your Thief? Where is the person that just summons? Why is ever one doing the same thing?

As for story. FF VIII felt like it was becoming a bad Dawson's Creek Ep. It really did. I don't want some guy who is always donw in the dumps. I don't want three different people who like each other etc. It does not feel like a Final Fantasy game in any way shap of form. It's only Final Fantasy in name. That's about it.

Trumpet Thief
06-10-2004, 05:29 AM
*Many FFIX Spoilers Ahead*

Remember, all of this is just my opinion...

More Reasons of why I hate FFIX:

Music: Some of it was good, for example, You're Not Alone was by far one of my most favorite FInal Fantasy songs; same with Loss of Me, the battle theme was okay, but after a while got annoying. THe World Map music was really annoying, and sohuld have been something more original, not a Melodies of Life instrumental, for they alread had Garnet's theme. Some other battle theme's were okay, for example, Dark Messenger. Overall, some music was good, some music was bad.

Weapons: I liked the dagger and staff, I know that. I think Square really had an "imagination" when they chose weapons IMO, for example, I broke down into laughter when I saw Eiko hit the enemy with a flute. The Wolverine style claws for Amarant were okay, but I would have liked a large sword for him instead, would have looked cooler. Steiner had a good weapon, same with Vivi, although I didn't like Freya's spear, for the attacks were weak, and the jump attack was crap, unless it was used for surviving or something, but whatever.

Summons: (I'm only going to describe a few)

Firstly, Ifrit looked like a dog with horns from what I think. THe graphics were a bit shaky as well, but it was considered okay, nothing too shabby.

Shiva was okay, pretty good. Although, I found Ark's animation way too long, it was annoying. Madeen looked cool though, Terra homing was an awfully good attack.

Villains:

I loved the conspiracy at the beginning of the game, I got really pshyched up. The first time I saw Kuja, I thought "Wow, that guy is gonna be an awfully hard boss later in the game" . It was fun for a while, until the game did, what I think, a complete screw up.

I Laughed as Kuja made his comments about the elephant lady and all, and I laughed as fat Queen Brahne got owned by Kuja, but it was annoying in Oeilvert, and Ih ated the four guardians. I was hoping that Zorn adn thorn would just be for comic relief, but sadly, we had to face MultiGemini instead. Eventually, the whole Terra thing came in way too fast. It would have been better if Terra could be seen, but was impossible to reach.

Next, it was too predictable. Who couldn't tell that Kuja would end up being a good guy and dying in Zidane arms. Who wouldn't have thought that Zidane would have survived? Some people might have, but I found that too predictable.

For the Final Boss, there should have been like an insane kja or something. Basically, Kuja being controlled by his own power, engulfed by darkness itself, instead of Necron. Necron was a very easy final boss, but then again, it was just about leveling up. Many other final bosses (Ultemecia, Sephiroth, Kefka, Neo X-Death) could be easily owned by having the party level up like hell.

Remember, it's just my opinion...

Starcrest
06-10-2004, 05:35 AM
yeah the game was alright, the plot was kinda iffy though IMO, like there was nothing attempting to destroy the world, or nething to the magnitude

little devil
06-10-2004, 02:06 PM
i love it *snip*!!!!!!!!!!

No insulting other members, everyone is entitled to their view on the game. Show some respect for that, please. ~ Xander

aeris2001x2
06-10-2004, 06:23 PM
yeah the game was alright, the plot was kinda iffy though IMO, like there was nothing attempting to destroy the world, or nething to the magnitude

hmmm, i seem to recall Kuja destroying terra and both him and necron being close to destroying the life crystal and ending all life...

Pete577
06-10-2004, 08:10 PM
I love a lot of Final Fantasy games, even Final Fantasy Adventure for the Game Boy. My favorite Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy IX, it is also one of my favorite games of all time. I also love Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 7, 6, 5, 4, 2, but for some reason I didnt like 1....

aeris2001x2
06-10-2004, 08:15 PM
i think u should add 1 and get rid of 2, other wise i will have to recommend a sanitarium. :D

FFIXSavannah
06-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Well all I can say is that I LOVE FF9 it's my favorite FinalFantasy out of the series.

