PDA

View Full Version : Who hated FFVIII?

§håd0w
08-01-2003, 01:36 PM
this is sorta basic, and its almost like the other poll about FFX. anyways, i realize that a lot of ppl didnt like FFVIII, i didnt at first, but then i went back and played it again, and fell in love with it. i dunno if this should be in general ff, or in FFVIII, but o well, they can move it if they dont like it here. so just click whether u liked it or not, and then tell what u liked/hated about it

Mo-Nercy
08-02-2003, 12:54 PM
I loved FF8. A bit different, granted. I prefer to think of it as a revolution which opened up a few doors for future FFs to come. Could have used some more development for characters that weren't Squall and Rinoa. A good story and the best graphics of it's time, as is the case with all Final Fantasy's.

A lot of people don't like FF8, I know. Some of these peeps don't think of FF8 as a 'good' RPG because their defenition of 'good' is 'traditional.' Or perhaps they had their own reasons, maybe they felt that the story changed suddenly when it went from killing sorceress' to saving the girl you love, then killing more sorceress' was a bit strange and ruined the story entirely. I think it was benefical to the plot and added more depth to the characters (even if it was just Squall and Rinoa.)

*sigh* The debate is getting a bit old.

darkchrono
08-03-2003, 08:27 AM
nope, my reasons for not liking it are simply that they did not develop the main cast of characters enough for you to start getting attached to them. And it is very hard to maintain an interest in an rpg if you do not care about the characters.

Dr. Casey
08-03-2003, 08:48 AM
It could have been a lot better. It had a couple of critical flaws.

First of all... it's too friggin' slow paced. Squall and co. run WAY too slow across the screen. In that one place Laguna is at at the start of Disc 2, it takes ages to get across some of the screens. The battles seem pretty slow-paced as well.

Also, the gameplay... well... let's just say that all this new crap confused a traditional RPGer like myself.

On the other hand, it did have an excellent story, and I loved the characters, which kind of balanced out the fact that it was a chore to play.

Stupid Moomba 88
08-03-2003, 07:27 PM
I loved it, in every way.

Although the magic system was confusing to traditional RPG-ers, it was a breath of fresh air and is possibly one of the most deep system EVER (Even deeper than FFVII's, although that WAS easier to understand)

Battles slow? I think they could be rather quick, and boss battles were actually hard at times, so they turned to be epic. Although DRAWing seemed repetetive, had u ever seen anything like it? Nope, that's cause FFVIII was a revolution. A change of the times.

What was wrong with the change in storyline? It was different to have a twist in roles, rather than knowing what you're fighting from the beginning, and knowing what to fight. The other characters? You HAD to find out their past through exploration. And since they all came from the same orphangae, they all knew their past so, their was no need to go into depths. They all explained it through it.

I think the reason, noone liked it was that it made life hard for itself by changing so much. Money from wages? No MP? No new weapons? Junctioning summons? It WAS so different and thats why, if you looked closer, you would find an epic, and one of the BEST FF's ever.

darkchrono
08-03-2003, 10:25 PM
the only problem i have with that is that it should not be difficult to get to know the characters. Attachment to the game and the characters should come naturally. It should not be a struggle. If it is a struggle, many people will not feel the desire to keep on playing a game that is difficult for them to get into.

Misfit
08-04-2003, 01:10 AM
I loved it, though a few characters got annoying, but it was a great game, imo. It was my first ps FF, too. ^_^' I liked the story, junctions, how the characters acted, etc. It was a great game to me. I'd love to play FFVIII with voice actors. @_@'

§håd0w
08-04-2003, 01:21 AM
yeah, now that everyone mentions it, the junction system was very difficult to get a hold of, but i still like it

Anubos
08-14-2003, 05:33 PM
FFVIII was the first ff that i had ever played. And to this day it is my favoirtie ff, and yes I have played all them now except for tactics. I thouhgt the storyline was agreat story, some say it was hard for them to get into it, I was into the game from the beginning when I saqw Squall and Seifer training, thats when I got into it and was into it every sec of the game till I beat it.

§håd0w
08-15-2003, 12:57 AM
sweet. now i finally found some peeps who enjoyed tha game as much as i did.

Outsider
08-15-2003, 01:31 AM
Hated it... FF8 is the worst FF EVER. Actually it's the only one I didn't like...

Anubos
08-15-2003, 02:19 AM
To : Outsider

Then why are you on thee FF8 Forum?

Outsider
08-15-2003, 03:12 AM
It's a poll asking if you liked or hated... I hated.

If I wasn't supposed to post make a poll asking if you think it's great or excellent. Since I hate it I will say nothing.

Meow
08-15-2003, 03:26 AM
Hmm. Poll like this just seems like... asking for it. But since no heads have been bitten off as of yet, i'll just eat my words and answer the friggin' question.

i'm on the fence about FF8. On the one hand, the main plot was *crap.* i mean, that time compression bit (that seemed almost slapped in) for the ending? Blah. The omnipresent bad guy - er... girl? - had absolutely no motive, and we didn't even meet her 'til the end of the game. i'm sorry, i don't even care if i beat you or not. All of the pivotal plot moments - WHAA? Same orphanage, eh? How trite - came across as stilted and tacked-on (not to mention !!let's go into space for no flippin' reason!!). And even before all that... the story just didn't purvey the feel of a WAR. It was almost like a passing mention of the whole thing; an excuse to start the story. It fell out as quickly as it came in. Square could have played up the wartime atmosphere to create a real sense of urgency - not to mention, show the necessity for SeeD. The only time i got anything close to it was during the train hijacking. Granted, i thought that was a spectacular little romp, but it's the only thing that gave me any impression of wartime tensions.

