PDA

View Full Version : final fantasy ship dates...???

project_mayhem
08-07-2003, 12:07 AM
according to eb games the pc version ships on 10/28/03

and the ps2 version ships on 01/06/04 (subject to change)

wtf? why ?

Bahamut2000X
08-07-2003, 12:13 AM
No reason as it's probally in correct seeing as Sony doesn't want Square releaseing the PC version until afetr the PS2 one (and Sony does have power in the matter as they own a good chunk of Square) as well as Square would just be stupid to miss Christmas. Their probalyl gonna pull a FFX on us and release it 2-3 months earlier then they say.

Lionx
08-07-2003, 02:54 AM
Sony has EQ, and no one espeically not FFXI for the PS2 should be able to compete with them. But for the PC, its free for all. So thats why.

project_mayhem
08-07-2003, 03:55 AM
the main reason i thought it was odd was there was no disclaimer on the pc version saying that the date may change which means they're guessing

i dunno i definately hope its out for christmas

Bahamut2000X
08-07-2003, 05:50 AM
Think of it this way...would any company that can release their product already actually miss their biggest selling time?

Krazagore
08-07-2003, 08:35 AM
The release date for the PS2 version is later because the HDD isn't coming out till January...

Can't very well play FFXI without a HDD can ya? :D

inlineskating29
08-23-2003, 02:43 AM
EG was the fisrt mmorpg i ever played and i was very very*10 dissapointed

I'm Sick of You!
08-24-2003, 01:48 AM
The worst mmorpg ever made was the game Dark Age of Camelot, whose most interesting feature is colorful jester hats. EG? You say EQ is baaad? I could tell you to try DAoC but I'm not that cruel. And Sony is just trying to say FFXI for the PS2 sucks.

SubMatrix
09-28-2003, 01:59 AM
According to a marketing report released back in 2001 by Square when discussing the release order (PC vs PS2) it was decided that the game would ship for the PS2 months before shipping for PC. The reason was the belief that the primary market for MMORGP's existed only on the PC and a PS2 version released along side a PC version would mean virtually no sales for the PS2. Their belief was that hard core FF games (which are quite abundant in Japan) would purchase the game and HDD for the PS2 if it meant getting a 2 month leg up on the PCer's. Seeing as how PS2 sales dropped by 75% after the PC version was released in Japan and continued to decline afterwards I guess they were right.

The plan was to do the same things in America- release the PS2 version months before the PC game would be available simply to create and facilitate demand. Sony was reluctant to market the HDD to the U.S. however, as they didn't believe sales would warrent the effort with FF currently being the only game utilizing the HDD. Square decided to go ahead and release the PC roughly on time and follow with the PS2 version whenever Sony decided to come around (which currently appears to be sometime in mid-March).