Pete577
06-13-2004, 08:48 PM
I dont see why people need to flame. Positive opinions are better than negetive ones, so why include the negetive ones anyway? I hate it, (even when its in the case of an FF9 fan saying that another FF sucks) when someone says, "that game sucked!" Its not like everyone in the world is going to agree with you. But, to be fair, I do agree with some negetive opinions.

Trumpet Thief
07-12-2004, 12:13 AM
I dont see why people need to flame. Positive opinions are better than negetive ones, so why include the negetive ones anyway? I hate it, (even when its in the case of an FF9 fan saying that another FF sucks) when someone says, "that game sucked!" Its not like everyone in the world is going to agree with you. But, to be fair, I do agree with some negetive opinions.

Who was been flaming? Everyone has differing opinions, there is nothing wrong with that. Even those who hate FFIX have been giving some positive things about it, but it's not like everyone MUST love the game, and should only compliment it. Even those who try to like it can't. People have different tastes, so you should accept that. Not to be mean or anything though. Some people love certain games, while others hate them.

Anyways, about FFIX. I know that in FFVII and FFVIII people can all be the same, and not be seperated from eachother with differing abilities (Besides limit breaks and weapons) but like Legolas has said, would you want to play as someone you hated, just because they have a certain ability that you may need? Another thing, I never found it wrong that everyone could do the same thing. But it's all based on someone's opinion.

Although people could also be distinguished in FFVI, for they could only use abilities, I loved all the characters so didn't mind. Yet again, all based on people's opinion. Since there is no right or wrong answer to this, people should accept the fact that some people hate it, respect their views, and not think that they are right whenever they are stating opinions.

As for stating about FFVIII that only Squall and Rinoa had greatly developed, and the other hadn't really, what about FFIX?

Sure Zidane changed after Pandemonium, and Garnet had learned to cope with problems. Vivi had greatly developed as well, but what about the rest of them? Quina just continued loving food, and the only reason she went to travel with anyone was to find fooid from different places to eat. Amarant had sorta changed after Zidane and him had that man to man talk in Ipsen's castle, but it was nothing much. Freya would keep going on and on about Sir Fratley for the whole game, thank god she finally got him back at the end of the game so she could shut up. I didn't notice too much about Eiko, for I do not remember too much about her. Same goes with Steiner.

Overall, in my opinion, FF is bad as an FF game, but great as a game standing alone. Compared to other FF's IMO it was bad; Compared to regular games it rocked!

UltimateSpamGrover
07-12-2004, 05:09 AM
you only hate FFIX if you want to hate it...and if you hate FFIX, you probably hate FF I-VI... but think whatever you want to think... I dont care..

aeris2001x2
07-12-2004, 05:26 AM
no, realise the truth...direct hate to ffII, true game of unrestrained evil...

UltimateSpamGrover
07-12-2004, 05:32 AM
right, and Santa is at your doorstep...

Trumpet Thief
07-12-2004, 05:51 AM
you only hate FFIX if you want to hate it...and if you hate FFIX, you probably hate FF I-VI... but think whatever you want to think... I dont care..

Just because I hate FFIX doesn't mean I hate FFI-VI! FFIV and VI are my absolute favorites.

UltimateSpamGrover
07-12-2004, 05:53 AM
then you obviously hate FFIX because you want to be "cool"

Trumpet Thief
07-12-2004, 06:06 AM
What the hell are you talking about? I have stated why I hated FFIX in previous posts, and it has nothing to be "cool".

UltimateSpamGrover
07-12-2004, 06:14 AM
whatever... its nothing to scream about

Trumpet Thief
07-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Whatever...

