PDA

View Full Version : Blitzball, a sports game?

haravikk
07-31-2003, 03:11 PM
One of the things I loved (and still enjoy) about Final Fantasy X was blitzball, it's simple but fun and I personally can enjoy myself playing just blitzball sometimes. I think it would make an excellent game in its own right if released with a few changes.

First would be graphics, with the game concentrating on Blitzball graphics for it could be much better, tons of water sparkle :)

Players and teams would be far more plentiful, instead of captaining the Besaid Aurochs you would create your own team made of players you find.

Finding players would still be done by exploring, but also a quick find option would display unsigned registered players quickly. But for that extra element there could be plenty of unregistered good players out there to explore for.

Techniques, gaining techniques would have to be made much clearer and be more streamlined, personally I think key techniques should be more like areas (defense, offense, keeping etc) which a player can train in for cash. The more they train the better they become at those stats for that area, and the more techs they learn. Of course, experience should still be gained during matches, but faster than training (so teams with tons of cash don't become unbeatable quick). Equipping techs however should be done with experience points, so each technique requires a certain number of experience points meaning you can't have all the best techs unless your player is really good.

Prizes would be special techs (really fancy tackles and shots) as well as cash so that you can finance your players and their training (no more stamping around the Omega ruins to gets millions of gil :D). Simply taking part in a game would get you some small amount of money, but actually winning gives the better prizes, while coming out on top of a league or tournament gives you the serious cash and nifty extra techs.

Different 'levels' of match, aside from exhibition matches leagues and tournaments should be of different levels, the level you play at (e.g Grade E being lowest Grade A being highest, or perhaps being named by the cups they are for) is determined by your team level which can be raised by winning matches, or more quickly by winning cups. The bigger the cup the bigger the prizes, but the better the teams taking part.

The physics could do with a bit of tweaking, for example when passing or shooting, players who are in the path of the ball (ie within reach) should be able to block the ball, when the ball is deflected or thrown in by a keeper then the nearest player in the direction the ball goes should receive it, or at least the direction the ball goes should reflect where it is going. Different styles of passing and shooting would be nice instead of the same everytime, and passing to players right beside you could be more realistic than sticking the ball through their head.

Multiplay would be sweet, optional of course with a computer AI to play against solo if you wish. Your online team would have to be separate from your solo one to avoid h00ring in solo to get your team's stats up. The players would be made up from tons of randomly generated ones on a central server and could be found randomly when wandering around Spira or could be found in the list. As more players are required, they would be randomly generated. Games would be done either by initiating a quick game from online players. Or by entering any league that is available, applying for a league to the server would either return a league with spaces, or create one to join into. As soon as there is another player paired off with you a game would be scheduled to a time suitable to both (leagues and tournaments would probably be best seperated for time zones, so American tournaments would be separate from Brittish ones so players can actually get online at the same time). When there are enough players to begin you will be assigned a playing time when you next sign on, at this time you can then wait for the other player for say an hour before they forfeit the game.

These are just various ideas that would make a Blitzball game really awesome, it's not that I don't enjoy Blitzball as it is immensely, but it could have a number of refinements to it to make it even more fun (from a separate game standpoint). The reason I'm posting here is so I can see if other people feel the same way, and maybe see if anyone knows where I can post this to give it a chance in hell of happening :D

nightmare sumire
07-31-2003, 03:41 PM
i am showing my appreciation to what you have said .
You really pay full of your emotion in FF .
However , the Blitzball game is a MiniGame which relax your nerve across the game . We could not consider it as a professional sports game and it will not take the place of the serious plot .
But it really wonderful . It is also the tradition of FF.

haravikk
07-31-2003, 05:14 PM
I'm not thinking of it being above the FF games themselves, but it does have a definate prospect for a future of its own, although I say a seperate game it would technically be a game within a game. Set in the world of Spira after Sin is defeated (so no fiends to worry about).

For a mini game Blitzball is really fun and very well thought out for some simple stress relief or to gain overdrives. Seems a shame to leave it as 'just' a mini game to be forgetten when with a little added depth it could be awesome. It probably wouldn't be that hard to make either since the basic code and graphics engine are already in place.