PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to install Linux...*ph34rs*

Peegee
08-01-2003, 11:45 PM
http://lycoris.org

Does anybody know anything about this....what do they call them, flavour(?) of linux? I hope everything goes well..

What doesn't work on linux btw? I've already realised that I won't have avi playback, and a lot of my windows applications won't work...what else?

*Scared*

Dr Unne
08-02-2003, 12:33 AM
They call them "distros". I don't know anything about Lycoris except that it's supposedly for newbies. You will be able to play AVIs (using xine or mplayer). Everything that exists in Windows exists in some form in Linux. Sometimes in a superior form, sometimes inferior. None of your windows programs will work unless you run a windows emulator like wine, which is not all that easy to use.

*cough* http://www.gentoo.org *cough*

Peegee
08-02-2003, 02:08 AM
The webpage you linked references it as a 'flavor'...I argue it's a 'flavour', but nobody listened...I ended up talking to myself.

Anyway, I replied because I want to know where I can get wine, or some other windows emulator (the only one I know of is x-windows, or something with those letters combining into a term).

And for clarification, "which is not all that easy to use" means not very easy to use?

Dr Unne
08-02-2003, 02:26 AM
www.winehq.org Yes, it's hard to use. Unless you have Gentoo. Then it's easier.

Garland
08-02-2003, 02:41 AM
To use most programs in Linux, you have to run them through a Windows emulator? If Windows emulators are as inferior to the real thing as videogame emulators are, than I have to wonder why anyone would use Linux. Essentially, using Linux means using an OS that supports fewer programs, and to get the full benefit of it, you have to emulate an inferior version of its biggest competitor.

Shoeberto
08-02-2003, 02:52 AM
<font color="#009999">
If you want a Linux distro that's like Windows, just get Lindows. It's not a Windows emulator, but everything is supposed to be prettymuch set up like Windows.

Peegee
08-02-2003, 03:11 AM
The point of all this is to have an operating system that doesn't lag whenever I try to do something simple like watch media files, or doesn't freeze up randomly, forcing me to go into task manager and shutting it down manually.

bleh...EXPEE sux.

Dr Unne
08-02-2003, 03:13 AM
<i>To use most programs in Linux, you have to run them through a Windows emulator? If Windows emulators are as inferior to the real thing as videogame emulators are, than I have to wonder why anyone would use Linux. Essentially, using Linux means using an OS that supports fewer programs, and to get the full benefit of it, you have to emulate an inferior version of its biggest competitor.</i>

Linux supports tons and tons and tons of Linux programs. To use most WINDOWS programs in Linux, you have to use a Windows emulator. The solution is not to use Windows programs; use Linux programs instead that do the same thing as the Windows programs. Emulating Windows programs is for people who still need Windows programs for some reason, either because it's all they can use, or because it's what they like best, or because something exists in Windows that doesn't exist in Linux. Personally I run Warcraft III in a Windows emu, and it runs perfectly, but that's the only thing I use wine for.

Linux runs Windows programs and Linux ones. Whereas Windows just runs Windows programs. It also refuses to even recognize Linux partitions on your hard drive. It happily pretends it's the only thing that exists.

Peegee
08-02-2003, 03:30 AM
lycoris does not detect my "VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adaptor" -- which is attached to my motherboard (I have two sound and video cards on this computer). If I lack internet access it makes the entire endeavor completely pointless, doesn't it?

What should I do? Give up?

PS: Dr Unne plays Warcraft III?

Dr Unne
08-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Using linux means stuff doesn't always just work by itself, sometimes you have to fix it. Google is your friend. Search for "linux kernel VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adaptor". My kernel says it has support for VIA Rhine cards. You might have to compile support for it into your kernel yourself. Something you would've done anyways had you used Gentoo, as part of the install process. forums.gentoo.org is also your friend. *wanders off*

PS: Yes I do, point being?

Peegee
08-02-2003, 03:48 AM
No point. Though I was wondering if nobody played WC3 due to the low turnout in my general gaming discussion thread.

It's not a big deal.

ZeZipster
08-03-2003, 10:11 AM
Tons of linuxes.
Redhat
Mandrake
Gentoo
Knoppix
Slackware
SuSe

Those are all fairly popular. But you shouldn't listen to any one. Different people like differen't linuxes, and you are different people. So you should go research which Linux will suit your needs. GO to www.linuxiso.org for more distros of linux.

Post Post, I use an emulator in Windows to run Linux. Not the other way around.

Citizen Bleys
08-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Don't install Gentoo unless you have about six months to spare and don't mind printing out 20 pages of small-type step-by-step instructions.

It might be OK once you get it installed...But just try getting it installed.

*can install RedHat in 20 minutes without effort*

Dr Unne
08-04-2003, 01:24 AM

It takes a couple days. At most. 99% of which is spent just waiting for things to compile. No effort required on your part. I install it while I'm sleeping. It's worth the trouble.

Peegee
08-04-2003, 01:39 AM
It's a good thing I didn't get any of you to do too much work (hopefully), because I settled for something completely different. Aston Shell (http://www.astonshell.com).

It takes up a lot less memory than windows, and though windows apps are the reason for crashing, I can handle that. Remember: I only asked about linux because windows was lagging all the time and I didn't like that.

Thanks though. I now have a 'distro' of linux I can install later (and I intend to have a linux computer later in life)