Kuja124
07-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Sure Zidane changed after Pandemonium, and Garnet had learned to cope with problems. Vivi had greatly developed as well, but what about the rest of them? Quina just continued loving food, and the only reason she went to travel with anyone was to find fooid from different places to eat. Amarant had sorta changed after Zidane and him had that man to man talk in Ipsen's castle, but it was nothing much. Freya would keep going on and on about Sir Fratley for the whole game, thank god she finally got him back at the end of the game so she could shut up. I didn't notice too much about Eiko, for I do not remember too much about her. Same goes with Steiner.

Quina learned that there is mroe to the world then just food. Amarant learned that you can't always just go it alone. Freya learned how to be with out the one she loved. Eiko learned that you can't always get what you want. Steiner learned that he should not just fallow someone because they are in power.

Trumpet Thief
07-13-2004, 12:14 AM
Quina learned that there is mroe to the world then just food. Amarant learned that you can't always just go it alone. Freya learned how to be with out the one she loved. Eiko learned that you can't always get what you want. Steiner learned that he should not just fallow someone because they are in power.

Quina did? From what I remember, food was all she thought aobut, and wouldn't even mention something different than it. Steiner and Eiko I didn't quite remember though. But as for Freya, most of the time she would just whine about Fratley, and be saddened whenever she remembered that he had forgotten her. But then again, I do not remember FFIX that much, and am saying everything from my memory.

escobert
07-13-2004, 10:40 AM
I loved 1-7 and I've hated all of them since then.

Polaris
07-13-2004, 11:44 AM
I enjoyed playing FF9 but I think that the battle system of FF8 is better is different, but I don't hate FF9 specially the ned it was so great! Lots of Vivi in the end!

DJZen
07-17-2004, 07:17 AM
It's a nice game, and it has great moments, but it really didn't capture that old-school feel for me. I'm not sure why, but I think it's just a "you can't go home again" sorta thing. I don't think that it sucked in comparison to its playstation contemporaries though. The ability system wasn't as complicated as Materia or Junctioning, but it wasn't supposed to be. I wasn't thrilled about having to get abilities from equipment (what kinda sense does that even make anyway?) since I was constantly having to use inferior equipment until I learned whatever ability before bringing out the cool new sword I just synthesized. I definitely liked the plot though. The overarching story was the same old same old, but I loved the caracter interaction (especially the "male ritual" scene). I think that's really what did it for me. Steiner's relationship with Garnet, Zidane's relationship with the members of Tantalus, and of course, the black mages. Oh man, I LOVED the black mages. Don't ask why, I just did.

-N-
07-17-2004, 07:41 AM
Just didn't cut it. Felt faked and underdone, like gluing together FFVIII's love formula with a traditional "chase the bad guy" plot. Half-hearted, inaccessible characters (save Vivi and perhaps Zidane) due to their two-dimensionality. Any death and destruction was downplayed, focused too much on too little. S1999AD will jump on this, but I probably won't respond, so don't bother. I only posted because this thread was most recently posted in from the main page.

Trumpet Thief
07-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Okay, I am replaying this game. Although I can still see many flaws, it's pretty good. I'm at the part where you guys are going to the Iifa tree with Eiko to get an Eidolion.

Mr. Rothgar
07-21-2004, 05:17 PM
People don't like the game cuz Kuja is a pussy--he wears that upside down thong dress thingy and he looks like a complete dope on the FMVs....FF6 had the greatest villain in the series, FF7 had the coolest villain in the series, FF8 didnt try to have a villain--and kind of made seifer a pseudo-badass sephiroth u could relate to and use--but at least they didnt create a weak villain---Kuja has no personel connection to the characters--like sephiroth--nore is he insane like Kefka---FF8 was smart enough to realize they oculdnt make a supervillain so they didnt--FF9 did--and they failed miserably--i laughed rediculously the first time i saw kuja--he never burned down nibelheim or poisoned doma and i suspect that left a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths

American Badass
07-22-2004, 04:20 AM
Kuja has no personel connection to the characters--like sephiroth--nore is he insane like Kefka
So I guess that the fact that he was essentially a "brother" to Zidane and was meant to be replaced by him, took control of Bahamut and killed Garnet's mother and rained mass destruction on Alexandria, created and manipulated Vivi's black mage "brothers", was was indirectly responsible for the razing of Burmecia and the complete destruction of Cleyra means he has no personal connection to any characters.

