PDA

View Full Version : Logic - the music editor

-N-
08-05-2003, 12:34 AM
Not sure if this goes in the Lounge (music), Writers corner (writing music), or Help forum (using a program), but oh well.

Anyone used Logic? It's a music writing software. Anyways, I'm concerned about finding good MIDI guitar emulation, as the program outputs in MIDI format. The MIDI guitars suck, quite frankly, and I'm looking for accurate representation of a distortion guitar and a classical guitar. Strangely enough, the bass, drums, and piano simulation are alright...

Ø
08-09-2003, 03:04 PM
I haven't used the program myself, but if I may offer some "professional" advice? :)

I've been playing keyboard/piano since I was about 7 (nearly 13 years) and if you're looking for accurate MIDI representation of a guitar from a soundcard, you can forget it. Because of the way soundcards work, they simply don't have enough beef to accurately model a guitar sound, distorted, classical or anything else. Just like getting a truly authentic flute or trumpet sound, guitars can be stupidly difficult things to emulate properly unless you're willing to spend a great deal of money on good kit.

Software synths (as I have described on your other thread) come a little closer and providing you can be arsed to tweak all the parameters you can get some okay-ish sounds... but to be honest no MIDI compatible sounds can to the job 100% right :(

-N-
08-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Yeah... I basically solved this problem by getting my friend who is a guitarist to record his works via audio. He's recorded for some time, so he has the necessary equipment. We jam together often, so he does the guitar parts, I do the synthing and such.

But yeah, it does seem pretty bleak for MIDI guitars. I've actually played the piano since I was 7 too (but not for as long as you - so you must be older than me :)) so... yeah. *runs back to the other thread* :D

Ø
08-09-2003, 10:34 PM
There is one other option... actual real-life MIDI guitars :D

The pickups sense the vibration and determine the note value, velocity and other data, then all this information can be output through MIDI to an external sequencer :) As well as being played as you would a normal guitar, these badboys can be used to trigger synths for some really cool effects not possible with a traditional electric guitar... I've seen them used in some live performances and they are far out :D