PDA

View Full Version : Vagrant story

vivi_rocks
08-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Was the game ever a big hit like the ff games and will there be a 2nd one. ive played it but its really weird

Mr. Mojo Risin
08-06-2003, 05:49 AM
didn't sell 500,000 copies. there will be no sequel, but that group also did FF tactics, so they'll probably do something else

Blackmage
08-06-2003, 02:38 PM
It wasn't nearly as big as the FF series, since after all FF is their main product. Good game, though.

Big D
08-07-2003, 06:09 AM
I thought it was brilliant, but it wouldn't be easy to make a fitting sequel.
After all, what'd be the plot?
Ashley has become 'The Vagrant', the wandering bearer of the Rood Inverse. Sydney's final act was to frame him for Duke Bardorba's murder (Sydney's betrayal or a team effort? Who can say...)
Besides having the Church soldiers and Riskbreakers searching for him, there's little to form the basis of a new plot, unless they add another nemesis who wants to become another Dark-controlling demon. It'd be nice to see Callo Merlose in a leading role, though, perhaps with Tieger (assuming he survived) and Neesa as supporting major characters.

However, that's unlikely to happen.:cry:

VS did get rave reviews in Japan, so let's not abandon hope just yet...

Iceglow
01-08-2004, 05:14 PM
True but still one of the things I'd like to see is maybe a Vagrant story tactics as the idea works what with a small team of risk breakers on one side or other characters it works for onimusha why not VS?

Lord Chainsaw
01-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Vagrant Story is simply brilliant.

I've never seen a story flow so smoothly before. It was just like a book. By far the greatest story I've ever seen in a video game.

The fact that Sydney played everybody in the game's prologue by "searching for the key" when he already knew he had it was brilliant

Very unforgettable characters. Ashley, Rosencratz, Guildenstern and of course, Sydney.

I love the villains in the game.

The way they lead you to believe it is Sydney when in fact it is actually the paladin Guildenstern.

I'd love to see a continuation of the story.

Vagrant Story 2 would make my day.

CVFreak
01-16-2004, 12:40 AM
Hrmmm

Some very interesting ideas on this thread, I have to agree with all the positive views on this game, It actualy happens to be one of my all time favorite Square titles, this was actualy an impulse buy for me, and boy was it a smart move on my part, never have I replayed a game so much and been so enraptured by the story.

The story was top notch and most importantly MATURE ! The sound was over the top, so much I actualy ordered the OST ( I still listen to it alot ! ), my favorite songs were the abandoned mines and the ending theme ( so epic sounding ! ), the comic style text was a new thing, the undead ( I love em ! ) were great, the dungeons were never boring, and that crazy cleric/priest was so fun to beat on. Even the weapon forging was rad.

Such a highly underated game, a VG2 would rock my world.

Oh, and was anyone else sorta creeped out with that dagger at the (bleep) and the final picture close up with you know who in it after the credits ? That actualy gave me chills when I thought about it more...

LONG LIVE THE VKP !!!

Lord Chainsaw
01-19-2004, 04:39 AM
My favorite track from the game was the very last battle.

I remember listening to it during my no save game getting the shit scared out of me that I wasn't gonna block bloody sin in time.

Aphelion
02-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Now I'm playing Vagrant Story and Grandia. Two great games.

aeris2001x2
06-02-2004, 05:40 AM
imho opinion this is the biggest tragedy in game history. how can such a lovely story have such horrid game play???

crono_logical
06-02-2004, 06:21 AM
You obviously didn't put the effort in to learning the battle system then :p

I thought it was a pretty nice game and I liked the battle system too since it was something new to me and still usable when you got used to it, although the bosses were disappointingly easy - most could be finished off with several chains.

aeris2001x2
06-02-2004, 06:24 AM
i could never do the chains so by the end the bosses were insane. and i dont want to sit there doing hundreds of chains...yawn...which is why i used a max stat cheat...then i could enjoy the story at leisure.

freaky
06-04-2004, 12:55 AM
Man, i have already played VS, but, shoot, after some time of playing, the bosses were really dificult, and the system of weapons , really suck, but the history line it was really cool !

Chris
07-19-2004, 11:10 PM
Come on, I have not played a game that lacks nearly as much as Vagrant Story. And the whole underground thing was horrible.
In my opinion Vagrant Story is absolutely horrible.
By the end of it, I wanted to f****** kill myself, the whole game was a constant headache. Horrible, just horrible....there's not been a game worse than this piece of s*** please excuse my language...BUT I SIMPLY HATE THIS GAME. Man did Square Soft take a big leap towards the wrong road....Never again will I set my eyes on this pathetic excuse of a game.

xxYunalesca
07-26-2004, 02:16 PM
My bf is playing this game currently and he says he's 19% done and he's over it already...I'm not even sure if I want to play it... :eep:

Lord Chainsaw
07-26-2004, 06:28 PM
You should play it. It is an amazing game. I've never seen a video game story done quite as well as Vagrant's.

You'll have to set aside a bit of time to learn the ropes though. But if you do you won't be left disappointed.

In a way, VS is the Shakespeare of video games. Hey, if you want further proof just take a look at Guildenstern and Rosencrantz.

aeris2001x2
07-27-2004, 10:36 AM
but the game play sucks. if they had released it as an ANIME then it probably would have been one of the best ever. but its a game, regardless of how shakespearian the story is(and it really is a work of art), it needs gameplay. not wandering for days in samey barren dungeons...

kikimm
07-28-2004, 10:18 PM
I've been thinking about buying this game for awhile. Although everywhere I've gone, besides ebay, amazon and stuff, none of them have it. I don't really like buying things off the internet, but this looks like a good game, from what I've heard.

Poor gameplay doesn't bother me as long as the story is excellent...or at least good.

:D

Lord Chainsaw
07-29-2004, 09:45 PM
I actually liked the gameplay. If you just go in there swinging your fandango or whatever it's called like a madman, well then you're going to be doing nothing but missing and a few 0's and 1's.

The main flaw I saw with the battle system was that there was no way to quickly switch between weapons during battle without the painfully long trek of going to the menu and switching there. Being that you will need to use a different weapon on almost every enemy type, this can get really annoying until maybe you're third time through where everything dies in one hit anyway.

You also can't chain like a madman. I think this is where people mess up the most in the game. Sometimes you just have to stop the chain once you get your risk too high. You need to keep that risk relatively low because is VERY important to land the first hit of the chain. If you do not do this, then you won't be able to fully take advantage of the chain skill that adds a certain % to the total damage you've done already in the chain. That's why you have roots also. You've got to use the roots sometimes instead of continuing that chain when you've got a risk of 70. The only exception to everything I've just said is the last boss, who for some reason doesn't take damage from anything. He's the bastard you've got to chain 25-30 hits a time on if you ever hope of beating. Landing the first chain hit on him means squat cause even with a 2-hander with 80 affinity for evil and 3 times through the game I still only did about 6 damage to him.

You just got to know the ropes of the game. I can see the weapon switching as being the big problem in the game though. If only they had incorporated a way for a quick switch the battle system would have worked out so much better. It's still a pretty good system though.

black orb
08-08-2004, 06:26 AM
*Looks for Vagrant Story reviews*
>>> OMFG!! I cant believe I missed this Square title for almost 4 years, I gonna buy this game Now!!

kikimm
08-08-2004, 10:26 PM
I would go out and buy it right now, but seeing as I'm broke, that makes it kind of hard. :shame:

:D