Oh, and I guess him finding out he was soon going to die and decided to bring the rest of the world with him doesn't border on the psychotic either.

he never burned down nibelheim or poisoned doma and i suspect that left a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths
No, he just completely destroyed what was left of an entrie planet. And he was responsible for the razing of Burmecia, the attacks on Lindblum and Alexandria, and the total annihilation of Cleyra.

-N-
07-22-2004, 08:16 AM
So I guess that the fact that he was essentially a "brother" to Zidane and was meant to be replaced by him, took control of Bahamut and killed Garnet's mother and rained mass destruction on Alexandria, created and manipulated Vivi's black mage "brothers", was was indirectly responsible for the razing of Burmecia and the complete destruction of Cleyra means he has no personal connection to any characters.

Oh, and I guess him finding out he was soon going to die and decided to bring the rest of the world with him doesn't border on the psychotic either.

Yeah, I guess not. Too bad you're not sure. :D

Mr. Rothgar
07-22-2004, 05:05 PM
They tried to clean the whole thing up at the end tho being like ohhhh hes ur brother oh ur from the same race blah blah blah--but there was no tangible reason why ziddane should hate and despise Kuja besides the fact that he was bein noble--there was no personal reason to despise him---cloud had nibelheim--it was his town his home--he remembers fightin sephiroth after a time--Cyan had doma, Terra had Leo, Edgar and Sabin had their father's assasination, Celes had her desire to fix what she allowed to go wrong--and Kefka didnt try to destroy the world--he did--he banished it into the world of ruin

garnett and vivi had a much more tangible reason to despise kuja--but then did anyone really like the queen?...and what was so important about the mages?

alll im tryin to say is i finished the game wondering why Ziddane was so hell bent on beatin kuja's ass and that's never a good thing for a game--i played it trhough like i did all the other FFs, but to be honest its the only one that i never had a desire to replay...and now that uve brought up all these points about how great a game it was (personaly i think its the worst of any ffs....) im prob gonna have to replay it

American Badass
07-22-2004, 08:15 PM
I never said Zidane should hate Kuja. All I did was point out the relationship between Kuja and Zidane. And in fact, Kuja was supposed to be the one who hated Zidane, not the other way around. Zidane was created to be smarter, stronger, and all around just plain better than Kuja. Kuja hated and loathed the fact that he could be so easily replaced at the whim of Garland, and it's Kuja's hatred of both Zidane and Garland which drives him to do the things he did.

Zidane was so hell bent on beating Kuja because he saw the pain and suffering Kuja was causing his friends. That's a big part of Zidane's character (whether people will admit to it or not, but I'm not going to argue that point), he generally cares for other people. Does he think of himself before other people sometimes? Yes. All sentient creatures do. But when his friends need him, he's there. When Garnet is in trouble, he goes to her. When Armarant doesn't come out of Ispen's Castle, Zidane goes to check up on him. When Freya rushes to Burmecia, Zidane opts to go along. When Vivi needs cheering up, Zidane does his best to get the job done. So while he didn't have all the personal motives of revenge for going after the bad guy like all the characters you listed, Zidane instead does what he does to support his friends, and because he knows its for the greater good.

