PDA

View Full Version : >> Odin question

black orb
08-01-2003, 03:53 AM
>>> I killed odin i got his card but he doesnt appear in the GF screen, Why is that??

robfinalfantasy
08-01-2003, 04:35 AM
You cannot equip Odin nor can you summon him at will. He randomly appears at the beginning of battles. Try battling for a while and I am sure he will appear.

black orb
08-01-2003, 07:53 AM
>>> Thanks, It appared and suddenly killed the monsters in no time :D
but is a shame that you cant equip odin..

~*Crystal*~
08-01-2003, 03:04 PM
And here's a spoiler on Odin. If you want read it, it concerns an extra scene in the game and a new GF

If you have gotten Odin BEFORE the battle with Seifer in Disk 3, he will appear in the beggining of the battle and Seifer will kill him. Then, continue the battle and DON'T beat Seifer. Take the chance to stock up Auras and heal you members, but DON'T attack. After a while Gilgamesh will appear and beat him for you. Gilgamesh is a new GF exactly like Odin. Can't be equipped, but appears randomly. She will have four different swords. Some just damage, others (like Zantetsuken) kill.

Oh, and raise up your luck as much as you can. The greater the stat, the more often Odin will appear.

black orb
08-02-2003, 01:38 AM
>>> Thanks for the spoiler (I like spoilers), also I didnt knew that Gilgamesh was female in ff8..

Shockwave Pulsar
08-02-2003, 03:18 AM
I don't remember seeing that stated anywhere in the game. How do you know he is a female?

Big D
08-02-2003, 04:19 AM
Gilgamesh was definitely male in FFV, and the reference to 'the dimensional interval' suggests that FFVIII's Gilgamesh is the same being. In FFV, Gilgamesh was banished into the N-Zone or 'Cleft of Dimension' by Exdeath as punishment for his astounding incompetence. In the N-Zone, however, Gilgamesh earned redemption by sacrificing himself to save Bartz and co. So far, Gilgamesh has been the only character to appear in more than one FF game - I mean the exact same character, too, not just a repeated name, like Cid or FFIX's Locke and Gilgamesh.

In FFVIII, Gilgamesh's four swords are Masamune, Excalipur, Excalibur and Zantetsuken.

The first is a recurring weapon in Final Fantasy, being Edge's best blade in FFIV and Sephiroth's cutlery of choice in FFVII. Excalipur is a feeble copy of the legendary Excalibur which Gilgamesh mistook for the real article in FFV, and Zantetsuken is, of course, the steel-bladed sword which Odin lost when Seifer defeated him.

Does anyone have a translation for those blood-red characters which appear on the screen whenever Odin appears in FFVIII, and the different message which comes up when Seifer cleaves him?

black orb
08-02-2003, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by ~*Crystal*~
She will have four different swords. Some just damage, others (like Zantetsuken) kill.
>>> Thats why I thought it was female..

Mo-Nercy
08-02-2003, 12:42 PM
It may seem that Gilgamesh is far inferior to Odin since he has significantly less chance of using an instant kill attack. But I believe that Gilgamesh does come out more often and it comes out for bosses as well, I think.

Shockwave Pulsar
08-02-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by black orb
>>> Thats why I thought it was female..
I know, me too, i was asking Crystal.

~*Crystal*~
08-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Oh, I really don't know. I just ASSUMED Gilagamesh was female. I could be wrong...

Spatvark
08-05-2003, 03:29 AM
Yeah, I had Gilgamesh turn up against Ultimecia's final form and use Excalipur on it XD

§håd0w
08-10-2003, 03:37 PM
lol... why is that i am the only perosn who couldnt draw aura from seifer in disc 3. its not that gilgamesh came too early, but he didint have it. what kind of crap is that?

neeber
08-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Seifer may have been a too low a level.

§håd0w
08-10-2003, 09:40 PM
damnit. it would have been alot easier to beat adel if he had some aura to draw. but instead he had blizzard, thunder, and some other basic spell. i think it might have been cure

nanakixiii
08-11-2003, 01:22 AM
LOL! Masamune, I like your "FFVII for Atari" thing.

Does anyone have a translation for those blood-red characters which appear on the screen whenever Odin appears in FFVIII, and the different message which comes up when (SPOILER)Seifer cleaves him

Yes. When Odin comes up, it says "Zantetsuken" in Japanese. When Seifer does his thing to Odin, it saids "Zantestsuken... Gaeshi" which means "Zantestsuken Counter." So, there you go.

§håd0w
08-11-2003, 01:28 AM
haha i know. its the greatest thing ever

Big D
08-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by nanakixiii
When Odin comes up, it says "Zantetsuken" in Japanese. When Seifer does his thing to Odin, it saids "Zantestsuken... Gaeshi" which means "Zantestsuken Counter." So, there you go. Thanks! I thought it might be something like that. 'Zantetsuken' simply means 'steel-bladed sword', doesn't it? That's the name given to Odin's attack in some other FFs.

Shockwave Pulsar
08-11-2003, 03:28 AM
I think the correct translation is "Iron Cutting Sword". i might be wrong tho.

MJN SEIFER
08-18-2003, 03:16 PM
Zantestsuken... Gaeshi" which means "Zantestsuken Counter

Actually I heard It was

"Reverse Zan Tetsu Ken" (Reversed Iron Cut Swords)

Take the chance to stock up Auras and heal you members, but DON'T attack.

It doesn't Matter If You attack or not The out come is the same No matter What! I beat Seifer Down to 2334HP Then Used Lion Slash on him Seeing as Lion Slash Hit's about 12 times and each hit is 9999 Squall must have hit for 119988HP! meaning Seifer was on
-117654HP when Gilgamesh came!!

§håd0w
08-18-2003, 04:41 PM
i was hitting seifer for 300 per hit. im only at like lvl. 23

final_azure
08-31-2003, 02:04 AM
did you guys now the page is backwards