PDA

View Full Version : They were good for their time...

Dr. Casey
08-03-2003, 08:12 AM
Although it can't stand up to the standards of today, Final Fantasy 4's story was pretty good at the time.

BAH! Typing that in my post makes me sick, even if it wasn't serious. Who gets annoyed whenever those professional reviewing peoples say something like that, like it's an absolute FACT that the older Final Fantasies are obsolete and can't stand up to new RPGs? And they do, don't think they don't.

The games were definitely good for their time, obviously, but they're good now, and Final Fantasy 4's story basically PWNs the one in every other RPG ever made, even today. The only other story that rivals it is Phantasy Star 4's.

Hmm... I can't think of something good to conclude this topic.

Sheep.

TheAbominatrix
08-03-2003, 08:25 AM
Final Fantasy IV was an incredibly deep, involving storyline. The characters were very deep, very well realized, and overall it was an amazing game. But there's the simple fact that a great deal of people cant be bothered with games that dont have amazing graphics. The early FF's were all amazing, but of course their graphics dont measure up to today's. But what should that matter? Games are not about eyecandy. I'd rather play a game with crappy graphics and an amazing storyline than great graphics and nothing more. Just like with people you meet... a pretty face is great, but it's nothing when there's no substance behind it.

theundeadhero
08-03-2003, 11:45 AM
I'd like to say that I agree. O.K., Bye

Sefie1999AD
08-03-2003, 12:01 PM
I agree too. Those who say the story, battle system, music, mini-games, side quests, bosses, characters and whatnot were good for their own time but not any more are mostly people who are blinded by eye candy (aka graphics who**s). But what they don't realise is that the game is only outdated in the graphics department, which certainly doesn't mean other parts of the game are outdated. For example, FF5 was made 11 years ago, and I still haven't found an RPG which has a better gameplay than FF5. As another example, FF4 has a very well designed and involving storyline. IMHO, it still isn't outdated, and there are lots of RPGs nowadays that shine with graphics but their story falls sub-par.

Finally, I'd like to say this. The early FFs have become classics. A classic is something which contains features that never die or get old, and they suit to every time. So the early FFs will never be outdated.

Vermachtnis
08-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Finally, there are more people out there that think like I do. I was starting to think that I was the only one who thought Final Fantasy IV was the best game ever. All I have to say is think you!

Wightraven
08-03-2003, 11:25 PM
*smiles happily and sighs at all the bad grammar and general nonsense* *writes post*

I love the old FF games. FF, FFIV and FFVI rate above FFVII, VIII, and X in my book. Hands down.

However, let's not overlook those idiots like I've seen in a gaming mag whose name escapes me (no, not EGM some other one) who hate all new games and worship Pac-Man as the best game ever which will never be topped.

Sheep, indeed.

Mr. Graves
08-04-2003, 04:22 PM
I've just started playing FF4 on Chronicles. Awesome Game. :)

Flying Mullet
08-04-2003, 04:31 PM
Yes the older Final Fantasies are definitely the best. It's sad that so many of today's games are ranked by how good their eye-candy is and how well the game "flows"; i.e. you don't have to level up outside of the storyline. Playing the game straight through(ala FFX) allows you to beat the game without much effort.

Super Famcom/NES rules! :rock:

Outsider
08-05-2003, 01:19 AM
I don't care how crappy the grafix are (and the grafix were pretty good when you thing it was made in 1991)!

FF4 has a great plot, great storyline, great characters, great villains, and great songs... It's one of the best games I've ever played

And those ppl who say that it's not good anymore don't know what they're saying... FF4 introduced a lot of new stuff to RPGs, and newer RPGs use this stuff nowadays...

Rase
08-16-2003, 07:10 AM
I've always found that the story, depth, complexity, and feel of the game are what really count and the graphics are just icing on the cake. I won't play a game that looks just like real life but has a story like " Heres four guys. Kill this guy". Glad thier are others.

chibijuhachigou
08-16-2003, 06:17 PM
No offense to anybody here but...

I know good graphics don't necessarily make a good game, just don't forget that bad graphics don't automatically make a good game either.

Outsider
08-16-2003, 09:48 PM
No one said that yet...

OF COURSE everybody likes beatiful grafix, but it's nothing if the history and the characters sucks. Just take a look at FF8 and you'll understand.

the blitzer
08-16-2003, 09:56 PM
I agree 100%. Graphics don't matter. It's the stroyline thats main thing.

Dalkaen
08-17-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by chibijuhachigou
No offense to anybody here but...

I know good graphics don't necessarily make a good game, just don't forget that bad graphics don't automatically make a good game either.

Did anyone say that?

Besides, for their times, those FFs had excellent graphics, and I remain steadfast in the belief that FFVI has better graphics than that of FFVII. FFVII's graphics were hard on the eyes, while those of FFVI were pleasing to the eye. Just because they don't have polygonal graphics, doesn't mean that they're inferior.

I like all of the FF games that I have played. I prefer the older ones, because I like the characters and stories better. FFVIII had excellent graphics, but its plot was contrived.

However, let's look at a game with horrible graphics, such as Tecmo's Secret of the Stars. Horrible, horrible RPG. So yes, we're not biased into thinking that good graphics means a crap game.