And as far as Garnet and Vivi go. You ask if anyone really liked the Queen Brahne. Garnet did. Garnet loved Brahne even after finding out Brahne wasn't even her real mother. Just because the Brahne we see in the game is cold hearted, doesn't mean she was always that way. In fact, Garnet and some of the citizens of Alexandria outright say that the queen was a caring and compassionate woman before her husband died and Kuja started manipulating her.

As for the black mages, we have approximately two dozen of them who gain self-awareness and seek solitude to learn and grow. Except that they were created witht he curse of having severly limited lifespans. They grow to understand that stopping equates to death, and have to learn to try an accept that, an issue Vivi also has to understand. Enter Kuja who tricks and manipulates these sentient beings with alluring promises on extending their lives, and many of the mages are tricked into believing him until they realize his lies after he treats them like utter cannon fodder the entire time, and at the end of their usefulness to them, laugh and insult them calling them fools for being so easily manipulated despite the fact that they have the minds of children. That is what the black mages essentially are: children. And that's plenty of motivation for Vivi to stop Kuja.

Polyonymous
07-22-2004, 09:22 PM
nicely put american badass, ive noticed there isnt much inbetween with this game, either you like it or you dont. I say its the best in the serries others say its the worst. It all depends on what type of games you like, the humor in FFIX sets this game apart from the others in the seires and gives the game a lot more of its own style. Nobody wants to play a final fantasy game that is to much like one of the others.

starlet
07-24-2004, 02:19 PM
I dont really place one ff over the other...I like them all equally. and theres certain thing in each one that i like more than others such as the music in IX- I think it has the best soundtrack over any ff.

BorIzEE27
08-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Too kiddy.....

Snappie88
08-07-2004, 12:15 AM
It's the same as me and FFVIII. I hate it while others love it.
Yup, totally right.

Except for one thing. I like all Final Fantasy's! (at least for the ones I played)

bkkguy
08-07-2004, 01:16 AM
For one thing, I don't think this is the most hated FF in the series (Go and check on FFX-2 forum to see what I'm talking about). For me, anyway, FF9 is a good game but it is probably not the best in the series by far. What really bother me about this game is the storyline. No, it isn't bad or anything. I did not get the sense of completion at the ending. It is like something is missing there just can not explain it. Nevertheless, I really enjoy the game. Vivi is one of the best character in the whole series.

Pine
08-07-2004, 01:47 AM
Too kiddy.....

*dies of laughter*

LOL .... you're joking, right?

:rolleyes2

UltimateSpamGrover
08-07-2004, 01:51 AM
Too kiddy.....

Thats actually Kingdom Hearts, FFIX is not the worst, FFX-2 is

aeris2001x2
08-07-2004, 02:08 AM
no its non of the above. play ffII(jap) and tell me ffVIII, IX and even X-2 are worse then that? i bet u cant (i gotta stop these anti ffII rants)

BorIzEE27
08-07-2004, 04:25 AM
*dies of laughter* LOL....you're joking, right?

The main characters a monkey right?

UltimateSpamGrover
08-07-2004, 12:53 PM
The main characters a monkey right?

mithras have tails too...

well anyways, Zidane is a genome, but Sora has a duck and a talking dog in his party O_o

Wilder
08-07-2004, 08:32 PM
IX was the only FF game that I bought almost exactly when it came out, you could fell the heat, and It was just addictive. I don´t care the children orientation (rope game for example), I enjoy it like a player and not like a FF fan, and then It became a real FF Game after I finished it. I don´t like the fact that the story was closed complety straight at the end, I want misteries to solve !, talk about the game for years !, for example... I´m working right on my theory about Zidane , It explains how he was born in the planet vegita, he is the Brother of Son gokou , and if you really noticed it , Kuja looks like freezer with Vegeta personality ! What a mistery !, something got to explain that tail !.

