PDA

View Full Version : links

Kikyo
08-11-2003, 07:53 AM
i'm starting a site and i had a few questions about links...
do you need to ask permission to put a link to another site on your page? i'm going to have a page all for links to other related sites and i don't know if it's necessary to ask and...
who would you ask and how? how could i get permission from THIS site?
i just know there'll be a completely logical answer and i'll feel stupid :cry: but oh well!

Doomgaze
08-11-2003, 08:11 AM
No.

crono_logical
08-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Just don't link directly to files or downloadable content on the other site, people get very annoyed with that. The pages themselves (especially home page) are fine in general though.

Citizen Bleys
08-11-2003, 03:13 PM
EoFF even has a button image you can use to link back to us. It's on the main site at http://www.eyesonff.com/

The only thing you need to get approval for is if you want to affiliate...that is, you link to us and we link back to you in our affiliates list. If you want linkback, you've got to get Roogle's OK.

Dr Unne
08-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Some people have actually been taken to court for linking to commercial sites. "Deep linking" I think they called it, i.e. linking to an html page deep within a company's site instead of linking to the main front page. I think the court struck down the case, but I don't remember. Moral of this story, link to whoever you want, it's not like they can stop you. And most people are glad to have more traffic being thrown their way.

Citizen Bleys
08-11-2003, 04:48 PM
*shrugs*

Well, it certainly didn't offend me to be asked something I could say yes to, so I guess it doesn't hurt to ask a site's staff before linking to them.

I never ask, though, I just link. Most people *do* want the extra traffic. (Plus, usually I know the people I'm linking to personally)

Kikyo
08-12-2003, 08:58 AM
koo:)