PDA

View Full Version : Changes in Origins

Tarshish
08-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Well I've been playing through origins and FF1 seems different in some of the less obvious places. I'm kind of pissed about the "evil" eye. It doesn't cast doom (aka rub) as much as it did in the nes version, but seems to like bolt2 more which makes leveling up there a little more difficult but oh well. It also seems like random battles occur more often, but that might just be me. But damn is that new music awesome. I love the updated town theme with the classical guitar and flute.

I guess we can use this topic to post anything that you come across that seems different (but not just names because those are pretty obvious).

Flying Mullet
08-05-2003, 08:04 PM
The cartridge looks totally different. It's this wierd flat round one and I can't get it to fit into the NES for the life of me.

Seriously though, I like the fact that all of the elemental weapons and armor work now, it adds an extra bit of strategy to the game.

Master.Pug
08-05-2003, 08:16 PM
yeah, and there are 4 cool dwarf-guys in the first inn!
:D :D
(i like dwarfs)

Wightraven
08-06-2003, 12:04 AM
Um... weren't those old men, not dwarves?

Sefie1999AD
08-06-2003, 12:41 AM
The bosses in Origins have a lot more HP than in NES.

*SPOILERS*

I'm first listing the NES HP, then the WSC/PSX HP.

Lich (1st): 400 HP --> 800 HP
Lich (2nd): 500 HP --> 1000 HP
Kary/Malirith (1st): 600 HP --> 1200 HP
Kary/Malirith (2nd): 700 HP --> 1400 HP
Kraken (1st): 800 HP --> 1600 HP
Kraken (2nd): 900 HP --> 1800 HP
Tiamat (1st): 1000 HP --> 2000 HP
Tiamat (2nd): 1100 HP --> 2200 HP
WarMech: 1000 HP --> 2000 HP
Chaos: 2000 HP --> 4000 HP

So Tiamat (2nd encounter) in FF Origins has more HP than Chaos in FF1 NES. Some enemies also regenerate at the beginning of every turn in PSX. WarMech is one of those. The enemies in Ice Cave also seem a lot harder in FF Origins. A group of Mages seem to cast Fire3 and Bane a lot more eagerly than in NES, and that can lead to Game Over many times.

While the enemies are harder in Origins, there's also many minor additions that make the game easier than in NES:

Being able to buy 99 items at the same time.
Ineffective feature can be turned off.
You can dash by holding the circle (O) button.
You can use Soft, Life and Life2 in battles.
When buying weapon and armor, you get to see if it's more powerful than the one you've got equipped. Weapons and armor also go to item storage, so you can have a lot more of them than in NES.
You can select an easy or normal difficulty. I won't go into explaining how ridiculously simple the easy difficulty is, though.

Other changes between NES and PSX:

Intro FMV.
Cutscenes, some extra dialogue and characters doing "!" expressions at times.
Bonus galleries.
I think the ship mini-game has different bonuses.
New music for bosses, Fiends and Chaos. The bridge-crossing theme also plays during the ending now, and there's the text "The End" in space with Prelude playing, just like in FFs 4-7.

I think Dr Unne listed some more changes in his WSC and PSX reviews.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-07-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Sephiroth1999AD
The enemies in Ice Cave also seem a lot harder in FF Origins. A group of Mages seem to cast Fire3 and Bane a lot more eagerly than in NES, and that can lead to Game Over many times.There's a reason for that. Apparently, the enemies in the original version of FFI each had a list of special moves, but they could only use their moves in a specific order, so the battle would have to drag on a little for the really powerful stuff to be used. In the FFOrigins, the enemies have full access to their moves, so they can use them at any point during the battle.

robfinalfantasy
11-20-2003, 01:19 AM
I noticed another new thing they added. In the NES version of FF2 equipping a second weapon would not increase the character's attack. In Origins equipping a second weapon DOES increase his/her attack. Thank goodness they made that change.

SpikingZero
11-20-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
There's a reason for that. Apparently, the enemies in the original version of FFI each had a list of special moves, but they could only use their moves in a specific order, so the battle would have to drag on a little for the really powerful stuff to be used. In the FFOrigins, the enemies have full access to their moves, so they can use them at any point during the battle.

Yes, a lot of the things seemed "fixed" or in "proper order" in the NES version. Say the encounter rate was fixed at, say, 30 steps. In every 30 steps, you'd have a battle, each and every time. For Origins, a battle could begin from step 1 all the way through to 30, but it's completely randomized.

With the battles themselves, they're also in a specific order. The party of enemies who you must battle always run in an order, and aren't completely randomized. So, if you're looking for WarMech in the Sky Castle, count how many battles you fight before you face him. If it's the same amount of times before you see him again, then there you go.

But then again, these are in a way just guesses. They're educated guesses so don't get all stingy on me if (when?) I'm proven wrong.

Inuyasha23
11-20-2003, 04:14 PM
I noticed that on the way to fight garland it's a lot easier and garland himself is easier.
Though i guess im not one to talk i didnt actually play the original, i downloaded a japanese rom.

Fredde
11-24-2003, 09:21 AM
I've been moaning about this before, but:

The inside of the cyclone on FF2 has changed from a cool, wind-walled place with dangerous pools of water to some boring old fortress with elecrical floors.

The chochoboos (damn, I can never spell that right) in the same game is MUCH easier to catch. I mean, they (it?) doesn't even hide anymore!

But I do like the new "going-into-the-jade-portal"-animation. Real neat.

Sasquatch
11-25-2003, 05:13 PM
I noticed another new thing they added. In the NES version of FF2 equipping a second weapon would not increase the character's attack. In Origins equipping a second weapon DOES increase his/her attack. Thank goodness they made that change.

I don't think the attack matters, actually. I think in the original, it didn't increase the numbers, but you still attacked twice, and brought on more damage. It's the same in Origins, but they put the numbers on there to make it more obvious.