Blank
08-08-2004, 07:13 PM
honestly, i hated 9 at first too. donno why, just did. but like a month ago my bro bought it and so i said 'what the hell' and played it. now it's just another FF game i love. if anything, the tides have turned and now i don't like 8...it pisses me off. haha
(8 was a good game, but i played it when i was too young to do a good job at junctioning so lots of memories of frustration)

Lionx
08-13-2004, 12:01 PM
I remember buying my PS2, and never having a PSX, quickly snagged all of these games up before FFX was released, and out of them all IX was one of the highest ones ranked in which i like, maybe its because i played the old ones and i felt that your "kiddy" feelings to the game didnt apply, and that it was a nicely done FF.

Anyway i have no idea why any of you are so hell bent of hating Zidane for his tail. I for one like it, its unique, something DIFFERENT. A human main character has been done many many times. A tail although is a minor change, made me like it a bit more that it is different than the rest. Not to mention it added to some of the humour in the game. Hating a character just for the tail is a pretty...weak reason to hate something..O.o Something different always will catch my eye and make me think. Plus why do we want the same thing all the time? What happened to innovation?

Bloody_Valentine
08-25-2004, 08:47 PM
I personally, think 9 is great. Not as good as 7, but still good. I liked the characters, the story, the gameplay, everything.

Jolts
08-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Too much chatter.

I've stated my opinion.

NightfallInfernal
08-26-2004, 03:41 AM
I loved IX I found it much more fun and rewarding than any other in the series VII is up there but IX still wins ;)

Lon611
08-26-2004, 04:46 AM
b4 i voice my opinion let me just say each ff forum seems to manage to have one thread about "this game doesn't suck so stop saying so, i don't understand". hell, i made one about ffx. it's cald "why do u hate this so". go check it out. ok, enuf advertising, lol.

ffix was my first ff, n i beat it without a walkthrough or nething. i didn't know about side quests/suber (super+uber=suber, lol) bosses. the thing that got me was, it was 2 long. i love ffix, but it was sort of, lets go play mini games the entire first disk. DON"T FLAME ME. i thought it was great how the plot went from "kidnap the princess even though nothing's really wrong with nething, just her mom's actin funny" to "terra is a giant planet eating...uh...planet, that takes over the lifestream of each planet and forces its' own, n if it continues it'l destroy the universe....blah blah blah... :blahblah:" i loved that. everything had a driving force behind it. also, the music was awesome, and at the time it was graphically invincible. but, i never really played ff b4, so i cudn't appreciate all the allusions it had to other ff's...

but the ending didn't make sense to me. i luved the ending, but i thought terra was going to assimilate gaia. wouldn't tht be a better ending than, "let's get married/be together finally" iuno. it always bugged me not knowing what happend 2 the assimilation....ne1 care to explain?maybe il start my own thread...

but gameplay wise it's a lil tiresome. do this minigame. blah. but it was still entertaining. ZORN AND THORN PRIDE WOOP WOOP. lol

overall, i luvd this game, but it's not one of the better ones (vi, vii, x, and what's giong to be xii) DON"T FLAME ME saying "how cud u say x was better?" well, that list is according to ME. blah, i type a lot. :mad:

Mr. Rothgar
08-26-2004, 02:58 PM
ffIX is the flaming homosexual basterdized son of the final fantasy series and it should be treated as such--a "return to oldschool" was simply a rehashment of the supermario save the princess plot line--and teh overall sequence of the story was uninteresting at best--square could have done a lot better with this one--but hey--everyone makes mistakes

aeris2001x2
08-27-2004, 05:34 PM
wow, u have strong opinions on ffIX Mr. Rothgar :rolleyes2 .

personally, i think ffIX is a beautiful game. then again i rank ffI,IV,V,VIII,IX and X all equally.

Del Murder
08-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Personally I didn't think the game lacked anything. Sure, it's been done better, but this was a great installment. Four stars ****

Perhaps the worst thing about it was the summons, I just didn't find them very useful. But it wasn't as bad as FFVI summons and that was the greatest video game ever made. At least the two summoners had whit magic to make up for it, that being my favorite ability :D.