On top of that, the characters were flat stereotypes. Zell, the simple loudmouth; Selphie, the... er... hyper loudmouth. Etc. Etc.

On the other hand, the development between the two lovebirds was spectacular. i really enjoyed it; that was the aspect of the game that kept me going, most of the time.

The gameplay was good. Enemies had too many hitpoints, dragging out the battles far too long, but otherwise i enjoyed the gameplay. Junction system was a refreshing, though slightly frustrating, challenge. Apart from that it was all standard FF fare, which is pretty thumbs-up in my book any day of the week.

In my mind, the good and bad balance each other out, making for a pretty decent game.

prince leon
08-17-2003, 05:31 PM
I absolutely love FFVIII. It being different from the rest is just one of the reasons why I have it as my favorite game of all time.
I feel that I can relate to the struggles and many of the events that go on throughout the game (of course not the space hopping).
But all in all it was a spectacular game that I'll never forget.

UltimaSepheroth
08-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Final Fantasy VIII,
embraced by the open,
loathed by the stubborn

Outsider
08-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by prince leon
I absolutely love FFVIII. It being different from the rest is just one of the reasons why I have it as my favorite game of all time.

All FF games were original and different, not only FF8.

Aya Nekoneko
08-20-2003, 03:23 AM
It still remains in my top 3 favorite FF games.

But it did have some major flaws. Namely the battle system. Whoever thought up the entire concept of enemies leveling up with the main character should be shot. It's so utterly ridiculous. Especially since Squall is always in the main party, therefore having his levels be a good 5+ levels above the person with the 2nd highest level.

So did I enjoy being slaughtered for 9999 HP by an enemy every round? Um, not really. The only thing you can do is try and keep Squall's level close to the others by killing him off before the battle's end so he doesn't receive any EXP (and remembering to junction his GFs to another person in the party). One shouldn't be punished for spending time to level up characters. It's like spanking a kid for doing their chores.

But other than the horrible (and at the same time easily abusable) battle system/junction system/level up system, I loved the game for its plot and characters. =D

Sephex
08-20-2003, 04:32 AM
"your mom" :)

§håd0w
08-21-2003, 11:13 PM
sweet!!! finally someone agrees with me on the random last answer

Kenshin IV
08-22-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by UltimaSepheroth
Final Fantasy VIII,
embraced by the open,
loathed by the stubborn

Hahahahahaha, I think you've got that backwards, buddy.

TheAbominatrix
08-22-2003, 10:36 AM
I think we all just have different opinions. If we all like the same things, life would be boring. I didnt like VIII. Simple. Oh well if other people think it's the greatest game ever. I have never seen so much pointless, childish animosity in one thread. It's a game. It's different. Everyone has different and equally valid opinions.

MagicKnight Locke
08-22-2003, 11:07 AM
could someone who doesnt like ff please explain how is the game slow(only the world map),how the battles are slow(ya know theres an amazing thing in the config menu called battle speed and i tuned it to the highest abd for the first time got the feeling that i was attacking repetiadly not once every 30 seconds) and how the battles are repetive.If you dont like the battles on teh world map use a goddamn road or a car.

Well for me wheres the "Praise ff8 as the best game in the past present and future" option

TheAbominatrix
08-22-2003, 11:14 AM
They're speaking of the flow, not of the actual time speed. It just seems slow, it seems boring. It drags. You just want it to be over, really. Of course, that's for those who dont like the game.

Meow
08-23-2003, 03:42 AM
i agree that FF8 generally moved slowly, and i even *enjoyed* the game. The first exciting segment of the first disc that sticks in my memory was the train hijacking. What strikes me as most memorable about the rest of the disc is that i don't remember much else about it. The only segments of the entire first fourth of the game that i consider exciting and well-paced (and memorable) are the train hijacking and assasination attempt, which isn't such a great track record. So i'd definitely agree that there is some drag in the game. Also, more often than not, the flashbacks just felt like cheap game extenders with little point. i suspect they were primarily applied - other than as storyline, of course - to create suspense, since any writer knows that the best way to create suspense in a storyline is to suddenly remove the reader from said storyline and go off somewhere else. However, they always felt - to me - like annoying obstacles in the main tale instead of enrichment.

Also, the battles struck me as slow because, even in the average random encounter, monsters had an atmospheric amount of hit points. Paired with relatively low average party damage, it made for some long and lazy battles, even at the highest speed. If i wanted a slow FF battle system, i'd just switch on my GBA and play Tactics Ogre, or borrow FFT from Jim again. As it stands, though, i don't play the numeric FF games for drawn-out encounters, and FF8 was a little over the top.

Like i said, i actually did enjoy the game. i always have so much to criticize about it, but i really did like it. :p

Vaprice
08-24-2003, 04:15 AM
Man I liked it the first tim ei played. Then went over and over again through the game and just loved it. I think the card game was awesome.

Mr. Graves
08-24-2003, 01:27 PM
I like this game alot. It's a change from the gameplay pattern of the earlier FFs. Enemies and bosses go up in levels as the characters, and it makes for pretty even difficulty no matter how much or how little you level up. The only reason one would level up is to learn GF abilities. In an earlier FF game, you couldn't beat an advanced boss with low levels. That's not quite the case here. The junction system was neat, and since my style of play don't involve my using magic alot, I never had much of a problem with it.