PDA

View Full Version : restore deleted files?

syun_ukiya
08-06-2003, 01:51 PM
how to restore deleted files after you empty your recycle bin. I've deleted one file and I really need it back, but I emptied my recycle bin already, is there a way to recover the file?

Dr Unne
08-06-2003, 04:23 PM
There's an old program that came with DOS called UNDELETE, which might or might not work. Some antivirus programs also "protect" files you delete so you can get them back later, I know Norton does. If you've been using your computer since you deleted it, you might well have already obliterated the file on your HD though.

syun_ukiya
08-07-2003, 01:28 PM
no, I'm usin' mcafee and I didn't use the shreadder option.

what about the UNDELETE, how to do that?

Dr Unne
08-07-2003, 03:37 PM
First find a copy. I don't know where to get it. Google for "undelete programs" or something maybe. Honestly, it's probably too late at this point. You need to undelete things right after you delete them to have a good chance of getting it back.

Citizen Bleys
08-07-2003, 03:44 PM
UNDELETE is on the Windows 95 CD, but unless you have an old copy of 95 or a pre-95 OS (Windows 3.11 or DOS), then you'll have to search the internet for it.

Personally, I find UNDELETE to be horribly unreliable.

syun_ukiya
08-08-2003, 10:25 AM
hay! unreliable, I thought so...

Citizen Bleys
08-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Unreliable as in it usually doesn't recover the file I want, not unreliable as in it causes any sort of problem at all when it *does* work.

It's still worth a TRY, if you can find it. I just wouldn't go around deleting critical things and counting on UNDELETE to bring it back from the dead.